MERGED --> Has anyone here dealt with Depression? + What are the symptoms of being...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was taking Zoloft and haven't taken it in about 4 months. I went off gradually and I'm fine now. Best of luck to you.

It's been nearly a week on the half dose of Effexor XR and I've had (knock on wood) NO weird side effects. I've had my fair share of stress at work and lost my Grandmother on 3/31 also, so I am happy to report that I am doing alright.

Thanks Thora. So today I am home from work (again) with a HORRIBLE migraine. Not sure what exactly the cause, could be a combination of things, so I am making note and time will tell. It's bee n a rough couple of weeks, so I am giving myself the benefit of the doubt, and taking it easy.

(I-70 takes a deep breath) May I please be added to this thread because I've been on Lexapro for 2 years & it's helped me BIG TIME!!
Blurmgrl-I wish you the best of luck & you're in my prayers.

^ :wave: hello I-70, glad to hear lexapro has been helping you :)

great to hear things are going well for you too Carek :) hopefully that migraine had nothing to do with the low doses :uhoh:
:hug:

youtooellen said:
^ :wave: hello
great to hear things are going well for you too Carek :) hopefully that migraine had nothing to do with the low doses :uhoh:
:hug:

Thanks. I am hoping the same, because otherwise I honestly feel great. No dizziness, no clouded head feeling, no vertigo, no ringing in the ears. It's great. I've been dealing with an incredible amount of stressful and emotional things at work and home the past 2-3 weeks, so I think the headache arose from that actually, stress and hormone related. I keep a headache journal tho, so we shall see. But thanks to all for their kindness, caring and most of all for the :hug:

All the best to everyone here, a :hug: from me

I haven't read all the pages before, but I printed them.
I have a friend that's dealing with depression and I visited her yesterday -- she's in a hospital right now, trying to find the right treatment. I felt so .. powerless and useless!!
I tried to make her laugh, we talked a lot, both about her condition and about unimportant things.
But when I left and came back in my car to take my way home I just could not avoid crying because I don't know what to do.
i don't want to leave her alone, but I do not know if there's really something I can do.
Opinions?

I read the previous pages...
well, all I can say to all of you that had to deal with this is just that I'm trying to understand how you feel/Felt

A big hug to you all

lady luck said:
I haven't read all the pages before, but I printed them.
I have a friend that's dealing with depression and I visited her yesterday -- she's in a hospital right now, trying to find the right treatment. I felt so .. powerless and useless!!
I tried to make her laugh, we talked a lot, both about her condition and about unimportant things.
But when I left and came back in my car to take my way home I just could not avoid crying because I don't know what to do.
i don't want to leave her alone, but I do not know if there's really something I can do.
Opinions?

You're doing the right thing, lady luck! We need people around us when we're feeling down. Just making us laugh and distracting us is great. I think you're doing an excellent job, and I know your friend will appreciate you being there for her. Friends are so wonderful, and you sound like you're doing a great job being there for her.

You may feel powerless and useless, but the fact that you care says so much. You are doing something, and don't give up. Ask your friend what would be helpful for her, and do it if you can.

Even if it's just hanging out with her every now and then, it will probably be so helpful for her.

Sorry if I'm rambling. :) My point is that you're definitely doing the right thing.

Lady Luck, your friend is lucky to have you as a friend. You are doing the right thing by your friend also by providing strength, support, caring, friendship which is what she obviously needs right now to work through her difficult time. Stick by her, and she should be fine. You should be proud of yourself for the wonderful friend you are. And believe in karma---what goes around, comes around. You will be double blessed for helping a friend in need. Know this, and trust this. Also, we are here to listen and help when and where we can. Good luck to you and Bless you and your friend. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

to me, when I feel a bit down, I find that the little things around friends matter the most. like, small acts of kindness. not enormous things such as buying a meal, but small things like, asking if you want a ride home or something of those sorts.

and it seems just by you visiting her and talking to her, you're doing very well in helping her. talking really does help a lot, especially around very close friends.
don't feel useless; you really are making a difference.

best of luck for you and your friend, I really hope things improve for the both of you :hug: :hug:

I have another question -- is there, according to you something that I'd better not to do?
Any suggestion will be really appreciated!!!

Illumination70 said:
(I-70 takes a deep breath) May I please be added to this thread because I've been on Lexapro for 2 years & it's helped me BIG TIME!!
Blurmgrl-I wish you the best of luck & you're in my prayers.
Thank you. My best to you as well. :hug:

:wave: Hello I-70, thanks for joining us and welcome!

I'm happy to report that week #2 on half dose Effexor XR and I'm feeling really good. Clear headed, un clouded, the fog has lifted that I lived with for so long. I don't miss it! I've been busy at work and my eyes are tired and so am I at the end of each day, otherwise everything's good. 2-6 more weeks to go.

Lastly, Lady Luck asked for some advice on perhaps what NOT to do with her friend and I'd say don't keep asking her how she is, and don't allow her to feel like you are checking up/babysitting/coddling her in any way. Allow everything to be nice, even keel and friendly, nothing out of ordinary. I agree with the small things. Those are the things that when I look back at the rough spots I went through meant the most to me tha my support system folks did for me.....go out for coffee, cook a meal for her, send a card now and then for no real reason, a hug and an "I love you" also goes real far. So far you are doing just fine. Keep up the good work! :hug:

Isn't that unclouded feeling great? The entire time I was on Zoloft, I felt like I was in a bubble. I was still experiencing my life, but not as fully as I had in the past. In fact, I got to a point around the time when I decided to stop taking it that I wondered if I could ever possibly experience things the same way I had before--if things could make me happy in the way they once had, and so forth.

About 2 weeks after I went off Zoloft, I went to my first U2 show in 8 years, and that night felt better than anything in a long, long time. While it was probably my least favorite of the shows I saw last year (which is funny, because it was still a great show!), it was a huge turning point for me, because that night I realized that things in fact could make me as happy as they once had.

^It is AMAZING. I keep trying to think how long has it been since I felt like this? It is so wonderful! I feel GREAT! I am also sleeping better. Go figure......and to think I was so concerned about weaning off this med. So far it's gone very well and I couldn't be more pleased with how I Feel, the clarity is a gift, it's a renewal and what better time of year....Springtime! :happy:

I will visit my friend at the hospital tomorrow -- armed with a big Easter Egg and another funny girl!!

that's so great Carek!

and lady luck, I hope you and your friend have a great time with your friend at the hospital :)

^ Thanks, Carek!!!

it's been an odd afternoon -- my friend and me were cheerful and we talked about the most different things -- from our group of Amnesty till underwear!!
We laughed a lot -- but the problem is that I see my friend more and more tired and I have the impression that the drugs she is taking are ... well, it's like if she's having difficulties in keeping her mind clear :sad:
I really hope she can go out of that place soon...

As my friend and I were in the car on our way back home, we got sms from this girl that was thanking us and saying we are a good cure vs depression!

You are so wonderful, lady Luck, but i know that for a while:)
My question for those in deep depression would be: when the suffering become too much for me, i guess, i sometimes feel, well, like in the Garbage song I think im paranoid. I feel like i am full of fear and even got somewhat like moments of panics. Anyone familiar with this and know how to deal with it?:help: :help: :help:

^ girlhappy, I don't think I can relate well to what you're saying, so I guess I can't be of much help. but one thing I feel whenever I do get a bit low in the trenches, I seem to feel extremely insecure which makes me feel really paranoid. but it's not an outward paranoia, but a mental paranoia. where I feel like I misplaced everything, I'm losing my memory, I can't recall what my previous activity was, etc. geez, I probably make no sense. :| haha sorry.. :uhoh:

lady luck said:
As my friend and I were in the car on our way back home, we got sms from this girl that was thanking us and saying we are a good cure vs depression!

great to hear your time with your friend went well. your friend might've appeared very tired, but I bet your visit with your friend made her feel considerably better. :)

Back
Top Bottom