my birthday resolution!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweet Tart

Refugee
in 5 days i turn 28...or as i like to call it the 3rd anniversary of my 25th birthday...i am going to give up all consumption of alcoholic beverages. yes that's right...for the past three years i have been enjoying the occasional (ok who am i kidding...many) vodka infused drink and i'm quite positive i have had enough. i'm tired of the hangovers, the wondering what i did the previous night, the embarassing moments that i do remember :eek: , and all other miscellaneous trouble i get myself into whilst drunk. it's just not worth it anymore...and i'm not entirely sure it was to begin with.

i know it's going to be fairly easy for me cause i have done this before. from about 21 to 25 i stopped drinking all together and to be honest i wish i hadn't started up again. it was mainly because my friends felt the need to take me out and get me frequently intoxicated after the break up of a long term relationship. it was fun at the time but i'm well over the relationship and personally i would like to be well over the drinking as well.

now if i can only convince my friends ( who are big drinkers btw) to stop laughing at me for it. :eyebrow: :lol:

If your friends are laughing at you, they don't really sound like that great of friends. They should be supportive. Hopefully, they will come around.

Good luck with your decision! :up:

thanks BC!

nah...they're supportive of my decision. they just don't believe i will really go through with it as i have virtually no willpower with respect to certain things. :reject:

Good luck you can do it! :yes: Like you said you gave up alcohol for about awhile before. Maybe once your friends see how serious you are about this than they will stop laughing at you. Personally I really admire your resolution! Im a social drinker so Im good with that I don't drink all of the time. But anyone who would take this step to make a better life for themselves than go for it!

thanks guys...after reading it back i may have made it sound a lot worse than it is.

it's not like i'm an alcoholic or anything. although that's probably what an alcoholic would say wouldn't they?!?!? :hmm: anyways...like i said i'm not that or anywhere near that level. i don't like to drink that much. i'm not doing a bree on desparate housewives and stashing wine bottles all over the house. :p and not to belittle anyone who has that addiction...i know people who have gone down that road and it's defiantely a hard road to travel.

it's just that the handful of times i go out in the run of the month i really like to go out and party. i think that's down to my east coast roots....we're all a bunch of partiers back home :D. but i just can't be arsed to drink when i go out to a pub/club anymore. it's just lost all it's appeal and i'm not really sure what it's appeal was in the first place. maybe it was just so i didn't realize how annoying it can be at times in a club surrounded by people who are mostly all drunk themselves. :huh:

but regardless...thanks for the words of encourgement. and like i said it'll be a piece of cake. i don't have an addictive personality at all. i gave up smoking 9 years ago cold turkey and never looked back so i can't see this being any different.

:up: Sweet Tart.

Drinking to get drunk is a complete waste of time and money. Just think of how much money you'd be saving and what it can go towards. To be honest I use to love to drink and get stupid. After what happened on my birthday about 4 years ago, I don't have the urge to get drunk just because. That birthday incident scared the hell out of everyone around me and I lost a few friends because of it. :slant:

Now, I will only have one or two drinks and that's that.

I think some of us are interested in hearing a bit more about that birthday incident :hmm:

Anyway, the worst part of getting drunk is definitely all the embarrassing things one does and regrets dreadfully years afterwards. The hangover is a small thing in comparison. Been there, done that. Believe me. :banghead:

U2Girl1978 said:
:up: Sweet Tart.

Drinking to get drunk is a complete waste of time and money. Just think of how much money you'd be saving and what it can go towards. To be honest I use to love to drink and get stupid. After what happened on my birthday about 4 years ago, I don't have the urge to get drunk just because. That birthday incident scared the hell out of everyone around me and I lost a few friends because of it. :slant:

Now, I will only have one or two drinks and that's that.

thanks!

and i can only imagine what i can do with all the money i'll save. it will be wonderful. now if i can also curb my need to eat out as much as i do...i'll be rich. :D :lol:

that's a shame that you had lost friends over that incident. but at least you learned from that experience and won't do it again. i know people that have lost or almost lost friends over drinking incidents and it hasn't stopped them one bit. good for you. :up:

Don't worry we don't think you are an alcoholic. Have always wondered why people go out and get trashed the way they do. This is no offense to you or anyone else! Giving up drinking should be no problem for you. Wish I had your willpower to just quit something like that,lol.

U2Man said:
I think some of us are interested in hearing a bit more about that birthday incident :hmm:

Anyway, the worst part of getting drunk is definitely all the embarrassing things one does and regrets dreadfully years afterwards. The hangover is a small thing in comparison. Been there, done that. Believe me. :banghead:

Well, I drank lots of vodka and a couple of mudslides and pretty much passed out and woke up in the hospital around 6 in the morning the next day! :happy: :|

Hangovers suck. I don't get why people think it's so totally cool and fun to go out drinking, making huge efforts to party and consume mass quantities of alcoholic beverages to act stupid, or to get into fights, puke all over yourself, stumble around making an ass out of yourself, make some pretty poor choices sleeping with people you later regret or even getting behind the wheel of a car......what's the point? I think it's one thing to drink a few drinks in a social setting and pace yourself, not slam them back. and another thing to drink responsibly. But I just don't get the mindset that groups of mostly young adults think they must go out in packs and get blitzed or help friends get blitzed to mourn relationships or celebrate birthdays and whatnot. Guess the drinking games wan with maturity and age.

that's a great choice, sweet tart.

I quit drinking last year, I was tired of the hangovers, the mental blockouts and the shame that it all brings. I did many stupid things while I was drunk and then I realized that it doesn't have any sense to go to a party and don't remember it the next day.

Back
Top Bottom