Lord help me. I'm going bald.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
About a year and a half ago I noticed the hair at the front of my hairline was getting kind of thin and it worried me a bit. Fast forward to now and my hair line has receded alot. It's very apparent to me that I'm going bald (my dad is bald also). It's not so bad that I look like a bald guy with a comb-over or anything, but to me it's very obvious. Of course, this sucks for me.

I'm not very quickly losing my hair. There isn't a bunch on my pillow in the morning or in the shower, but I can notice that my hair line has receded a lot, and I'm think it's starting to look unattractive. In the past few months I've even had a few people comment on it saying "man your hair line is receding", so I know it's not in my head. One strange thing is that a lot of the hair seems to be falling from the right side and not so much the left. My hair seems to naturally wave to the right more so it doesn't seem too obvious, but it's more obvious when the wind blows it or it's wet. Again, it doesn't look too bad. Girls still look at me, people aren't constantly staring at it and all that jazz.

Anyways, what can I do? I accept that I may eventually just have to deal with the fact that I'll go through life bald, but I'm only 21 and as of now I really want to put up a fight. I want to keep my hair and grow back what's gone away if that's at all possible. I've read about things like proscar and they seem to be somewhat reliable, but I feel like I'm still somewhat in the dark.

Anyone have a similar experience?

I don't know much about this, but here's one quick tip:

DO NOT STRESS ABOUT THIS. Stress shuts down the hair follicles and makes hair growth more difficult. :wink:

^No doubt.

It's about the attitude, I'm a good lookin girl and bald guys attract me as much as the full haired dudes. But when a balding guy sits in the corner or tries to hide it, is where I just dismiss them just as much as the guys with the full head of hair....Just don't come off tooooo strong.

There's just something about a guy that attracts girls, and it's just NOT his looks or his attitude, there's a certain humbleness...
And ya know, since I'm in a U2 forum...Bono is thinning quite a bit but he's not fretting about it too much (I hope) and nor does he stand in a corner nor does he buy a Trump sweepover.

A girl will like you and she should like you for who you are and not your bank account nor your hair thickness. I still fancy Bruce Willis and have since the Moonlighting days.

I know I'll get happily married one day with a girl that loves me regardless of my hair, but I want it anyways. I've always loved my hair... it's one of my favorite things on me :(

Maybe it's a temporary condition like alopecia or it's stress related. Baldness doesn't usually happen that fast. But even if it is there are lots of new treatments that might help. Also, look at your mother's father and brothers. That's where the heredity comes from. What's their hair like?

I would just accept it and let it go. I know guys that were partially or mostly bald before age 25. If you try to thicken it artificially and whatnot, it's painfully obvious. Personally, I'd be more attracted to a guy that didn't worry about it than a guy who felt he had to try to cover it up. It may seem like people are constantly staring at you, but unless you have a really bad haircut, I doubt they are. Like if I have a zit, I feel like everyone's looking at me, but it's just me being self-conscious, no one really cares.

LemonMelon said:
I don't know much about this, but here's one quick tip:

DO NOT STRESS ABOUT THIS. Stress shuts down the hair follicles and makes hair growth more difficult. :wink:

:tsk: First of all, while he makes a point about not stressing, don't listen to the 16 year-old... (sorry Lemon :wink: )

I feel your pain, I have noticed my hair line has been recently receding but I have come to the realization that if it's going to happen, it's going to happen... There really isn't some magic potion you can take to fix this.

Above all else, AVOID THE COMB OVER! Do not, I repeat; DO NOT CLING TO THE REMAINS, once it reaches a certain point, shave the rest off, older bald men look dignified, at least that's what I keep telling myself...

This is totally off topic, but shart1780

shart ... that word totally reminds me of something else ... something not very pleasant.

elevated_u2_fan said:

There really isn't some magic potion you can take to fix this.

I don't know about that. I saw an article once, with pictures, (not an ad) about how Matthew MacConnahey (sp) told how he grew his hair back using some potion. It showed pics of his receding hairline and balding head 'before', then, 'after' hair. And you know he's got hair now. I'm sure whatever he used was very expensive. When asked if it was a cure for baldness, he said 'it works for me.'

Also on the news the other night I saw a story about a brand new invention, a laser comb that is supposed to stop it if you catch it in its early stages.

shart1780 said:
Actually neither my dad's dad or my mom's dad lost their hair. My dad did lose his, though.

That's because your Dad took after HIS Mom's Dad, and not his Dad. My husband's Dad's Dad was totally bald but his Dad had hair, and his Mom's Dad had Ronald Reagan hair at 80. He took after his Mom's Dad so he's nearly 40 and has long thick hair. If your Mom's Dad isn't bald, maybe you're losing your hair for some other reason. It doesn't seem like hereditary baldness (which is what hits guys when they go bald young) Good luck!

It could be. It almost seems unnatural because the hair on the right side of my head seems to be losing it alot faster. In fact, I don't know if the left side has receded much at all.

I started losing my hair at age 22. I was really down about it at first, but I started realizing I look a lot better with out. I am very lucky in that my head is nicely shaped (at least I think so) and you get over it very quickly. Now at 24, I don't have much left and I buzz my head every 3-4 days and shave it once in a while. Its a great feeling.

Another positive on being bald....you get kick ass bald friends......

100_0465.jpg

twinkle-twinkle-shineydomes!

elevated_u2_fan said:

:tsk: First of all, while he makes a point about not stressing, don't listen to the 16 year-old... (sorry Lemon :wink: )

:slant: He was looking for advice on how to get his hair back, not how to cover it up or make it look better. :tsk: And you had to bring up comb-overs... :wink:

TheBrush said:
I started losing my hair at age 22. I was really down about it at first, but I started realizing I look a lot better with out. I am very lucky in that my head is nicely shaped (at least I think so) and you get over it very quickly. Now at 24, I don't have much left and I buzz my head every 3-4 days and shave it once in a while. Its a great feeling.

Another positive on being bald....you get kick ass bald friends......

100_0465.jpg

twinkle-twinkle-shineydomes!

Posted with Mr. BAW's permission...Old Bald Guys rule!

shart1780 said:
About a year and a half ago I noticed the hair at the front of my hairline was getting kind of thin and it worried me a bit. Fast forward to now and my hair line has receded alot. It's very apparent to me that I'm going bald (my dad is bald also). It's not so bad that I look like a bald guy with a comb-over or anything, but to me it's very obvious. Of course, this sucks for me.

I'm not very quickly losing my hair. There isn't a bunch on my pillow in the morning or in the shower, but I can notice that my hair line has receded a lot, and I'm think it's starting to look unattractive. In the past few months I've even had a few people comment on it saying "man your hair line is receding", so I know it's not in my head. One strange thing is that a lot of the hair seems to be falling from the right side and not so much the left. My hair seems to naturally wave to the right more so it doesn't seem too obvious, but it's more obvious when the wind blows it or it's wet. Again, it doesn't look too bad. Girls still look at me, people aren't constantly staring at it and all that jazz.

Anyways, what can I do? I accept that I may eventually just have to deal with the fact that I'll go through life bald, but I'm only 21 and as of now I really want to put up a fight. I want to keep my hair and grow back what's gone away if that's at all possible. I've read about things like proscar and they seem to be somewhat reliable, but I feel like I'm still somewhat in the dark.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Join the club - go for a number 1 haircut, beat nature too it and parade your lack of hair with pride.

PS In addition I am short, fat and four eyed so it aint all bad for you.:lol:

I'm growing my hair out for one last hurrah. Then I will admit defeat and shave it off again. Ironically, I kept my hair short for years when I full head of it. Now that it's going away, I keep it longer. Idiot.

I am ever so slowly losing a bit of hair in the front. I never thought it was a big deal, but I looked at a picture of myself from two years ago or so, and I can notice a slight difference.

Oh well.

Pluses are the fortune saved on haircuts and shampoo, the speed you can get ready to go out, the lack of inconvenience when its raining!

Its all good!

I am balding too. I am nearly 34 years old. I will probably be bald in a few years. It bothers me a lot because I feel women aren't attractive to bald guys. I already have low self-esteem. By the time I lose my hair, I won't have any self-esteem at all. I try to tell myself that there is nothing you can do about it. My mom says to me, "you're not the first and you're not the last" to lose your hair, meaning there are many guys like me. But again, when it comes to women, I just can't see how they would find me attractive if I am bald. I already feel like women aren't attracted to me even with some hair on my head. So I just try not to think about it. When I do lose my hair, I will try to stay positive. It won't be easy, but I have to try, just like you, Shart.

:hug:

Back
Top Bottom