My car got stolen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That absolutely bites :mad:. If people worked half as hard to earn their own stuff as they do stealing other people's, they'd be millionnaires.

Are you insured, Miri?

That sucks!!! Did you leave the keys in there or something?
Are you insured?

OMG Miri, I am so sorry to hear this news. I hope it is recoverred and OK. If not, I hope all works out with insurance and that you get another car quickly. Don't beat yourself up about it tho, someone chose to take advantage of you by taking your car, it's not like you gave it away! :hug:

Thanks everyone.
And my apologies for not posting more (details) sooner.
This is what happened.

I went to a bar/pub/cafe with a friend.
I didn't have any pockets in my pants and I don't carry a bag or purse (because I know I'll forget about it and leaving it somewhere), so I put my keys in the pocket of my jacket.

Once again it's a bar/pub/cafe.
It's Friday evening.
There's a band playing.
Crowded, busy, hot.
You walk around the place, you stand somewhere, sit elsewhere, go to the bathroom, take you jacket off, put it back on, dance a little or a lot.
And at the end of the evening you discover your keys are gone.
Either they fell out of your pocket or someone took them out.

Which ever it was, the person with the keys took off with my car.
Which must have been pretty easy, because I had a remote thingie.
So they only had to step outside, click it and see which car would beep.

Any way, I didn't have full coverage.
So I'm not insured for theft.
Because I always buy pretty cheap second hand cars.
Still I think I've only had this one for a little over a year.

Besides the car keys (and the car and the things in the car), all my other keyes (home, mail box, work po box, work etc) are gone as well.
So locks had to be replaced.

I seriously doubt I'm ever gonna see the car again.
But one can always hope...

:hug: I don't see how that's your fault, Miri. It's not like you left your keys laying in the front seat of the car with the door unlocked. Again, people who can't leave other folks' stuff alone just piss me off. I mean, how hard is it turn go to the bar & tell the bartender, 'Hey - I found this pair of keys. Will you hold them here for the owner?' It takes no freakin' effort AT ALL. :banghead: :madwife:

Again, I'm sorry this happened - I know I'd be frantic until I replaced all my house locks, etc. We'll keep our fingers crossed that your ride shows up, no worse for the wear. :up:

Miringeltje said:
Which ever it was, the person with the keys took off with my car.
Which must have been pretty easy, because I had a remote thingie.
So they only had to step outside, click it and see which car would beep.

Just saw this - sorry to hear the news- what a bad break. I hope the car is recovered soon. It seems as if there were some shady characters at the bar that night.

BluRmGrl said:
:hug: I don't see how that's your fault, Miri. It's not like you left your keys laying in the front seat of the car with the door unlocked. Again, people who can't leave other folks' stuff alone just piss me off. I mean, how hard is it turn go to the bar & tell the bartender, 'Hey - I found this pair of keys. Will you hold them here for the owner?' It takes no freakin' effort AT ALL. :banghead: :madwife:

Again, I'm sorry this happened - I know I'd be frantic until I replaced all my house locks, etc. We'll keep our fingers crossed that your ride shows up, no worse for the wear. :up:

It's absolutely not your fault. People who take anything they are not entitled to or do not own are stealing. End of story. You could leave your keys in the ignition and it won't change the fact that it is theft. People who do this bug the crap out of me, thieves, I mean. You sound very resigned. I'd be bloody mad, which is not healthy.

I hope the car turns up.
:hug:

ntalwar said:
It seems as if there were some shady characters at the bar that night.

Yeah, apparently so, N.
Which kinda makes me feel uncomfortable now.
Because the friend I was with, wasn't feeling too great and left earlier, so for the last part of the evening I was there by myself.

Angela Harlem said:
You sound very resigned. I'd be bloody mad, which is not healthy.

My friend (who left earlier) said the same thing when I told her the next morning that my car got stolen.

Funny thing is, before it happened, I probably would have said the same thing too, that I'd be totally pissed off if my car got stolen.
But your reaction in reality sometimes turns out to be completely different from what you expect.

For example, I always thought I would be in a state of panic when I would miss a flight, while traveling. Then it actually happened this summer, when I was flying all be myself and I remained remarkebly calm.

Same thing with my car getting stolen, I thought I would be mad as hell. But then I realized it wouldn't change a thing.
It was just surreal walking out of the bar/cafe/pub, when I discovered my keys were missing, to check if my car was actually still standing there, to find that it was gone.
I totally wasn't expecting that.
And I still can't help but think: what are the odds? (ya' know)
Maybe I'm just really naiv (sp?).
I know that if I found someone's keys, I'd turn them in.
And therefore I'm (or should I say: was) thinking that everybody else would do the same thing (as me).
But that's just not very realistic (or is it?).

It's been a week.
Still no word on the car.

Miringeltje said:

Which kinda makes me feel uncomfortable now.

I can understand that, but I think they're just after the car, M. :hug:

And I still can't help but think: what are the odds? (ya' know)
Maybe I'm just really naiv (sp?).
I know that if I found someone's keys, I'd turn them in.
And therefore I'm (or should I say: was) thinking that everybody else would do the same thing (as me).
But that's just not very realistic (or is it?).

I've always wondered the same thing about odds if I lose my key (my key gives away the car model).
That's the first time I've heard of it occurring actually.
I think most people would turn the key in, so it could have been a professional thief who did it.
If so, it's likely the car is being used for spare parts or that the entire car will end up abroad (according to TV reports I've seen).

Miringeltje said:

For example, I always thought I would be in a state of panic when I would miss a flight, while traveling. Then it actually happened this summer, when I was flying all be myself and I remained remarkebly calm.

Man, I can relate. A couple years ago I was on a trip with my college choir. I placed my ticket in the little pocket on the first flight, got off for my next flight, and left my ticket on the plane. By the time I realized what I had done, that plane had flown off and my plane was about ready to board.

Sitting here, I get tense thinking about it, but then I was so calm, that none of my friends believed me.

So yah, your point about how you react is a good one.

I hate scumbags who do stuff like this. I'm still sorry for all this. I hope something breaks positive for you. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom