Misconceptions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brettig

New Yorker
These aren't much, but these are some of the things that some friends of mine and I used to think/know about U2 a few years back. These days I think back and laugh about when......

The Edge was a mute.

They were satanists (This was not me and I've no idea why this guy thought that. I mean he'd never even heard of Macphisto!!!!).

Bono became a Christian in 1988 through BB King.

Sunday Bloody Sunday was about kicking the British out of Ireland.

The Joshua Tree was a song, not an album.

ZOO TV was an album.

Pop was a techno/dance album. (Almost Everyone I know STILL thinks that!).

Boy have I learned a LOT in the last three years.

------------------
auzzy Fan

Originally posted by brettig:
The Edge was a mute.

Could be worse... if you started really listening to rock music around '93 (like I did), and "Numb" was the first video that you saw and REALLY recognized as U2, you just might have thought Mr. The Edge was the lead vocalist.

Not that I did that or anything.

smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

sure about that Bubba?
wink.gif

oh yeah, I love that one about POP . . . "I used to like U2, but then they started doing all this techno stuff, I wish they'd make another album like the Joshua Tree" . . . anyone ever heard that before?

ok, at first, when I heard In God's Country, I thought it was a song celebrating the USA, whoops, then I heard the lyrics
redface.gif

Well, Rattle & Hum's their *longest* album... does that count for anything?
smile.gif

I used to think they did that Talking Heads song, "once in a lifetime"... can't remember if I already mentioned that.
I know I mentioned that I used to think they were American.
smile.gif

I used to think U2 and the Simple Minds were the same band!!!!

How bad was that...??????

Remembered one- I once spent hours trying to find out about Mr. Mambuganou!

You know, when Bono says "Am I buggin' you? Didn't mean to bug ya!" on R&H I thought that the first part was him addressing a South African Politician. Tell me I'm not the only one in the world who thought that!

------------------
He's so good at bowling that dead straight ball that moves a bit!

OMG...

When I was seven, the only exposure at all I had to U2 was the JT vinyl. On the back of the album was a picture of the band, and underneath it was the names: "Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton, Larry Mullen Jnr." However, the actual picture order was Larry, Bono, Adam, and Edge. So, for the longest time, I thought that "Bono" was Larry. Get what I'm saying? (My head is going in circles over my reasoning
wink.gif
).

It seems so very laughable nowadays...

Melon

------------------
"If I had to choose between the continued possibility of nothing happening and of doing something, I would unquestionably choose the latter...or the former." -- Radiohead

the way i go into u2 was my brother had a tape of: one, wowoy, wtshnn, ishfwilf, mysteroius ways, sunday bloody sunday.
i listened to it for about 2-3 months...i didnt know who sang it...who they were...nothing i just loved it...6 of their aruguably greatest songs...then i finally heard wowoy on the radio and they said it was by U2...U who...????

When I first saw "Rattle and Hum" in 1988, I knew little about U2 and even less about the Rolling Stones. So when Bono sang "Bad", I thought the name of the song was "Ruby Tuesday."

Pretty sad.:0

I do have to confess that my love for Larry came later on lol...back in the day when I was 7 years old I thought Bono was the cutest. 8) So therefore I thought U2 was just Bono's name and I thought Larry, Edge and Adam were just his back up band...lmao
biggrin.gif

------------------
Signing out.

The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

hahahahahah, there was a time when i thought Achtung Baby was their first album.
I thought Adam was Edge and Edge was Adam, i thought Bono was cross-eyed (cuz he always had sunglasses on).

God in the beginning i didn't even know their NAMES! (and i thought they were American) lol.

Later on I began to think Bono was gay. *Then* i thought Larry was gay (yeah yeah i was convinced at least ONE of them had to be gay, hehehe)

God, have I learnt alot or what?
wink.gif

And there is still so much more to know...
But does it matter?
Everything we know is wrong...

biggrin.gif

lol....I remember when my big sis bought Achtung Baby - I didn't know much about U2 at all then. The first question I asked when I saw the title was "Are they a German band?"
biggrin.gif

And of course I did the ever popular mis-pronunciation of Bono's name for a while.

yeah, I'm still breaking my habit of the misspronunciation since I got reprimanded for that in one of the other forums
redface.gif

Mr. Mambuganou...LMAO!!!
biggrin.gif

I'll come up with other embarassing moment's later...

------------------
You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you get to like the way it feels...

ok I don't feel so ignorant now.. I used to think that Rattle and Hum was u2's first album and their BIG BREAK. And for the longest time, I assumed Adam was The Edge, cos he looked like one on the Joshua Tree album. Finally, I thought that their political songs were ALL about Israel.

Btw, Bono has an Israeli passport, does he? I saw him waving it proudly at some press conference.

Are you sure that was Israel? I thought he had a Bosnian one or something due to their performance in '97 which opened up the rail line between Mostar and Sarajevo for the first time since the war.
The mayor of Sarajevo and Bono have met up a few times...last time being at a film festival a couple of months back (I think that's when he was showing it off, non?).

p.s.: Unfortunately I've no U2 screw-ups!! ha ha...The first time I heard them I became addicted and proceeded to purchase all the books, cd's, mags etc to clear up any confusion...I love the one about the South African politician!! ha ha
oh wait..there is one..on R&H when he says "Ok Edge play the Blues" I used to think he sang "Ok Edge lay 'em loose"

HA!!!!

Recently when I taught my son the difference between good music (U2) and bad music (B.Spears) he asked me after seeing Zoo concert..And seeing the dark glasses..

"Mom is that guy singing blind?"...

------------------
Support Amnesty's Campaign against Rape and Violence in Sierra Leone. Sign up.

Oh lord... I thought it was actually Bono, The Edge, and that Adam and Larry had no names, and were known only as "the other guys". That's what someone told me anyway.

I guess I'd better not ask how this appeared here all of a sudden

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

to make this thread uncool i thought i'd post my lil misconception (or great sin)

thought AB came after Zooropa. Listened to AB 1st and then when i heard Zooropa i thought this must be earlier cos AB was oh soooo tooo perfect

I heard my very first U2 song...All I Want..and I thought it was their first single. I said to everyone, "this band is gonna go far". Luckily I was about 10-12 at the time and could get away with being so stoopid.

confused.gif

hehe didnt notice this appeared..

Ang, it could be worse, I heard some girl call in to a radio station to rate BD just after it came out and her comment was, "it's not bad for a new band, they have potential"
eek.gif

Good Lord! How old are you kids!?
... or maybe I should say, "how OLD am I!??"

... when I was a kid... I remember hearing "Let It Be" (it was my mom's favorite song. I still have the original 45 release!), and wondering how those long haired hippies could be the same clean-cut boys that sang, "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah!".

...In high school I remember hearing about a group called U2, and a guy wearing a tishirt with the boy album cover on it, and him saying they were great!

...I thought they were a hard punk band.

smile.gif

ahhh, my, how young we were back then.

Had to dredge this up. Too funny. :wink: Sorry brettig. I'm damn bored at the mo, and of two pages of old threads, this one made me laugh most.

Back
Top Bottom