just got an underage last night!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMScoopy

Refugee
im less than 3 months from turning 21. coming out of a party with 2 friends last night to find the cops waiting for us. took a breathalizer and i blew a .16. my one buddy blew a .34 or something. us 3 got underages and they broke up the party and my 4 friends that live there got underages as well. apparently the asshole neighbors called and bitched about noise or some bullshit. (you wouldnt think other college students would tell on eachother like grade schoolers.) IUP is real strict about drinking. the new IUP president is a real prick about it, and so are the cops. i dont give a shit about a fine, but i dont wanna lose my license for a few months. cause im gonna drive anyway, fuck em'.

funny that i can go die in Iraq, but if i drink 1 beer i pay a large ass fine and lose my drivers license for a few months.

What type of ticket did you get? That sucks.
When my sister and I were in college she got 2 drinking tickets. :wink: One time she wasn't even drinking. She demanded to be given a breathalyzer test and the cops refused. (she was within) an arms length of a beer) She didn't get her licence taken away though. I hope you guys weren't driving.

Good luck!!

In CA, a minor (under 21) with a .01 Blood Alcohol will lose his license for 1 year...Mandatory... doesn't have to be driving, can be standing on your sidewalk or in your house.... .01 and its over...I've harped and harped about this to my boys...they seem to "know it all"...we'll see.

One son turns 21 in 3 weeks, the other 2+ years...:shrug:

WildHoneyAlways said:
What type of ticket did you get? That sucks.
When my sister and I were in college she got 2 drinking tickets. :wink: One time she wasn't even drinking. She demanded to be given a breathalyzer test and the cops refused. (she was within) an arms length of a beer) She didn't get her licence taken away though. I hope you guys weren't driving.

Good luck!!

i didnt get a ticket, its gonna come in the mail i guess. no, we werent driving.

I'm glad that it's legal to drink from age eighteen here or I wouldn't be in the pub half as often.

Long may this continue.

It's actually quite funny that you as a guy who is nearly three years older than me can't legally have a little sup yet.

Actually I feel your pain.

:wink:

Enjoy alcohol responsibly.

Last edited:
JMScoopy said:
im less than 3 months from turning 21. coming out of a party with 2 friends last night to find the cops waiting for us. took a breathalizer and i blew a .16. my one buddy blew a .34 or something. us 3 got underages and they broke up the party and my 4 friends that live there got underages as well. apparently the asshole neighbors called and bitched about noise or some bullshit. (you wouldnt think other college students would tell on eachother like grade schoolers.) IUP is real strict about drinking. the new IUP president is a real prick about it, and so are the cops. i dont give a shit about a fine, but i dont wanna lose my license for a few months. cause im gonna drive anyway, fuck em'.

funny that i can go die in Iraq, but if i drink 1 beer i pay a large ass fine and lose my drivers license for a few months.

The laws of the land are the laws at hand.

Are you unhappy because you got busted, or because the laws are what they are?

Your post doesn't really evoke any sympathy or compassion, to be honest.

Re: Re: just got an underage last night!!!

For Honor said:

Here he comes to save the day!

For Honor said:

well i dont want your sympathy or compassion, to be honest.

i just wrote this on here to let off some steam. and im pissed off for both reasons. i thought that would be obvious.

I agree that having the drinking age at 21 is stupid. You can be sent to die for your country, choose the leader of the free world, buy cancer sticks, but not trusted to buy a drink? A little silly if you ask me. I don't drink though because the law's the law, and it's not "fun" or "cool" to me anyway :shrug:

underages are super serious. if you're an education major then your career is over before it even begins, and most majors are like that too. you're going to need to get an attorney and make a deal with the Indiana prosecutor to make it less, regardless of your major.

My girlfriend goes to IUP...I went to Cal U but have since graduated. IUP's a fun school. I always enjoy visiting her because everyone there is real nice.

MirrorballLemon said:
underages are super serious. if you're an education major then your career is over before it even begins, and most majors are like that too.

Worse, im a criminology major. :banghead:

underage drinking is a summary offense, i dont think they go on your permanent record, thank god. i might be able to get off on a technicallity, as i was just coming out of a building, not stumbling around or anything, so they had no real reason to stop us.

In my opinion, if you can decide the fate of your country by voting in an election, you should be able to drink. It doesn't make sense that a person can be assumed to be responsible and informed enough to vote (which affects an entire nation), but not responsible and informed enough to determine what goes into their body (which, for the most part, affects only his/herself). Baffling, really. It defies all reason.

JMScoopy said:

.16 after a single beer? You must be VERY small or have zero tolerance!!

.34?!?!?!?!? That's within the range such that a normal person would be in a coma and near death. If your friend is still conscious at that level, sounds like he should be more worried about alcoholism (which is probable if he's able to handle that level of intoxication), than a ticket/fine. Seriously, a .34 is disturbing for someone that young.

You sound just like my little bro. Always thinking he can do whatever he wants and everyone else are the ones with the problem. He got an underage ticket too and lost his lisence for a long time (except here they let you drive to and from work or school) and also had to take classes to avoid the fine or jail time or whatever the alternative was. As for your neighbors, if anyone's acting like gradeschoolers it's kids drinking underage and then being loud and abnoxious about it! :lol:

Honestly, I think the drinking/driving/voting/military age should be consistent - 18. No reason for everything else to be 18 and drinking to be an exception. However, since the drinking age is not 18 and is in fact 21, I think a lot of people need to grow up and get over it. If the hardest choices many of my peers make is whether or not to drink, then we have it pretty damn lucky to begin with.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

As for your neighbors, if anyone's acting like gradeschoolers it's kids drinking underage and then being loud and abnoxious about it! :lol:

couldnt agree with you more...when i lived on campus i had freshman punks coming in drunk and loud as hell almost every night. I was student teaching at the time so i needed my sleep. the one night this dickhead freshman education major comes bursting in, loud as hell, swearing like it was his job, and making homosexual, racist comments, then was banging on the door of a student who has profound CP and was mocking him by makingthe same uncontrollable noises that he was. I nearly called the police that night I was so furious, but instead went out into the hall, picked him up by his shirt, threw him against a wall, threatened him, then literally threw him in his room. He never came back drunk again

.34?!?!?!?!? That's within the range such that a normal person would be in a coma and near death. If your friend is still conscious at that level, sounds like he should be more worried about alcoholism (which is probable if he's able to handle that level of intoxication), than a ticket/fine. Seriously, a .34 is disturbing for someone that young.

You sound just like my little bro. Always thinking he can do whatever he wants and everyone else are the ones with the problem. He got an underage ticket too and lost his lisence for a long time (except here they let you drive to and from work or school) and also had to take classes to avoid the fine or jail time or whatever the alternative was. As for your neighbors, if anyone's acting like gradeschoolers it's kids drinking underage and then being loud and abnoxious about it! :lol:

Honestly, I think the drinking/driving/voting/military age should be consistent - 18. No reason for everything else to be 18 and drinking to be an exception. However, since the drinking age is not 18 and is in fact 21, I think a lot of people need to grow up and get over it. If the hardest choices many of my peers make is whether or not to drink, then we have it pretty damn lucky to begin with.

Some interesting moral judgements here.

On the basis of JMScoopy's first post you have determined:-

(1) JMScoopy's friend is an alcoholic

(2) JMScoopy 'sounds just like your younger bro' and therefore is 'always thinking he can do whatever he wants and everyone else are the ones with the problem.' Ok you didn't precisely say that but the implication is there.

Now I'm intrigued. Is ZC a place for posting about issues that interference members are facing, and looking for helpful advice? And how helpful do you think your advice will be, in the circumstances?

Last edited:

First off, i had more than 1 beer for chrissakes. I dont ever remember stating how much i had to drink. I was saying you could get an underage for drinking 1 beer.

Second, well hes a pretty big guy, and he was in pretty bad shape. He slurred like crazy and i think he fell down the stairs.

Third, they werent my neighbors, they were the neighbors of the party i was at. i think you should learn to read better.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: just got an underage last night!!!

JMScoopy said:
First off, i had more than 1 beer for chrissakes. I was saying you could get an underage for drinking 1 beer.

Second, well hes a pretty big guy, and he was in pretty bad shape. He slurred like crazy and i think he fell down the stairs.

I wouldn't even bother dude. Some people are more interested in dispensing moral judgments than offering advice.

As I said you need to consult a lawyer.

financeguy said:

Some interesting moral judgements here.

On the basis of JMScoopy's first post you have determined:-

(1) JMScoopy's friend is an alcoholic

(2) JMScoopy 'sounds just like your younger bro' and therefore is 'always thinking he can do whatever he wants and everyone elseryone else are the ones with the problem.' Ok you didn't precisely say that but the implication is there.

1) Sorry, but someone that can have a .34 blood alcohol level and still be standing, let alone conscious and responsive HAS to have done a LOT of drinking to get to that point of tolerance. That's not a moral judgement, it's science!! Honestly, if he was in fact at .34 I don't know whether to be disturbed or impressed :huh:

2) Well, when he was complaining about cops being pricks and the school pres being a prick for simply doing their jobs, like HIS underage drinking is somehow THEIR problem, yeah, I find that to be a bit immature. I still love my little brother unconditionally though, right? :D

You want helpful advice? OK....Scoopy's friend should deal with his alcohol problem and Scoopy should pay his fine or whatever and let this go b/c in the grand scheme of life, it's not that big of a deal and probably won't be on his record (depending on the state). :shrug:

Like I said, I sympathize in that I don't think the drinking age should be 21, but beyond that, I've seen this type of thing a thousand times and it's always the same story "cops are pricks, this is shit" yadda yadda yadda. He made a bad choice and will have to deal with the consequences, such is life. I don't have a problem with him posting here to vent, that's what the forum's here for.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: just got an underage last night!!!

On what grounds?...just curious....

Surely if it could affect his future career he should try to seek any loopholes to get off it?

JMScoopy said:

First off, i had more than 1 beer for chrissakes. I dont ever remember stating how much i had to drink. I was saying you could get an underage for drinking 1 beer.

My bad, when you said "one beer", I assumed you were referring to the "underage" offense.

That really sucks.

I think it is pathetic that at 21 you can't legally have a drink! The legal age is 18 here. I can't understand why it wouldn't be the same everywhere!

I am also surprised at how serious underage drinking seems to be where you are! My friends and I used to regularly drink when we were underage and the most the police would do if they saw us was take us home or tell us to "move on"!

OceanGirl said:

I am also surprised at how serious underage drinking seems to be where you are! My friends and I used to regularly drink when we were underage and the most the police would do if they saw us was take us home or tell us to "move on"!

I think a lot of times it depends on how strict the school is. Our school is also very strict, so they pressure cops to keep up with the parties and such, and even if you're drinking off-campus, the school will eventually know and you will be punished.

If it doesn't bother the school, the cops spend their time elsewhere with bigger fish to fry (murders, gangs, etc). In my city, it's easier to get away with in certain parts of town, just based on what colleges are nearby.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: just got an underage last night!!!

On what grounds?...just curious....

well we just walked out of the house, not stumbling or yelling or any of that stuff, and the police just stopped us for no reason, or because we came out of a house that got a complaint. the part that really pisses me off is they let everyone that was still at the party (except for the people who live there) just go home! :mad:

Some campus police can be bad...I got pulled over this spring because it was 3 am and I was exhausted and simply kinda coasted through a flashing red light without stopping. I got pulled over and the guy almost immediatley asked if I had had anything at all to drink that night. I had had a drink about 5 hours prior at dinner and when I said such he promptly asked me to get out of the car and made me do a sobriety test right there! I passed and all obviously but he was a little too eager to try and seem like a hardass and even made fun of my U2 liscense plates before having me do the test! :mad: The whole situation was really ridiculous.

starsgoblue said:
Some campus police can be bad...I got pulled over this spring because it was 3 am and I was exhausted and simply kinda coasted through a flashing red light without stopping. I got pulled over and the guy almost immediatley asked if I had had anything at all to drink that night. I had had a drink about 5 hours prior at dinner and when I said such he promptly asked me to get out of the car and made me do a sobriety test right there! I passed and all obviously but he was a little too eager to try and seem like a hardass and even made fun of my U2 liscense plates before having me do the test! :mad: The whole situation was really ridiculous.

when he asked you if you had anything to drink, i would've said "yeah i had a pepsi about a half hour ago."

Back
Top Bottom