legal advice???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
so today i checked irs.gov on the status of my rebate check and the message i got said i wasn't getting a check because someone claimed me as a dependent.

what should i do?

i tried calling the irs but got put on hold for 90 minutes.

oh, and i called certain family members to make sure no one tried to do something shady.

i am really pissed off though.

I don't know if you have any other recourse other than going directly through the IRS.

If you can't bear to sit on hold again, check IRS.gov to find your local IRS office with walk-in help.

I hope it's easier dealing with an IRS office than it is dealing with Unemployment. The state of California closed all their EDD offices and their phone lines are constantly busy, it can take WEEKS to get through to a live person!

I moved this to Zoo Confessionals because even though it isn't a confession, we tend to have more serious discussion here than in Lemonade Stand, so I felt it was more appropriate. If you want me to move it back though, just let me know, no problem.

I agree with BAW. I hope you get things worked out. :hug:

Wow do you think someone claimed you?? Or do you think IRS fucked up?

i claim myself. i'm just a single dude trying to get by in the world. i have no idea who could have claimed me, i contacted my folks and my grandmother.

Sounds like an IRS mistake then, if you were not claimed on your income taxes. Isn't that where they get the info for the tax rebate from?

david said:
i claim myself. i'm just a single dude trying to get by in the world. i have no idea who could have claimed me, i contacted my folks and my grandmother.

Did you get your regular tax refund already? Normally, if you state that no one can claim you as a dependent and someone else claims you anyway, you will receive a letter asking you to:

(a) confirm that no one else can claim you

or

(b) amend your return to state that you can be claimed by someone else

The amount of your regular refund would have been reduced or you might have ended up owing if someone else had used you as a dependent. If you received your refund without a problem and you haven't received any IRS letters about this, it sounds like the IRS has screwed up or you are getting bad info.

Good luck with this David, I hope you get it straightened out.

Yeah, I got my tax refunds Fed and State back in March... And my Federal Refund was greatly reduced..

So I take it there's some shady things going on.

deep said:

figure out which one claimed you and tell them they owe you $300 :shrug:

neither my folks (dad and step mom) claimed me as they shouldn't. I contacted my grandmother to ask about the possibility of my biological mother claiming me and she didn't know. I had to ask her because my biological mother passed away last july.

Back
Top Bottom