Judging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela Harlem said:
I am personally beginning to despise the rumblings around this place, that certain topics need to be silenced and the opinions of anyone are not welcome.
yeah, any topic should be open for discussion

to be able to have a meaningful discussion though you need 2 things:
1. post it in a place where most of the readers will be interested in discussing it
2. you must have actually posted it because you want a discussion instead of just feeling like its time to ruffle some feathers

Elvis said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and give my opinion.... :shock:

A few things I've learned since I've started this place:

1) If you PUSH things/ideas on people, it will only push them away and annoy them.

2) While you don't HAVE to conform to the majority, it is wise to observe the majority.... and follow the lead. i.e. post serious things in serious forums, and bono drooling in pleba ;)

Absolutely!! :up: :up:

You know this forum well (and no one should know it better;) )

I have learned all these things myself along the blue crack highway.

3) Everyone has different views, ethics, morals, and priorities in life. While I agree that the crisis in Africa is worthy of all human attention... I also accept that others may or do not feel the same - this is true with MOST personal concerns/interests on one level or another. Trying to convince someone they should think as you do, well... simply is pointless. The best way to get someone to follow your lead is to be educated on a topic, and educate those that lack the information... but in a subtle way.

Joel

In the case of PLEBA, almost all of us are very educated about Africa and many of us belong to Bono's Angels, or help the cause in some way such as emails and phone calls. I have been doing this since 2001. No one is uneducated or not sharing the same feelings for the situation over there. The problem is, in the past, while these things have always been there, but they were separated from the 'drooling' over pics and U2 discussions. Someone would post an alert and say, girls, we need your help! We'd say, okay! and then get back to the rest of PLEBA.

But recently newer individuals have come into the forum who have changed this 'separation of church and state' by posting stuff that appears aimed at making people feel guilty for discussing Bono or U2 instead of Africa whenever the new pics and news was from a political event. This discussion we have now grew out of such a thread when the man who met Bono in Ottawa came into PLEBA to tell us how he'd gotten an autograph and Bono nodded his head about he album release, and he was reprimanded for not asking about Africa instead. This is not the first time something like this has occurred.

When we have a burst of Bono news, many times it's going to relate to his work for Africa, though the other subjects will always come up too. I don't see what's wrong with keeping the picture comments in PLEBA, the U2 and album updates in EYKIW and WTAHNN, and the political stuff in FYM. If anyone does not choose to be a part of any of these aspects of the discussion they should avoid the offensive forum. In the past, these things have always blended well and there was no problem. But things have changed, so maybe the guidelines must change too.

Though some will insist they have a right to say whatever whenever wherever, I believe Elvis's #1 and #2 up there should be held as an unwritten law by all of us for the sake of the peace and harmony of the forum.

Last edited:
Salome said:

1. post it in a place where most of the readers will be interested in discussing it
2. you must have actually posted it because you want a discussion instead of just feeling like its time to ruffle some feathers
and salome sums up like every rule here in just two sentences :up:

Salome said:

That falls under the basic rule of respect and etiquette which isn't unique to this board. What sets this apart from real life is that we can if we choose, halt people's speech. We shouldn't ever have to, which is my biggest whinge. But we can't force people to be respectful, so everyone just has to learn to deal with it however they need.

I read the two posted threads now and I agree: Bono pics/drooling = PLEBA, serious Africa/AIDS discussion = FYM.

Opinions are all welcome, it just needs to be discussed in a civil manner.

Last edited:
Also, whenever Bono goes out on a trip for his activism, there will always be those who will ask him U2 questions - I don't see anything wrong or inappropriate with that. (to most people, he is probably more Bono the U2 guy than Bono the activist - and besides, the new album and tour are shaping up. it's only natural U2 fans ask him about that - i'm sure he doesn't mind)

I think on a lot of these types of subjects, especially in FYM, there's an assumption that if no one or very few people have replied, it means those who didn't reply don't care. I know I personally don't reply to the 'hey, everyone, email/write/call your reps!' threads because I know exactly what would happen to my email or letter and the name of the person who would read it and write the reply. Up until a year ago, I would've been replying to myself (or calling myself if I called asking to speak to the person who handled the issue!), so to me, it's just wasted breath. It doesn't mean I think it's wrong; if other people want to do it, that's great, but by the same token, I am 100% sure that it would be a waste of time for me, and know there are better ways to channel my energies on these issues, and things I think are more effective than one person sending fifty letters to the same person. I'm a very concientious person, and all for spreading awareness, but sometimes I think that especially here, it becomes a case of preaching to the choir, so while no one should stop posting on these issues, they also shouldn't expect replies everytime.

This discussion we have now grew out of such a thread when the man who met Bono in Ottawa came into PLEBA to tell us how he'd gotten an autograph and Bono nodded his head about he album release, and he was reprimanded for not asking about Africa instead. This is not the first time something like this has occurred
actually that is not why I started the post at all but it turned into that .. which happens..I understand.. I have no problem with people doing that at all .. it's all about respecting people their right to their opinion .. and you know not getting all hung up on it.. you cant muzzle people even if you sometimes want to .
I think I was trying to say you know we just shouldnt be quick to judge people on hear and put label on them when we rightfully dont know who they are .. it's a forum
I'm not sure anyone here has ever meant to make anyone feel less or more then anyone else.. things get misterpreted on forums all the time it happens ..shrug it off and you go on..

I do feel like it's to bad if people feel like I ruined there PLEBA visits so in that I am happy to apologise .. as I have before .. But also instead of people adding to the heat in PLEBA why dont you just say move it over to FYM or instead judging them as a preachey type person.. If I get my back up on something I'm hard tomove and thats why I have posted my response to things people have said in these forums.. I dont make apologies for what I say but will for how it effects people

Katey said:
it's all about respecting people their right to their opinion ..

As I have learned myself, and as others have said, sometimes you have to weigh your "right to an opinion" with whether or not it's worth the results pushing it will cause, and in some cases it's best to keep it to yourself (I found this out from personal experience) If it's a situation where it will most likely annoy, offend, or invite volatile reactions from others, there is no need to press it, and if you do, you do so at your own risk and have no right to complain about the unfavorable outcome you get.

Again, Elvis said it best:

Originally posted by Elvis
1) If you PUSH things/ideas on people, it will only push them away and annoy them.

2) While you don't HAVE to conform to the majority, it is wise to observe the majority.... and follow the lead. i.e. post serious things in serious forums, and bono drooling in pleba

Originally posted by Katey
I think I was trying to say you know we just shouldnt be quick to judge people on hear and put label on them when we rightfully dont know who they are ..

Which is exactly what happens when people get accused of not caring about Africa or being insensitive to its plight just because they asked for an autograph instead of discussing politics, or chose to comment on a pic instead of lecturing on the issues.

Last edited:
some greater context is needed

im uncertain of, and indifferent to, the broader pleba issues which are represented in this thread. but the amorality of me asking bono about a new album is, frankly, preposterous. if someone else feels uneasy about such queries, for reasons which i dont understand, that is fine-but i think anyone in their right mind would chuckle at reserving yourself like that.

Last edited:
yep
Which is exactly what happens when people get accused of not caring about Africa or being insensitive to its plight just because they asked for an autograph instead of discussing politics, or chose to comment on a pic instead of lecturing on the issues.
I do agree to a point ..I just don't think anybody is accused of not carrying about Africa or not carng.. I think people think that but it might not be the case at least it's not the case that I believe ..but ya
that is fine-but i think anyone in their right mind would chuckle at reserving yourself like that.
and yep again

you do so at your own risk and have no right to complain about the unfavorable outcome you get.
I always no so that posting something I am prepared to take whatever people throw at me ..it's the fact that some take it to personally and much to heart which I sometimes overlook and I then feel bad for them I dont take anything here to heart I shrug it off and take opinions into consideration.. It's like if I took my work home with me I would never sleep .. I see horrible things happen to people and I see the people that do that to them .. if I held on to that I would be a mental basketcase .. at the end of the day I have to let it go..it might seem cold but it's what you have to do..
I'm getting off topic again..sorry

Last edited:
Woo...had a bit of trouble following this thread but after reading it 3 times I finally get it LOL

My opinion is that you can talk about the political things that Bono does or major issues in PLEBA to a limited extent. But it really should be reserved for FYM. I mean you do have your PLEBAns section where you could talk about that, again to a limited extent.

I don't see what the big deal is really...I mean if you don't see something you don't like, you simply scroll past it. :shrug:

Last edited:
Mullen-Girl said:
Woo...had a bit of trouble following this thread but after reading it 3 times I finally get it LOL

My opinion is that you can talk about the political things that Bono does or major issues in PLEBA to a limited extent. But it really should be reserved for FYM. I mean you do have your PLEBAns section where you could talk about that, again to a limited extent.

For years now, we have discussed Bono's causes in PLEBA without a problem. The updates and action alerts are posted and appreciated. Many of us belong to Bono's Angels.

In the pic threads, even the ones taken at events where Bono was speaking about his cause, there was still no trouble. The 'he looks hot' and the 'way to go, Bono, good work!' posts peacefully coexisted, and should be able to. Some people even said both! The problem only comes when the line is crossed and someone posts something that appears to be a negative reflection on another member or members for posting about looks, music, or anything not related to Africa, and leaving an impression they are better because they only want to talk about Africa (aka "holier than thou") Since that is now happening, maybe it is best that those who feel that way should avoid PLEBA as a place to discuss politics.

Last edited:
It's only a problem when people get defensive and make it a problem .. holier then thou. good fans bad fans these are all quick uninformed judgements based on people we dont even really know you.. and should be treated as such with a grain of salt .. but I know people that are posting here on this topic have gotten quite upset from time to time and all I say anything I mention has never been directed at or to anyone it's always been my opinion be it right or be it wrong.. But I am happy for people to tell me when I am wrong otherwise how do i know ..If im being a jerk I expect someone to tell me .. not be nice about it otherwise I'll go on being a jerk

talking about why people are going to see Bono is not poltiics by the way.. I havent seen a politically related thread started in PLEBA and if it is it should be moved.. by MODS as they often are.. it's right if you don't want to read something move on.. you dont have to read it.. I like readin the good with the bad but never mean to offend anyone or for them to take it to seriously maybe I miss judge how important PLEBA is to people in there lives and thats something I have recently gotten a better understanding for

Last edited:
Katey said:
It's only a problem when people get defensive and make it a problem ..

Which brings us back to the same old thing (deja vu :scratch: ) that you feel you have the right to say whatever you want and express your opinion and it must be respected, but you expect other people to just shut up and not say anything back. :sigh:

This is really something that could just go around in circles forever. :crazy:

Last edited:
I don't necessarily think that there is a problem. I started a thread in PLEBA, originally in November, called "Bono the Peacemaker", about Bono and his causes *and* sexy pics of him making peace signs. It's very PLEBA and not at all FYM, it's pics with no political controversy, just Bono and his good works. People of all political persuasions support Bono's work because it's not at all partisan. Not all politics is partisan, of course. But I digress. People who are passionate about Africa or whatever can also post sexy pix or whatever without compromising their feelings or work on AIDS in Africa or water or whatever they are interested in. Bono is a rock star, he's an activist, he's sexy, it's a composite, and however you want to take him, that's OK. Lately with all of the :censored: going on in the world I really appreciate Bono the humanitarian all the more, but that doesn't take away from him being a rock star and being sexy to millions of women.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom