My Dr. read me the riot act today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
She says that if I ever want to have a baby I'd better hurry up because I'm 34 and your fertility goes down 85% between 30 and 40, and by the time you are 40 it's only a 15% chance of conceiving on your own! :eek: She also told me all the stuff about increased chances of Down's after the age of 35, etc etc.....she made quite a fuss, which is odd because a year or two ago she told me I have lots of time.

I have gone from being 100% against having children to being ambivalent. I like the idea of having kids from about age 6 on....and especially having adult children and seeing how they turn out. Babies and toddlers however....:yikes:

UGH. Everytime I try to think about this seriously my mind changes the subject and I am on to other things. But I really do need to make a decision on this eventually......

Mrs. Edge said:

I have gone from being 100% against having children to being ambivalent. I like the idea of having kids from about age 6 on....and especially having adult children and seeing how they turn out. Babies and toddlers however....:yikes:

There's always adoption. It's hard to find adults willing to adopt older children.

You should have a child because you want to have one now and are ready to have one now and not because your chances are this or that at genetic problems and so on.

I have the opposite problem. I love babies, but kids around the age of 6-15 make me absolutely batshit crazy.

Recently my cousin adopted two little girls - sisters....a month later she found out she was prego - for quads.... :ohmy:

Mrs. Edge said:

I like the idea of having kids from about age 6 on....and especially having adult children and seeing how they turn out. :yikes:

I apply this comment to the following incident and it makes me laugh out loud.. Hey Jess, remember your first visit to our house, just in time to hear the answer machine say,,,,"Hello, this is the Police Department, and we need to talk to you about what your son did tonight!!!"

(Daniel was caught with cigarettes!) :yikes:

I'd say take Daniel for a test run but right now, he's already on his own...how about take Ricky????! :lol:

wow... that's a big choice to make...

I'm 22, and six months ago the doctor told me that it would be really hard for me to have kids and I have posibilites of get infertile, or having problematic pregnancies. I was like "ok, never wanted to have kids anyway" but that was an option before I knew my body wasn't healthy enought to keep a baby.

I still think that I don't want to have kids.. cuz i'm affraid of the entire process, the pregnancy and then raising a baby... I would love him/her with my whole heart i'm sure, but I wouldn't know how to handle all the things that moms have to (that's why I admire moms :) )... besides I always thought that I would be a very busy person, my priority would be my art so I don't know if I even deserve to bring a child to the world.

some people ask me what would i do if I want to have a baby... first of all, I have to think the reason to have one.. I can't even take care of myself!... but I like children, I like how they learn and to see them grow, I like to make things for them, that's one of the reasons I am an illustrator... but I know that having my own children is a completely different thing...

Last edited:
Mrs. Edge said:

UGH. Everytime I try to think about this seriously my mind changes the subject and I am on to other things. But I really do need to make a decision on this eventually......

Jess, don't have babies simply because time is "running out." I think anyone who is ambivalent should take that as a sign screaming "NO!" I get to see the ambivalent parents and the results of their indecision every day. It's not pretty.

Re: Re: Re: My Dr. read me the riot act today!

Palace_Hero said:
Police arrest people for possession of fags over in your country?

You can't buy them if you're a minor. I'm not sure if you actually get arrested....maybe just a warning or a ticket?

I heard that Tom applies scientology to the stunts he does in his movie... one of those rare moments I see Entertainment tonight or other similar show... LOL

Everyone else has already said what I would say.

Time to get busy, but.... get busy doing what??
Good luck

Re: Re: Re: Re: My Dr. read me the riot act today!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

You can't buy them if you're a minor. I'm not sure if you actually get arrested....maybe just a warning or a ticket?

Daniel appeared in adult court (he was only 17) and ordered to return with a 3-page essay that he had to write and read in open court about the evils of smoking.....it was that or 30 hours of cleaning the freeways.....he chose the essay and a slap on the wrist...!

Re: Re: My Dr. read me the riot act today!

martha said:

Jess, don't have babies simply because time is "running out." I think anyone who is ambivalent should take that as a sign screaming "NO!" I get to see the ambivalent parents and the results of their indecision every day. It's not pretty.

Exactly.

Unless you REALLY want one, and for the right reasons, having a baby isn't something you should do because your doctor scolds you.

And statistically, she may be right but don't forget that you are living proof that women can conceive later in life :wink:

I'm only 20, so I have lots of time to change my mind on the matter, but I've swung more to the 'never want to have kids side'. Not necessarily out of selfishness, either. But sortof. I don't want to subject a child to the rigors of contemporary life. I hated being a kid because of the way people treated me. I don't think I could sit idly by and watch my son or daughter crying because someone else wronged them in some malicious way. I mean, I don't think I'd even spoil my kids, or even caudle them too much, but just the fact that I've had so many intensely negative experiences with people; and that these people will be raising bratty violent hell-children that they won't hold accountable for their actions who will abuse my son/daughter throughout what is supposed to be the "fun" time of his/her life. I'm disgusted by most 'modern' parents, equipping their children with all the latest toys and gadgets, cable tv in their rooms, unlimited access to all sorts of crap without any supervision, not teaching them anything useful or worthwhile just placating them with video games to get them out of their hair...

And then to have my child grow up and have to face the sickening reality of adulthood and trying to come to terms with all the disgusting things people do, and how obscenely they treat their fellow man, and how my child will be treated by these people... And the fact that all the shit you put up with as a kid just gets amplified when you get older, except you don't even have parents to protect you from it, you just get to sit by impotently while all the systems and institutions that "help you" run you over and flatten you into some sort of dreary submission. I know that there are good people in the world, and I know that the world is a beautiful place... but beautiful as it is, I'd never wish all the negative things on someone, and especially not on my own kin. If I have a hard time coping with all the injustices and evils I see in the world, how can I ever teach someone else to cope with them? I don't think I could. And the last person I'd want to let down/fail is my child.

But maybe I'm taking things too seriously. Or maybe other people just don't take it seriously enough. I'm not sure.

I don't like kids. I don't like to be around young people, not at all. Not ever. No.

But......

When I play with my little cousins, and they are so happy I am playing with them, yeah, I admit, that is nice, to see them smile and what not.

Now that I'm done being "soft"....... me, do I want to have kids?

I would be... slightly dissapointed if I never did.
It depends a lot on my wife. But doing some different sorts of research, I think I will most likely have a wife who wants children. Despite my detachement, I do like family, and have dreams of having a family. Not so much a dream, not something I think about, but something I see happening.

Yeah, ~unforgettableFOXfire~, I agree with some things. It is hard to raise a good kid, etc. And you are not wrong in raising children, it's damn serious business, and I hate people who think otherwise. When you are a parent, your life changes dramatically. I don't know this personally, but I more than believe those who do know it, and from what I see with my own eyes.

But that doesn't scare me, or deteer me from parenthood.

In..... some ways...... I do look forward to raising a child to be better than I am, etc. BUt raising a family.......

I guess that would be the ultimate sense of duty.

When, if, the time is right, I won't have any reservations about that. I've spent........ plenty of time alone, and I'm not going to forget that. So when the time comes for a family and what not, yes, I will be there. I suppose the first step would be finding the right woman. But that, too, is something I'm always looking out for, heh.

See, I'm a contradiction. I've... never experienced the family life I want my own future family to have. Living with parents separated, and then seeing my father and stepmother divorce in my teenage years, I just hope that doesn't..... affect me. When I studied this topic in my socialogy class, it said people like me we're most suceptible, most likely to let their past influence their future, mostly though insecurity pertaining to the marriage, etc. But...... the thing is, and probably why I'm at least a decent person and not a wasted life, is... all three of my parents have showed a great amount of care to me, and have done things, and sacrificed in their own way.

=======

Um... I seem to be all over the place...
Anyhow, children.... We'll, to me, children means marriage. That is the only way I'd really bring one into this world, essentially. Sex like that means wife, so they are related. Wife means........ a lot.... so, wife + child + marriage........ they all essentially go together. But I'm one of those "commitment" type people. For something like this, I know it's important to have someone who feels the same way you do.

Other motivations.....
Do it right. If I have a family, I want to do it right, and work really hard for it. I can't stand..... eh.... nevermind. But I guess there is some motivation in that it's something I want to do, and do it right. To succeed.
Tradition
I am a traditional person. I am an unconventional person... but tradition is in there somewhere

Lol, arrogance
I want to be able to tell my grandkids my words of wisdom, and can't wait for them to see me as a very wise, old man.
haahahahaha

Mabye... I can slowly make the world a better place, and create a legacy? If I am a parent, and raise my kids really well, and THEY raise their children very well.......

:hmm:

That being said, I've no idea where my life will take me.
Family or not - that mostly depends on the women I come to meet, honestly. If I find the right one where there is "mutual sharing of life" intentions, then we'll see how it goes. If not, well... then that's how it goes.

I don't have a great expectation in life, because as I always say, "that's how life goes". If I should have a great relationship with a great girl, and have a family, I would never be displeased. I'd love that, actually. In the meantme I'll just deal with what's infront of me.

And that would be college.

Lastly... "family"... "wife"...... words like that can hold a sort of motivation. I am fine on my own. I don't need much to be happy, just food and clothing, water, shelter. I can deal on my own. But to raise a family, and marriage..... on a practical level, those things require more than my own peice of mind (hmm, but my peice of mind would definitely be affected by my family... what I meant was... um... when you get a family, wife, etc. It's not about what 'you' need to be happy. But then again, your definitoin of happiness/success should change, so... hmm...). So they could/are a motivation to do well college, get a quality job, etc.

The idea of living for others, a wife or children for instance, is appealing. But I know I should do some things on my own, and live my life solo for a while. That's what everyone says. I like to think I'm different, though. But they say that out of seeing their failed relationships. I would hope I've seen enough, and won't repeat their mistakes.

If I were the worrying type, I'd say: "My biggest fear is turning into my father". It scares me how he has changed over the years.... I don't want that. I know what it does to oneself, and those around him....

Eh, I don't know. I don't like to talk about present "family life". I've been over it so many times now..... let's just say I know what I want, and I know what I don't want.

I guess I will deal with the decisions as they come to me.
Bottom line - I would never turn down a wife, children, or family, if they came about in the right way.

edit- :huh: well, it seems I got a bit carried away......:huh:

Last edited:
~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
I'm disgusted by most 'modern' parents, equipping their children with all the latest toys and gadgets, cable tv in their rooms, unlimited access to all sorts of crap without any supervision, not teaching them anything useful or worthwhile just placating them with video games to get them out of their hair...

I've never had the latest toys... instead, my parents gave me a pair of brushes and a box of cheap watercolors... they don't know how thankful I am for that :)...

Mrs. Edge said:
I like the idea of having kids from about age 6 on....and especially having adult children and seeing how they turn out. Babies and toddlers however....:yikes:

I'm the same way. However, my boyfriend's 6 year-old niece spent a long weekend with us...and...well...she's adorable, and I love her to pieces...but I was exhausted. :lol: I don't think I'll ever want kids of my own. We both love kids...but we both agree that the reason we love kids is because they aren't ours, and we can give them back to their rightful owners when we are done doing the fun stuff. :lol:

Bonochick said:

I'm the same way. However, my boyfriend's 6 year-old niece spent a long weekend with us...and...well...she's adorable, and I love her to pieces...but I was exhausted. :lol: I don't think I'll ever want kids of my own. We both love kids...but we both agree that the reason we love kids is because they aren't ours, and we can give them back to their rightful owners when we are done doing the fun stuff. :lol:

YES!!! That's exactly it!!! I like kids ok, but I want to give them back when I get tired of them. :wink:

Muggsy said:

I've never had the latest toys... instead, my parents gave me a pair of brushes and a box of cheap watercolors... they don't know how thankful I am for that :)...

I agree! I loved making stuff up as I went when I was a kid. And just recently I bought some gifts for a friend's two young daughters -- I got them arts supplies and the like. He said they loved them and also thanked me for getting them creative toys. :yes: So there are still kids growing up who are encouraged to think and create instead of just numb out in front of the tv.

Muggsy said:

So true! my parents weren't made of money...my Dad worked day and night to support us..we ate tortillas and beans, I had a box of crayolas and colorbooks..we were taught respect and given specific household duties...one of mine was to "pull the weeds, mow the lawns with a push mower and take out the trash!"

My 3 boys never experienced those tasks...its either we had a gardener or I wanted it done right so I'd do it myself...

Muggsy, your statement took me back to being a child for a second; thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Dr. read me the riot act today!

Mr. BAW said:

Daniel appeared in adult court (he was only 17) and ordered to return with a 3-page essay that he had to write and read in open court about the evils of smoking.....it was that or 30 hours of cleaning the freeways.....he chose the essay and a slap on the wrist...!

What he was 17?

Now that´s really a joke.... I thought he called when he was probably 10 years old and the police officers had seen him playing with the cigarettes or something like that.

But to be really charged, and this at the age of frickin´ 17 years old .. puuh. And then to have to bow in front of this asshole authorities by writing an essay and reading it.

This is where society says, hey, you little prick? We will show you how to respect our shit system.

I am so sorry for your son. Hope he has been able to take it with a little humor, because I probably would not and write a heated essay...

Mr. BAW said:

So true! my parents weren't made of money...my Dad worked day and night to support us..we ate tortillas and beans, I had a box of crayolas and colorbooks..we were taught respect and given specific household duties...one of mine was to "pull the weeds, mow the lawns with a push mower and take out the trash!"

My 3 boys never experienced those tasks...its either we had a gardener or I wanted it done right so I'd do it myself...

Good help is so hard to reproduce. :wink:

Bonochick said:

We both love kids...but we both agree that the reason we love kids is because they aren't ours, and we can give them back to their rightful owners when we are done doing the fun stuff. :lol:

Sometimes, though, I wish some of the kids I babysat or nannied for WERE mine b/c their parents did a piss poor job as far as teaching them discipline and respect for elders. :mad: I had a bad experience being full time nanny for four devils. I could say I prefer babies b/c they don't whine and don't talk back, but I've also babysat for some really wonderful toddlers/kids. It's all based on the parenting they've received, IMO.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Dr. read me the riot act today!

Mr. BAW said:

But just for possession? That's an awful law. Out here you can smoke whatever age you like, you just can't buy them till you are 18.

anitram said:
I have the opposite problem. I love babies, but kids around the age of 6-15 make me absolutely batshit crazy.

OMG, I am SO with you on that. Make that from 6 to 26.

Jess, don't do it unless it's something you (um, and Paul) truly want, because it's the most important decision ever! :yes:

My parents told me that "worry begins at conception" and lasts the rest of your life (about your kids). :uhoh: And when I see slacker kids in their 20s getting kicked out by their folks on that new show called (appropriately) "Kicked Out" - THAT makes me batshit crazy!!! :mad:

Last edited:
Wow, if it was anyone who I thought would never change her mind on this, it would be you! But, if that's what you want, go for it. I'm still somewhat of the camp that never wants to have them, but then I spent time with my friend's kids, and it makes me almost reconsider. If it weren't for the fact that half the time the sight of children makes me wince, I'd probably be more for it! LOL

Good luck, you guys. :)

When I was growing up I was never pressured into thinking that I had to have a child. I was ambivalent about the whole thing until I met Mr fah and thought seriously about marrying this guy and raising a family together. Now, I can't even begin to imagine my life without my 3 children. There are days when the pressure(s) seem overwhelming and sometimes everything falls apart but for the most part, life is good and I feel blessed.

:)

Back
Top Bottom