MERGED---> v. dissapointed + I'm pretty sure..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nellie I agree with everything you said.. and most of what deep said too. But I'm not going to try to convince people anymore. It's their business and if they want to leave or feel its a good time to leave, that's fine.

Originally posted by deep
If U2 had a new album out and was touring next year how important would this site be to you. To share your stories, pictures, experiences, make connections for tickets and meet follow U2 fans. The time will come. Are you sure you don?t want to be here.

That's a very good point. Which is another reason why I'm not going to bug people about staying anymore. I have a feeling that a lot of the people that say they are leaving will most likely end up subscribing after a length of time.. they'll realize how much they miss it.
See quote above.

I really hate to see people fighting about this but I will respect people's decisions.

diamond, was it really necessary to call me pop whore?

Sicy said:
Nellie I agree with everything you said.. and most of what deep said too. But I'm not going to try to convince people anymore. It's their business and if they want to leave or feel its a good time to leave, that's fine.

That's a very good point. Which is another reason why I'm not going to bug people about staying anymore. I have a feeling that a lot of the people that say they are leaving will most likely end up subscribing after a length of time.. they'll realize how much they miss it.
See quote above.

I really hate to see people fighting about this but I will respect people's decisions.

:up: :yes:

I love this place and have no intentions of leaving.

I just don't have the means to send money right now, that's all. I'm planning on talking to my parents about this situation soon, and I'll see what they have to say about this as well-perhaps something will happen within the next couple of weeks for me here.

Angela

Zoomanda is right

:shrug:

I guess both sides will never see eye to eye on this, and I suppose heated debates always comes up when it comes to money.

However I will say that, technically, being on this site does cost (internet access isn't free after all), not including the indirect money spent due to this site (for example people sending burned CDs).

I do realise it's been a lot of money and Elvis has been generous, but I've pondered a different question: how come this site wasn't free/premium status from the beginning? You know...why now, after 5 years of running? Maybe all this stuff wouldn't have happen if we had that sort of order from the start.

Lastly, it surprises me how people can basically say "you're an ass for not paying" and "but I will miss everyone that leaves" at the same time.

Really it's just about making choices, and I don't see why there have to be guilty trips, accusations etc... made.

Stop in the name of love

If I was to quote what I'm about to address, this message would take up volumes of space. Thus, I won't point fingers, name names, but just clear some stuff up.

*ahem* Is this thing on?

This is not a utopia. It's 1984, baby. And sure, every community has problems. But I think everyone should look waaaaaay deep down and first and foremost, try and figure out why they're so upset. Are you upset that your friends are leaving? Is that why you're getting angry with them? Yelling and complaining, bitching and moaning, pointing fingers and swearing won't change anyone's mind. If you're really friends, shake their hands, wish them well that they're moving on. I don't see how this can be a bad thing. If people want to say what they REALLY think , then, by all means darlings, go for it. It's an opinion, and we could all benefit from hearing another point of view now and then.
In fact, all the belittling and anger only makes it look as though you WANT them to leave...drive them out
...like horses over the hill.

Are you angry because you feel Interference is changing? Interference changes everyday. People come, leave. If you gave YOUR support you have ensured that it will be around for a time. People come and go everyday here, and in RL. We don't bemoan it the, why now? No one asked me to come. No one asked me to leave, no one has asked me to stay. In the end, it is my decision.
...on borderland we run, still we run, we run and don't look back

Why do you feel that just because people are leaving that they're not your friends anymore/not the people you thought they were? Friends don't have to see eye to eye. They don't have to support the same causes. We have all used a servcie. Whether or not you feel you need to donate money to this service is YOUR choice. In the same way, you cannot change whether or not people donate money to, say, the library system (forgive the stupid analogy, but three hours of Biochemistry homework has about melted my thought process). It's there, we use it. We can give money to it, or we can choose to forgoe it. In the same way, every year I run in the Terry Fox Run for cancer research. It's a chance for me to jog a marathon. I can give money to it, or not. It's my choice. How worthy or valid YOU think this choice is, or how valid you think Intereference is, is a matter of personal opinion.
...yo, my love don't cost a thing. If I do or don't come back, i'll still love U2. That will never change.

..in the end everything DOES cost money. Everything comes from our own pockets.
Accessing internet from school...not a free service. Covered in tuition fees (those incidental fees kill you everytime).
$12, $18, $30...one potato, two potato, three potato, four...where you dwell it might cost more
...peeling off those dollar bills and slapping them down..one thousand, two thousand.

Yes, it might have been a better idea to implement this plan from the beginning. Then maybe we wouldn't have all this drama.

If you don't think things haven't changed here in the past few weeks, go back and read a few posts. The nasty comments are utterly astounding. How people can say these things to someone you've never met really irks me. How people can say these things and turn around lkess than five minutes later and seeimngly say they'll miss everyone here, we love you and this place, we all owe it to ourselves, we respect you, etc, etc, lovelovekisskissetcetcetc..is amazing really. Obviously these people didn't like/love/respect others or those things never would have been said to begin with...hmmm?
...sweetheart, you're so cruel

I feel like a broken record.
...how long must we sing this song?

...one love, we get to share it...leaves you baby if you don't care for it

Last edited:
Re: Stop in the name of love

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
If I was to quote what I'm about to address, this message would take up volumes of space. Thus, I won't point fingers, name names, but just clear some stuff up.

*ahem* Is this thing on?

This is not a utopia. It's 1984, baby. And sure, every community has problems. But I think everyone should look waaaaaay deep down and first and foremost, try and figure out why they're so upset. Are you upset that your friends are leaving? Is that why you're getting angry with them? Yelling and complaining, bitching and moaning, pointing fingers and swearing won't change anyone's mind. If you're really friends, shake their hands, wish them well that they're moving on. I don't see how this can be a bad thing. If people want to say what they REALLY think , then, by all means darlings, go for it. It's an opinion, and we could all benefit from hearing another point of view now and then.
In fact, all the belittling and anger only makes it look as though you WANT them to leave...drive them out
...like horses over the hill.

Are you angry because you feel Interference is changing? Interference changes everyday. People come, leave. If you gave YOUR support you have ensured that it will be around for a time. People come and go everyday here, and in RL. We don't bemoan it the, why now? No one asked me to come. No one asked me to leave, no one has asked me to stay. In the end, it is my decision.
...on borderland we run, still we run, we run and don't look back

Why do you feel that just because people are leaving that they're not your friends anymore/not the people you thought they were? Friends don't have to see eye to eye. They don't have to support the same causes. We have all used a servcie. Whether or not you feel you need to donate money to this service is YOUR choice. In the same way, you cannot change whether or not people donate money to, say, the library system (forgive the stupid analogy, but three hours of Biochemistry homework has about melted my thought process). It's there, we use it. We can give money to it, or we can choose to forgoe it. In the same way, every year I run in the Terry Fox Run for cancer research. It's a chance for me to jog a marathon. I can give money to it, or not. It's my choice. How worthy or valid YOU think this choice is, or how valid you think Intereference is, is a matter of personal opinion.
...yo, my love don't cost a thing. If I do or don't come back, i'll still love U2. That will never change.

..in the end everything DOES cost money. Everything comes from our own pockets.
Accessing internet from school...not a free service. Covered in tuition fees (those incidental fees kill you everytime).
$12, $18, $30...one potato, two potato, three potato, four...where you dwell it might cost more
...peeling off those dollar bills and slapping them down..one thousand, two thousand.

Yes, it might have been a better idea to implement this plan from the beginning. Then maybe we wouldn't have all this drama.

If you don't think things haven't changed here in the past few weeks, go back and read a few posts. The nasty comments are utterly astounding. How people can say these things to someone you've never met really irks me. How people can say these things and turn around lkess than five minutes later and seeimngly say they'll miss everyone here, we love you and this place, we all owe it to ourselves, we respect you, etc, etc, lovelovekisskissetcetcetc..is amazing really. Obviously these people didn't like/love/respect others or those things never would have been said to begin with...hmmm?
...sweetheart, you're so cruel

I feel like a broken record.
...how long must we sing this song?

...one love, we get to share it...leaves you baby if you don't care for it

Wow.

That may be about the most mature (and most creative) thing I've read on this topic as of late.

And you know what?

I agree with what you just said completely.

Angela

Re: Zoomanda is right

U2girl said:
:shrug:
I do realise it's been a lot of money and Elvis has been generous, but I've pondered a different question: how come this site wasn't free/premium status from the beginning? You know...why now, after 5 years of running? Maybe all this stuff wouldn't have happen if we had that sort of order from the start.

Simple, as the sites membership grows, as well as the viewers, so do the expenses.

When I started this site, I was a young dotcommer (prior to the term even being coined)... and not that it's anyone's business, but I was making money like it grew on trees (or what seemed like it to a 19-20 yr old). Priorities change, life changes, and income changes, as well as expenses change. The internet has changed dramatically, and so has my life. Interference has always been a love, so I did what I had to in order to keep it running, and growing. As I've made it quite clear already, spending thousands of dollars a year (of my own money) on Interference can no longer be one of my personal priorities.

Joel

PS. And by the way... WHY are people brainwashing themselves to think the site is going to be closed to non-paying members? Sheesh. This simply isn't true. Settle down.

The sky isn't gonna fall

Elvis said:

PS. And by the way... WHY are people brainwashing themselves to think the site is going to be closed to non-paying members? Sheesh. This simply isn't true. Settle down.

You mean that the seas won't dry up, trees won't spontaniously burst into flames, there will be no plague of locusts, massive earthquakes, and other general apocolyptic type stuff on Dec. 1?

;)

Like O2 said:

Why does this need to be documented? It's Joel's business how much he spends on this or anything else.

typo edit

of course he doesn't have to document anything, and he has exercised his option not to do so; therefore, no one should talk as if they know what he has or hasn't spent on this website

The Wanderer said:

of course he doesn't have to document anything, and he has exercised his option not to do so; therefore, no one should talk as if they know what he has or hasn't spent on this website

...nor did i ever have a reason to... this has been a hobby, not a personal business.

Re: The sky isn't gonna fall

daisybean said:

You mean that the seas won't dry up, trees won't spontaniously burst into flames, there will be no plague of locusts, massive earthquakes, and other general apocolyptic type stuff on Dec. 1?

;)

:lol:

should I..shouldn't I? prolly not..but when has that stopped me?

I sincerely hope you people ( and I presume you would because you are u2fans with enough options in life to be connected to the internet and have good manners) I sincerely hope, you have already been showing your appreciation to Joel. Was he being ignored before the mention of his current situation came up? He already knows how I feel. If you cared about him in the past, you perhaps should be caring about him even more now.
Now this "hand-out" notion. Have many of you been seriously poor?Is it pride? is it a sin? no..it's just wanting to be given the opportunity to have the same standing as everyone else. Charity is given to someone who is truly desperate and has no other options and that if, given with some empathy and dignity is a good thing. Hand-outs are different imho.

I have been a member of Interference for, must be nearly 3 years? I had only just connected to the net and stumbled into this blue room. My o my, do i have a collection of memories....unbelievable...almost. It has broadened my experience of human nature so much. I am so grateful.... that which does not kill me makes me strong!!!!
SO TAKE THAT!!!I'm staying!!
we got a new year's eve booking secured!!!! hoo-bloody-ray.You're not rid of me yet:mac:
I read thru this post, some of the stuff I agreed with , some I didn't...I just don't know how to use the quote function thingie,
YET
It's an individual choice, be gracious, PLEASE...I'll happily sponsor someone in the new year. It is more economical to send a postal order for $40 than $20Aus. I don't know any of you ,many of you, that well. If someone is a young student and genuinely Loves U2 and feels this place enhances their life...let me know.
love cass

I know you just love it when I sing...one for Joel....U make me so very happy, I'm so glad you came into my world.
cause, shite. it was quiet before you did greenPEACE :wave:

Re: should I..shouldn't I? prolly not..but when has that stopped me?

cass said:
It's an individual choice, be gracious, PLEASE...I'll happily sponsor someone in the new year. It is more economical to send a postal order for $40 than $20Aus. I don't know any of you ,many of you, that well. If someone is a young student and genuinely Loves U2 and feels this place enhances their life...let me know.
love cass

If someone would sponsor me, I would really appreciate it.

Angela

I think someone else is planning on sponsoring you, if they havent already.

aww crikey..i've been away for 24 hours

and what I said up there has been worrying me. I don't mean let "me" know. I mean I'd send the $$ to Elvis and he can decide. I don't know anyone here much..well about 3 people and they are already members. I don't know or want to know ...I'd just trust Joel to help the right person. Something like that. I didn't mean anyone to contact me or anything. If Interefernce thrives, I'll send the extra $$ with my subscription fee in the new year, when I can ,asap.

cass would you stop already?? You already donated plenty, you're already a premium member, there is no need to donate more. You have done your share!

Back
Top Bottom