lame-arse confession

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BabyGrace

Refugee
I heard Somewhere Out There on my local crap radio station, WPST. You Philly/Jersey people will know what I am talking about. Now don't get me wrong, I want OLP to do well and get a lot of airplay, but that's just a little TOO mainstream for me. I can just see a bunch of 12 year old girls belting out the song, and screaming, "OMG I love Our Lady Peace!!!!"

now the question is, why am I so frickin protective of my music??? I want other people to appreciate it, but when the mainstream does, I get pissed off!! LOL
I think this is kinda like a thread that megannie, I believe, started awhile ago. I share your sentiments girl!! :huh:

Fieval! I can't spell it. Sorry.

It took me a minute to figure out that you weren't talking about that American Tail song.

Oh, but, yes, I agree. I want people (especially good fans, like on here) to like the music I like, but I'm scared of fair-weather fans, girls who like the band because they're cute (okay, so I think a lot of bands are cute, but that's not the only reason I like them), etc. I just don't want my bands being corrupted. :(

there is a difference though: ESPN is cool and PST just isn't! :D

meeganie I know EXACTLY how you feel! i guess we should just be happy its being bought by somebody right? but you know how they'll ditch them two weeks later. Im too controlling about this whole music thing lol

and i agree u2er, teenage girls suck bigtime :eeklaugh:

Re: Fieval! I can't spell it. Sorry.

meegannie said:
It took me a minute to figure out that you weren't talking about that American Tail song.

<------------ has the American Tail song on vinyl single. :eek: :shocked: :angel:

i know exactly what you're talking about...i hate it when people who i consider to be more shallow listen to u2...i mean, i think there are levels to music...

1. entertainment (which is nice, but not fulfilling)
2. feeling (the emotions caused by listening for more than just fun)
3. meaning (what lessons you can learn)
4. action (doing what's right because of how it makes you feel)

i fully realize that not all music is supposed to be "deep" but some things just are...i can't handle it when people don't realize that this music can (and something should) be taken seriously...

za enjoys taking the piss

but like, u2 are so like hott and they like just know how 2 like make me all giddy and i just wanna like jump larry's bones coz he's SOOOOOO freakin hot and i dont like care that they r like WAAAAY older than me coz like well, they are babes and larry has muscles and like yeah

:drool:

Re: Fieval! I can't spell it. Sorry.

meegannie said:

Arrgh .. me too!

So many great songs have been ruined for me because they get too much airplay on mainstream stations. I like music to be my little secret.

BabyGrace said:

meeganie I know EXACTLY how you feel! i guess we should just be happy its being bought by somebody right? but you know how they'll ditch them two weeks later. Im too controlling about this whole music thing lol

When the bad fans leave them, our bands can run into our arms for comfort.... :heart: :sexywink: :D

Well, for another viewpoint, I personally don't care much if people like the bands I like just casually or don't take them very very seriously. I just don't see why it should matter. Also, I'm happy to hear songs by bands I like on any type of radio station. I don't even mind hearing those songs in advertisements...

I do think that sometimes U2 fans can be overprotective. Isn't it a little excessive for us to go insane when someone says that they like another band more than U2? Which is how some U2 fans react.

Funny, Our Lady Peace is Canadian but I really know nothing by them. Is your avatar their singer, BG? He's easy on the eyes...

Scarrer of light, I agree with your point about being overprotective ... It's a tough line to walk (not just with U2, but with any band.

On one hand, you want them to be really successful, but on the other, it's kind of fun when you are part of a smallish group of people who really love a given band, who don't get a lot of airplay (as I said before, it's your little secret). It's fun being able to introduce your friends to than band and bring them into the fold.

For me, with U2, I think they are a big enough band that they should be getting playing more airplay then they do (judging by the airplay they get in my city). I usually fall out of my chair in shock when it happens.

Most of the U2 airplay is on one station (I guess it would be a top 40 station) and is very limited ... though a friend of mine who works third shift said they played 2 U2 songs (something from ATYCLB and something from JT) within and hour and a half of each other at 2 am. I don't want to have to be up at 2 am to hear U2 on the radio ... they're a better band (and a heck of a lot more relevant) than that. There are a couple of others stations that will play U2 (it seems like once a month).

Oh ... and the classic rock station will play JT stuff ever once and a great while (while this makes me cringe ... I am going to be 25 in 5 months, and music that I listened to growing up is on a classic radio station already ... now i feel old).

exactly meegannie! :yes: :D

you know I dont mind it as much with U2 JessicaAnn, because theyre established as a "deep" band and there will always be a huge contingent of people who fully appreciate everything they do. but OLP doesnt have such a huge following and Im afraid of them making it big in the wrong group of people and getting trashed as quickly as people pick em up (which seems to have already happened to them in some respects--I dunno, I'm a pretty new fan).

and yeah scattero, it is insane and irrational. that's why its a confession :D
yes, thats OLP's lead singer, and as always happens when I like a group a lot...I have a crush on him :D :D

Back
Top Bottom