Major Depression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On Lexapro (Citalopram) 10 mg since 14/10. No side effects to report and it seems to me a significant reduction in suicidal ideation has occured, which is good.

Now I am supposed to join some clubs. I don't know about this, never been the club-joining type, apart from a few political parties, and I rarely bothered going to the meetings. I'd like to do more outdoorsy stuff like surfing, rock-climbing, kayaking, etc, but I really have no idea where to start. I really don't know anyone who is into that stuff and it seems very daunting trying it on your own. I try and get out for a cycle a few times a week but it's always on my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iQl46-zIcM

On Lexapro (Citalopram) 10 mg since 14/10. No side effects to report and it seems to me a significant reduction in suicidal ideation has occured, which is good.

Now I am supposed to join some clubs. I don't know about this, never been the club-joining type, apart from a few political parties, and I rarely bothered going to the meetings. I'd like to do more outdoorsy stuff like surfing, rock-climbing, kayaking, etc, but I really have no idea where to start. I really don't know anyone who is into that stuff and it seems very daunting trying it on your own. I try and get out for a cycle a few times a week but it's always on my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iQl46-zIcM

:hug:

I've been on Citalopram before for depression. I had to go to counselling to keep getting it prescribed though and hated my counsellor so stopped going. :reject:

Not sure where in Ireland you are but if you google surfing/rock climbing/kayaking clubs in your area you should be able to find if there are any. I personally love kayaking. :love: Am sure when you join something you will meet lots of people who share that same interest. Like going to a U2 concert. Maybe find a new friend there. It is daunting going somewhere by yourself but sometimes it can be rewarding.

Hope you manage to find something fun you enjoy. :)

:hug:s to all in this thread who need them.

That's great news, really encouraging. :)

Just a suggestion, since it sounds like you're not really a joiner, maybe it might be easier for you to choose a cause or activity you care about, and see about doing something in a volunteer capacity? You'll get to know people by working alongside them, but it may not feel as awkward, since the primary goals aren't social in nature. Instead, any social or interpersonal rewards come as a side benefit of what you're doing, and at the same time, you're deriving satisfaction and a sense of purpose from helping others. It sort of helps you get out of your own head, and gives you a new perspective.

Try meetup.com. Its a great place to join "clubs" or meet people who enjoy the same interests as you. There's a Dublin version of meetup.com, so maybe you'll find something:

Meetups near Dublin - Meetup

I'm in the same boat as Financeguy. I'm on 20mg of Celexa and 1mg of Ativan when needed (my doctor said to take it up to three times a day, but it makes me so sleepy). My counselor also suggested group sessions and I balked at it, made some excuses etc etc. I am not good with groups. Shy shy shy!

With us adopting the cat, I have found my mood has improved somewhat. Though there are times like this morning where I wake up with that weight on my chest for no known reason. The ideation hasn't ceased completely but I try to push it aside when it comes. The difference being now (unless I'm at my dads where the animals are) I have a soft kitty to cuddle right here should my mood start taking a swift dive south.

I canceled my meeting with my counselor this week and indefinitely because I've never really felt that comfortable with her. We tried the CBT, it sort of worked I guess (I'm still alive) but going to go without counseling for a bit and see what happens. If I start falling like a brick I'll go to another counseling clinic (place a few months after my assault, they had three free sessions.. I went to all three and then thought I was better. :doh: But the counselor I had there was much more.. gentle I guess you could say and didn't say strange things to me when I told them I was suicidal like my current counselor does)

I have to give her credit, I am still alive but part of me wants to give some of that credit to myself. I'm the one fighting for the week or weeks in between our one hour sessions.

Anyway, enough of that for now. I wish good luck to financeguy, I hope you find something that will make you happy and you'll enjoy. :hug:

hey im actually new to this forum but ive read some of the posts on here and just wanted to say that things do get better. I am in Dublin and I can honestly say our health care system does not do near enough in tackling depression. The HSE (public system) arent exactly fantastic with offering help etc and VHI (private) dont really have a proper plan for it so yes you are left to your own devices to sort yourself out which is hard. I took a massive overdose a few years back and i nearly died. it was absolutely rock bottom.
i saw a counsellor and then a psychiatrist. i took lexapro too. I started feeling better once everyone knew, that was a big step for me. i started to take things day by day, it was very important that I stopped myself overanalysing the what ifs of the future and the things i had messed up in the past. I also gave myself some projects, small things like taking a class, rearranging your house, maybe get a small animal etc and i went away on a holiday to somewhere i had always wanted to go as a treat to myself. You need to treat yourself. I know how awful it is when youre smack bang in the middle of depression because it consumes you and meeting with friends etc seems pointless because you feel dead on the inside. I wasnt able to work or anything when i was going through it and i also hid it from everyone because there still is a stigma about depression. i can honestly say though the whole thing has made me stronger, i have off days from time to time but im very quick to tell myself to cop on and stop wallowing. Btw Finance guy you're also in Ireland have you seen the Amnesty International Mental Health campaign they are running in Ireland, would you consider getting yourself involved in something like that? Where are you in Irl? there are a few rowing clubs in Dublin, you could try out sailing, or even hill walking Coilte have a group who meet up on Saturdays to go walking up the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains? there are so many options out there. I hope youre all feeling better :)

Back
Top Bottom