my daughter doesnt like girly things.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
since she was born, my daughter has been really tomboyish.

my mom bought her so many barbie dolls and clothes to go with them, but she hardly plays with them. she'd have to be in the right mood. which is VERY rare.

she's very athletic. which is GOOD...i like that. but at the same time, she's stuck with the crowds that the girls dont like sports and boys who sometimes let daisy participate in their games.

ONCE in a great while...which is like...2 times a year:angry:, she'll sneak some lipstick around the house which makes me so freaking happy i cant stand it.

this morning i took her to mcdonalds for our once a week breakfast outing. she asked for a kids meal for the nba toy.

im not trying to change her...i gave up many moons ago. i just go along with it.

please tell me im not alone:|

Don't worry about it. I was alot like her! I played with Barbies, but I wore nothing but sports shirts, had short hair...people mistook me for a boy all the time. :|

I didn't start wearing make-up until I was 16 or 17. It honestly never occured to me.

I sucked at sports though. Although I still think I had potential as an ice hockey player if only I had started sooner. :wink:

She'll be just fine. And the upside is that she probably won't turn into a little snob when she hits her teens. :) :hug:

You're not alone, icelle. A former co-worker's daughter (who's 12, btw) is a diehard tomboy and has been as long as her mom can remember. This child doesn't even want to wear girls underwear!! She only likes wearing boxers - which her mother refuses to buy for her. :shrug: Mom thinks her little 12 year-old is gay and tries to force "girly things" at her - which only backfires, of course. Last I heard though, daughter had found herself a little boyfriend, so Mom was much relieved.

The worst of what I saw from the whole situation was that the daughter was entering puberty - periods had begun and breast were beginning to be quite noticeable. Mom's answer to that was a training bra - daughter refused to wear it & instead started wearing two shirts... year round!! That's bad news, 'cuz at that age (12/13/14, etc) kids are brutal with each other. I'm sure if she hasn't already changed her stance on bras & started wearing one, the teasing she must deal with is ruthless. Not to mention the danger of her not wearing a bra as her breasts get more noticeable may be interpreted by some boys as an open invitation to grope them. :(
I don't see this person anymore, so I don't know what the status on her daughter is, but I hope for the child's sake that she's beginning to let go to some her hardcore tomboy ways. Regardless, I don't think any of it points to the child's developing sexual preference - and if it does, so what? You're going to stop loving your flesh & blood because they don't love who you want them to???? I certainly hope not. :no:

Take heart, icelle...your daughter may never be a frilly girly-girl, but from what little bit you've told us, I don't see anything at all abnormal about her!!! :wink: :hug:

Yep, I was such a tomboy too...always playing football with the boys in school. It was only like when I was 16 I started wearing make up, and dressing more feminine and stuff.....it ain't done me any harm.
Dont worry about her icelle, its perfectly natural:hug:

my mom was so excited to have a little girl that she could dress up and play dolls with... then she got me. i was a total tomboy--hated dresses and dolls, preferred to play with my brother's dinky cars and outdoors in the mud, had lots of guy buds growing up...

:shrug:

if she's happy and well adjusted, don't worry. i'm sure she'll embrace at least a couple feminine traits as she grows up. even i did.

I loved sports, I was very athletic and I hated Barbie and all dolls. Really, really hated. When my younger brother ripped off Barbie's head, it was a happy day for me.

I think my mother was devastated, LOL.

But lucky for her, I really loved art and museums, so we'd share that. And as I got older, I got a lot more interested in "girlie" things.

My second oldest son's best friend all the way through elementary school was a girl named MaryBeth, who was the biggest tomboy you've ever seen. She climbed trees, rode skateboards and rollerblades, spit on the sidewalk and played basketball...she HATED dresses and wouldn't be caught dead in one unless you threatened her LOL! By middle school, she started hanging out with more girls and dressing a little more feminine but she still played sports. We see her every now and then and she still doesn't wear dresses but she's way more girly than she was in grade school.

Its totally normal :hug:

Last edited:
my 6 y/o daughter is all about dinosaurs at the moment. couldn't care less about dolls and frilly clothes. bugs are fascinating things, as is mud, poop jokes, horses, the Red Sox, and music. but it still comes back to dinosaurs.... doesn't matter to me what she likes; she's a happy kid and that makes me a happy camper too :D

I used to the rip the heads of any Barbie dolls I had. :laugh:
And I was all ABOUT dinosaurs!

I just never understood playing pretend with dolls when I could run around outside and whatnot. She'll be fine...I like being girly but not prissy. There's a difference. :wink:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I once cut a mohawk into a life size doll my sister had. :lol: I also spray painted the mohawk hair green!

I did that with one of my sister's Barbies only painted it pink....and 20 years later she still reminds me how I ruined one of her favorite Barbies!

I was a major tomboy growing up. I have an older brother and I always played with his toys. My mom tried to fight me on it and tried to control me a little too much, and that control still affects me to this day. I have a lot of issues and part of it is because my mom never accepted me for me. Let her do her own thing. I wish my mom had let me just be me growing up.

daisy is one of the most adorable, spunkiest little chicks i've ever met.

remember her and chelsea jamming in the living room on new years eve?

i wanted friends
just like you
a thousand friends
like no one's had before...

who gives a fig for dolls and dresses anyway? :hug:

I still]/i] despise dresses, high heels, makeup (I did go through a goth phase though...), bras (well! I do. They are awful things! :ohmy: ), and most girly stuff.

I think I'm just practical and most of that stuff isn't. OK, so maybe the bras are practical, but they aren't comfortable, and I like comfort.

In the long run, I don't see that it really makes much difference.

I've always been pretty girly. As a kid, I adored Barbies (I still do! :lol: ), and I loved getting dressed up...pink clothes, have my hair curled, pretty jewelry, Mom's makeup...:cute: I still love makeup and nice clothes and all things sparkly. :D My sister though...total tomboy. I admire her for that though. I wish I had a bit more of that in me. I'm getting better though...my boyfriend loves me in sweatshirts and no makeup (very low maintenance!), so I just kind of chill out sometimes...and it's actually pretty nice. :)

My 11 year old daughter is just growing out of her tomboy stage now. For the last two years she has kept her hair short and would only wear boyish clothes. I cannot remember the last time she wore a dress! Everytime we went to McDonalds and ordered happy meals, and they asked girl or boy (for the toy) I had to respond boy.

I never thought she would change, and I really never bugged her about it. She started 6th grade last September and on her own, she decided that she was going to grow her hair out and start wearing "girl clothes".

She still rejects a lot of girly things, but is definately getting into what brands and styles are in fashion right now.

I'm not sure what made her change, but I guess its something they will do on their own when they are ready.

don't you worry she'll be fine...

"No, I was kind of anti-fashion as a kid.
Apart from not being able to afford what was fashionable,
I didn't like the idea of being told what to wear.
And I was a tomboy anyway," she laughs.

- Ali

I just started to like girly things and really 'get' what it was all about...and I just turned 29 . :| So yeah...it happens...it just took a long, long, long, time for me. I just bought some makeup yesterday. I haven't worn makeup on a regular basis since high school. *runs off blushing*

Last edited:
dude i was the biggest tomboy alive, still am. my parents call me the son they never had :lol: i've become slightly more girly, but actually my parents prefer me the way i am 'cause i don't wear skanky clothes :shrug:

icelle

Not a thing to worry about.

Our almost 5-year old (going on 15) has no interest in dolls, plays with cars & trains, and love nothing more than to pounce on her 10-year old brother (good thing he's strong cause she packs quite a whollup).

Yet, she is all girl. Don't let all the stereotypes get you worried.

U2democrat said:
i've become slightly more girly, but actually my parents prefer me the way i am 'cause i don't wear skanky clothes :shrug:

What?

No sweatpants with "JUICY" written across the butt?

Is there a more obvious way to get attention?

You are not alone :hug:

While mine tend not be big on playing with dolls they show their girlie side when watching tv. They like to watch the 'girlie' tv shows: Lizzie Mcguire, Raven and Kim Possible.

No worries! I used to be a major tomboy, I had a major hate towards barbie when I was a kid. When I went ot McDonalds I would get the kids meal just for the hot wheels toys.

I've become pretty girly but I still dont like pink! :tongue:

doh...forgot to log in as icelle...

i feel alot better after reading all the posts, you guys are awesome...thanks!:heart::hug:'s to all

bonosgirl84 said:

remember her and chelsea jamming in the living room on new years eve?

i wanted friends
just like you
a thousand friends
like no one's had before...

we really need to get those pics developed...that was kickass.

Back
Top Bottom