LOTR who????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I think I am the only person on the planet who isn't into these movies. :reject:

I just don't get them! I don't get what's so good about them!

After hearing all the hype, I actually went out and bought the first one on dvd. It took my roommate and I three days to watch it. Three. We cheered when it was over and lamented our fried brain cells.

(ok ok so it didn't help I thought i was watching The Hobbit, which I just finished reading, and was thoroughly confused the first half hour.)

So Two Towers came out and I rewatched the first one in hopes of "getting it".. but no, nothing. I got as far as the boys fleeing the kingdom or land or whatever and I started vacuuming and cleaning. seriously? am i the only one?!

WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT LOTR? :scream:

Give me E.T. anyday. :p

I promised my son over and over again that I would watch the DVD with him. He is obsessed and has watched it probably 30 times since I bought it for him. We sat down to watch it on a Saturday afternoon and I kind of liked the first 30 minutes..until I looked over and saw that the little shit was SLEEPING! :mad:

I snuck out of the room and he didn't wake up until the end of the first dvd and wanted to know why I didn't watch it with him. :uhoh:

I tried again on New Years Eve, this time with my son and my sister but I ended up sleeping through the whole thing. My sister totally got into it and now wants to go see the Two Towers. When I did wake up and tried to talk to my loving family, everyone yelled at me "shut up...we're trying to watch this! A-holes. :eyebrow:

I don't get either. I tried. Twice. Nothing. :reject:

I finally saw the first one last night, and I fell asleep in the middle! :reject: I thought the cinematography (sp?) was good and everything, but I didn't think that the movie was so wonderfully amazing.

I'll probably see Two Towers eventually just so I'm not a pop culture reject. :shrug:

The books were okay, but if I can avoid it I won't go to any LOTR movie. :tsk:

I could care less about LOTR as well. I've never read the books and don't care about watching the movies either. I felt the same way about Harry Potter, but I started watching the movie with my kids, and I acutally liked it.

phew i no longer feel alone!

We suffer in silence but look how many of us there are!

Maybe they're (the ones who adore lotr) are the weirdos not us. :uhoh: :sexywink:

And can you believe all the people who dress up in character to go view the movie. I can understand Stormtrooper armor or a good bounty hunter costume to see Star Wars, but Hobbit feet & ears?

nerds :sexywink:

Re: phew i no longer feel alone!

oliveu2cm said:
We suffer in silence but look how many of us there are!

Maybe they're (the ones who adore lotr) are the weirdos not us. :uhoh: :sexywink:

:lol: :yes:

well I don't think I would be able to explain it to you

One friend I chat to from Interference said "it bores him dead"I love that and use that phrase regularly now. It's so cute.:sexywink:
Should I attempt to explain what it is that some people see in something to other people?
Probably not, but here goes.....
JRR Tolkien, wrote "The Hobbit" as an adventure story for his children.Nothing grand, just a tale of adventure.
He was rather saddened by the death of his friends during WW1( he served in the Somme, only one of three returned) I think in LOTR he was just trying to express some of the grief and horror he experienced there. He didn't really want to write such an epic, but his good friend was a publisher and persisted in asking him to write more...amd more.It has been suggested the one ring is a metaphor for the nuclear bomb." father forgive them, they know not what they do."
If you can find a book called "Letters to Father Christmas "( something like that, I loaned my copy out and never received it back, so that title is not accurate) you may be a bit more entertained by Tolkien. That's mainly what I perceive about him, his love and incredible energy and output. he was orphaned early in his life, so I find his achievemnts even more remarkable.
Not only was he quite a good writer imho, he also did some beautiful and witty paintings. I think mainly he just loved language and children. I think many of the people who are excited about the movie, fell in love with the book and it's characters first.
I think Peter Jackson has crafted his tale for the cinema screen beautifully.
As for the nerds who dress up? I went to the premiere in my little town. I wore green velvet and a crystal necklace to express my love of JRR. I wasn't a "character" from the story as such, but felt happy to be part of what we thought of as a special day. It was the day after Christmas too, so a feeling of love and sharing was in the air. One man there had made a Gimli outfit, his wife was dressed as Galadriel. I don't think they are nerds. I know they are school teachers,and dance instructors and celtic harp makers....maybe that makes them nerds. I know they are kind-hearted...nerdy too?Maybe if you think of it like people who wear U2 tshirts, you may understand a little more. It has something to do with love and respect ...and fun.
It's all just a matter of what each individual enjoys and is interested in. It is wonderful to hear Tolkien referred to as part of "popular culture" Once again I'll repeat what I said in the "Two Towers Stoke" I wish he had lived to know all this.
As for people who sleep through movies and television etc....I don't think it always has to do with the excitement or the quality of what is being viewed. There are a lot of sleepy people about these days.

I have just discovered an authour that is even older than Tolkien and the first paragraph I just read, reminded me instantly of this place...
Marcus Aurelius
" begin each day by telling yourself: Today I shall be meeting with interference, ingratitude, insolence, disloyalty, ill-will and selfishness - all of them due to the offenders' ignorance of what is good and evil.......
for he and I were born to work together, like a man's two hands...."

I thought it was so funnyl to see old "O'Really Us" referring to INterference waaaaaaaaaaay back then. How did he know do you suppose?
It's a case of you either get it or you don't....I'm sure that attempted explaination helped:yes: :wave:

Cass, that was actually a beautiful tribute to Tolkien. I didn't know any of that, about him writing for children or his real love of writing. :) I'm not sure if the movies will do it for me, so maybe I'll start with the books. :heart:

Thanks! ~Olive

I Hate hate hate LOTR my friend put me through pure torture watching that I lept leaving my room but she kindly paused it for me :no:

I love the snowman :heart:

Cass, that was a lovely post!

As for me, I tried reading the Hobbit, but couldn't make it past the first page or two. I will perhaps try the LOTR series this summer. Anyway, I am a big believer that if you can't read a classic book, the movie is the next best thing. I have really enjoyed the two movies, and even if you don't care for the story, the (enormous) 4 DVD set that explains how the movie is made will blow your mind, and make you appreciate the movie much more. One guy strung together 12 MILLION little plastic rings to make the chain mail (sp?) armour!!!!

I really like the environmental spin on it....maybe it will instill the importance of nature and the environment on younger viewers.

I still don't get what all the fuss over Viggo is about though! :huh: :silent:

I saw FoTR the first day it came out.. had horrible seats, and had noisy relatives with me and ended up not really understanding it at all and not thinking it was very good.

When TTT came out in '02, I rented the FotR DVD, watched it.. and liked it. Now I understood it, but I still didn't understand all the hype. Then I saw TTT on New Year's Eve, and LOVED it. It was so mind-blowingly good. I still had the DVD, so I rewatched it, and FINALLY understood the hype -- it's an amazing movie. I started reading FotR right afterwards. I expected it to be really difficult to read, and not very enjoyable. However, it was exactly the kind of book I read all the time -- written exactly the same way, but very enjoyable anyway, and special and unique.

</fanatical blather> ;)

Back
Top Bottom