My dad and I are on the outs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I don't want this post to seem overly emotional or angry, so I'll tone it down a bit and keep it from being just a string of obscenities. :mad:

I love my dad. This is a fact. It is also a fact that my dad is a totally arrogant jerk when it comes to music. My whole family is centered around music. My dad used to be a musician doing gigs off and on for about 15 years back in the 70's and early 80's. As a result, he is very good at what he does, and encourages me in my own work. We both write our own songs and are both working on albums at the same time.

He is one of those people that thinks his opinion on music is second only to God's, and that he knows all there is to know about music. He just may. But he doesn't have to be such an arrogant ass about it. Also, there is a major generation gap between us; he's one of those people that think there hasn't been any good albums/consistently good artists since the 80's. Which kind of works against his whole "I know all there is to know about not just music, but everything else" tag. He thinks 99.999999999% of all rap is about nothing but bitchez, hoes, AK-47's, and killing cops. Yeah. I'm not kidding.

Last night, we had a discussion about music as we usually do. I say that I would like some help with my work, and he said he would help. That's nice of him. I would have appreciated it.

Tonight, I was feeling awful. Tired, sick, not in any mood to do much of anything. He tells me he wants to show me something. I go to his work space, and he has everything all set up...a keyboard, sequencer, all this gear, and basically he wants to show me how to produce a second Sgt. Pepper or something.

Now, common logic would dictate that before you do something nice for someone, you ask them whether they actually want what you're giving them to protect your own feelings. He didn't.

I say in my nicest tone, "I don't want to do this right now..."

And he goes off.

My dad is good at lecturing. He can really talk up a storm (he'd be great on this forum), but that's not always a good thing. He basically goes on to call me an ungrateful, arrogant brat who wants nothing to do with him. And I'm not exaggerating. Half of me felt like busting out laughing at how much of a lie these things were, the other half was confused, and if there was a percentage left, it probably was pretty nauseated. :sad:

And it went on. And on. And on. I'm actually a bit surprised that he didn't go into shock or something. :huh:

Cooler heads would have prevailed, but I'm pretty sure that for the rest of the weekend, he's not going to say a word to me. :( Even a tablespoon of rational thinking probably would have ended it all quick snap, but there wasn't even a grain of it to be seen.

Why am I posting this? Because I really need to get off my chest just how much of an insensitive (but well-intentioned) ass my own father was being. That, and it's a good lesson to learn for your own time on this forum; think before you say a word. Anything. Ever. THINK, DAMMIT. :mad:

Rant off.

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:
Get some sleep and let it go.

And then write the rock opera about your dad, and when you accept the grammy(?) don't thank him. Then you'll be all even.

:up: Amen. That's a great idea.

Let it go, you continue to be you and he has to respect how you feel at certain times.

As a parent myself of 2 boys one heading for his teens real soon, I can say sometimes we are asses.

There are times when I want to spend with my kids, because it seems as though they are growing so fast. Then they turn around and say they want to do something else w/o me.
It hurts but I also understand and try to give them the space they need.

So maybe if you look at it from this prospective you will understand your Dads feelings a little better.

He rants and raves, I go eat chocolate. :huh:

indra said:

Now that's just cruel. :yikes:

:lol: My own tastes in rap are limited but I do enjoy some Beastie Boys or Mike Skinner every now and again. :shifty:

Things have settled down a bit. It's quiet, but I figure that's because it's pretty dull around here today. :sigh:

see my dad never pushed me into music....it came to me. we both play bass guitar and my dad doesn't push me to be freaking Joan jett, even though i do that to my self from time to time:wink: . And i like being my dads daughter cause every musician in this place where i live knows him and i get more gig's..lol my last gig was in December.....very long yes...but i see where you're coming from:) you'll be fine...

Re: Re: My dad and I are on the outs

martha said:

He owes you an apology. At the very least.

:mad: I know. Unfortunately, many parents aren't one to apologize to their kids, especially when they're upset with them. :(

Look... as the father of 4, I must tell you that there are times that we, as parents, really get into hanging with our children, we love the fact that we both share common interests, music is obviously your common thread....your Dad must have believed that he was doing something GOOD, something that he wanted as a special bond between the two of you...and when you refused to participate he felt rejected...hence, the verbal assault...

Its happened to me, more than once...its a natural phenomenom, it happens...should he apologize, doubtful but at least know that he was into what he thought YOU wanted...shake it off, talk to him like it never happened...and don't worry about it...do you want to know how many times I was mad at DeadMansParty (he's my son)???

Too many to count, yet, we're still the best of friends, DAD/SON and whatever...you're still family; be thankful that you have a father that cares about you, who's willing to share his music knowledge with you...its all good.

I don't believe that there's anyone else here on the forums older than me who can speak with this experience.

An MOST importantly, a parent DOES NOT owe a child an apology but know deep down inside that he's hurting from what he may have said to you.....its all good, it will all work out..:wink:

I know that's what I needed to hear. :) Great post. Thanks BAW. Maybe I'll bring the issue back up to him someday when necessary, till then, I'll just let him cool off.

Read these lyrics from Reba McIntyre's "Greatest Man I Never Knew..."

"The greatest man I never knew lived just down the hall
And everyday we said hello
But never touched at all
He was in his paper
I was in my room
How was I to know he thought I hung the moon

The greatest man I never knew came home late every night
He never had too much to say
Too much was on his mind
I never really knew him
And now it seems so sad
Everything he gave to us took all he had

Then the days turned into years
And the memories to black and white
He grew cold like an old winter wind blowing across my life

The greatest words I never heard I guess I'll never hear
The man I thought would never die has 'been dead almost a year
He was good at business
But there was business left to do
He never said he loved me
Guess he thought I knew..."

Its all good; you ARE something special to you Father...its all good...

Mr. BAW :wink:

I'm 36 and am pleased and fortunate to call both of my parents my friend. We've had some bumps along the way, but nothing too major, luckily. They're great spouses to each other and great parents to my sister and I, and I feel blessed. I live 3,000 miles away from them and after 9/5 years of it, I'm still not totally used to being so far from them. :( Anyway, BAW, in my opinion, gave you some great pearls of wisdom, consider yourself lucky to have an outlet where you can get that sort of feedback from someone.

Good luck.

I have to agree with martha on this one. I've apologized to Maddy before if I felt I was out of line, even if I am her mother. No one's perfect :shrug:

Just a note for those posting here:

You are talking to an impressionable teenager who could very well end up taking your advice to heart someday, so think carefully. :wink: Seriously, I plan on having a large family someday, and as of now, this parenting thing puzzles me.:|

Parenting is a never ending learning curve.

And I too, am on the parent apology wagon. An ability to know you have made a mistake is humble. I want my children to be humble. I want to be humble. I want to admit and apologise for, then rectify mistakes I make. I am not above that. I am authority to my kids, but that doesn't mean I am above them in these kinds of ways.

...Not saying Mr Baw thinks he is, as it is impossible to say from his one line, but anyone who reckons they are is more than a tad out of line... I reckon.

Well, I'm not saying anybody is right or wrong, but I wanted to offer up my own experience, as a child who has never been apologized to by her parents.

I don't have any parenting experience, but I am a daughter. I do have to say that I agree that parents owe children an apology. My mother has said things to me I would never say to another human being. Not once my entire life has she ever apologized. That really effs with one's head. She'll always be my mother, and I'll always be her daughter, and I will always love her, but I'll be honest in saying that this is probably why I became so independent. She does not provide me the source of comfort or support or whatever. She sees her role as mother to be equivalent to a dictatorship. Everything she does is right, anyone who disagrees is wrong (even though she is wrong) and will have to pay some severe consequences. (And she wonders why I don't want to have children!)

Humility and respect are two very important elements of any relationship (as Angela Harlem said), including a parent/child. And it should not be one-sided either. I've had to show all the humility and respect while my mother sat at her throne of delusion.

I really think that my mother believes that as a parent she knows best and can do and say whatever she wants, and that what I have to say is invalid and ignorant, simply because I'm the daughter. With that kind of thinking, my mother forgot that I'm not just a child, I am a PERSON. I have thoughts and feelings that deserve as much respect as hers. Not once did I ever treat her with disrespect (heh, I was too afraid to!), but I can't say she's done the same for me.

I know she loves me...in her own special way. But, it took me a long time to see it this way. And once I came to this awareness, things have gotten better between us. It still hurts when she lashes out, but I'm not going around thinking something is wrong with me, or her, or hoping for her to change. She is who she is. I'm learning to deal with it, which is fine, because I'm sure there's loads of things about me that piss her off, and she is trying to come to terms with. Good thing she has my brother! They are very much alike and get along great.

Anyway, here's a beautiful poem from Kahlil Gibran, one of my favorite mystics:

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are set forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He love the arrow that flies, so He loves also he bow that is stable.

Last edited:
my mom sometimes aplogies to me but never my dad , he thinks he is always right..

Well, everything is OK now. My dad offered an apology, and I said I was sorry for any miscommunication, which is essentially what we will blame the whole thing on. So yeah, peace again reigns. :)

Thanks for all of your posts everyone, and reaching out. :yes:

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
Well, everything is OK now. My dad offered an apology, and I said I was sorry for any miscommunication, which is essentially what we will blame the whole thing on. So yeah, peace again reigns. :)

:hug: yay that kicks ass!! i'm very happy for you two.

LemonMelon said:

He's just trying to sabotage your rock opera. Fight the power, man.

LemonMelon said:

It was the threat of you playing rap ad nauseam wasn't it? That's enough to break any sane person. ;)

LemonMelon said:

Good stuff.
:up:

Did you bring out the Barry guns?
:wink:

I'm glad peace reigns, but it does appear that you think your father is an ass. You might want to explore further how, when or why your father is an ass. Can you tolerate his being an ass? Or, are you maybe being a little too hard on him and he's not really an ass.

LemonMelon said:

:)

Back
Top Bottom