I've got the blues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can I tell you my story of when i was 16?

Too bad, I'm gonna anyway. I was 14 when I moved from what I thought was a great place for me to...Iowa. My parents wouldn't let me go to the Public school so I ended up at a Christian School of course. The school however was not the problem. I actually got along best with all my teachers.

When I was 15/16, my new group of "friends" decided they had had enough of me. We decided to go play basketball like usual. I met up with them at the designated time. One of my "friends" had a car and pretty much as soon as I got there, it was time to go. So everyone piled into the car...everyone but me. I rode my bike across town to where they said they would be. They weren't there. So I waited a bit and one of them showed up and said..."we are at this guys house...across town. He actually left me on my bike, and I just rode home. Needless to say, I realized it wasn't worth it anymore. My legs were tired...;)

The thing was, it left me with nothing. No friends in a still fairly new town. And I didn't have good grades...so I was absolutely depressed. I wanted to do nothing.

Your situation is way different I know. But just understand this. It gets better every year after 16 years old. It's a good thing that your parents will listen to you. Keep talking to them. Maybe you'll be able to figure out ways to get you what you might need...more.

And hey, I do like beagles a lot. I'd love to help you out if need be. :wink:

But hang in there ok? I look back on the, as I call them "dark ages in Iowa", and I can really see how they shaped me.

I hope something in this helps...if not. Enjoy the story!!!

LemonMelon, what I'm about to say will mean little to nothing, but, I'll say it anyway.

First of all, you've gotten some sound advice here already, namely the idea of community college. I think that would serve as a great bridge between where you're at now and the beginning of your new life once college commences full-time.

Also, some of the people that have posted in here I hold in high regard, which hopefully means that these great people think you're worth the effort of trying to help/advise you. If one can be judged by the company they keep, even if that company be digital company, then you're to be judged well.

That sort of thing says a lot about you. It says that you're well liked, it says that you're mature beyond your years, it says that you've managed to convey what you're all about via text, it says that you're going to be ok.

That's my point, simple as it may be. You're going to be ok. You're a good kid. You're a smart kid. You could so easily spew venom about your parents, but instead you see the big picture, and are able to assess blame but also are able to dole out credit to what is probably a tough overall situation for all 3 of you....so you're seeing the big picture. So, today or yesterday or tomorrow life sucks. It might suck for another year, who knows. It's a relative "life sucks" because you know damn well you have it good overall, but everything is relative, right, and so regardless of how much better off you might be than many others....this is your reality, and it's causing you grief, and it's ok to feel that way, and it's ok to vent it out......but, for you, for someone like you, it'll end. It'll stop. It'll reverse engines. It'll get better. Then it'll get good. Then you'll look back and remember the bad stuff, but will find the good that shot right through those bad days, and you'll be so very much the better for it all. Good things happen to good people, they say, and I find it to be mostly true....and you're a good person. You'll be fine, and then some, I think.

:drool: Wow, awesome reading there.

Philk, I appreciate the story. I actually have had similar experiences...especially with flaky friends. It hurts, but I have some good ones now...ones that care about me, though I have to keep in mind that they are still youthful and immature and bound to make horrible mistakes, just like me. I'm pretty forgiving like that. The bounce-back factor is still in me. And I like that.

NSW, that was a really damn good post you wrote. It means a lot. And it should. You know what you're talking about, I think, so I'll accept what you say gratefully. :)

And yes, beagles do rock. They have the cutest bark. :cute: Now that he's getting a bit older, I get to start training him for real now...I don't have to put up with the puppy crap anymore. :evil:

Sorry you've got the blues; for the record I've always found you to be pretty awesome.

I can totally identify on the dog thing... sad story but, my mom and i got this shiba inu pup, he was so adorable but boy was he a lot of work. I don't think either of us were prepared for how much sleep we'd have to lose taking care of a dog, and i too was delegated the task of caring for him during the day while mom worked, so I know how you feel about being stuck at home. It sucked a lot, especially since I was an hour away from the city I went to high school in, so I had no one to hang out with. the sad part is, we took him to the humane society and they put him down, and it still doesn't sit right with me anytime I think about it. He kept throwing these tantrums where he'd constantly bite us and get all wild-eyed and aggressive and flail about, and it seemed no corrective behavior worked...I thought maybe it was just puppy behavior mixed with his disobedient breed but the people at the shelter said even for a shiba that behavior wasn't normal for his age. I dunno. it sucked. i feel like i was responsible. but anyway, yeah, I know a puppy can be a lot of work.

I don't really know what it's like to be home schooled, but I agree that maybe community college would be a good idea, a good way to meet people... high school drove me nuts, but I had a lot of fun too. Lots of highs and lows. I think it's just part of being a teenager, regardless of where you live or how you're educated.

good luck with everything, hope you feel better.

LemonMelon said:

And yes, beagles do rock. They have the cutest bark. :cute: Now that he's getting a bit older, I get to start training him for real now...I don't have to put up with the puppy crap anymore. :evil:

Puppy crap - oh, how I don't miss that part of it at all! Everytime I look at puppy pictures of her, I tend to forget all the "fun" looking after her was. She's four now and the best dog. My mom just got another beagle that's two years old, so no housetraining!

As much as I love them, I like just visiting. ;)

First off, :hug:

Now, let's see if I can get all of this out correctly, I have a lot floating in my head about all the posts :lol:

I just graduated from high school in June, and I'm 17. I can definitely speak towards going to community college or even a smaller university for your junior or senior year. I did it this year because the public high school was driving me nuts, and it wasn't challenging enough. I did very well there, and am going to a great state school in the fall.

I noticed that you mentioned that you have lots of stomach problems :hug: I can relate, I've had Crohn's disease for over a year now. My GI has mentioned that I may have IBS on top of it all, but we haven't really pursued that area too much. Anyway, it really doesn't help to be a teen and dealing with that either. In fact, it sucks, as I'm sure you know. That's another reason that I went to a small university this past year, it was easier to get all of my appointments and treatments done when I had a day off during the week. I suppose you don't really have that issue so much since you're homeschooled, but it did help. I also found the university to be much less stressful that my high school as well.

I've gone through my fair share of shitty days, weeks, months, and they do go away. And, they come back too. But, I can tell from your posts that you're very smart, and you'll get through these times too. Feel free to PM or email me anytime. :hug:

Last edited:
AtomicBono - Glad you understand my plight. :wink: It's truly frustrating to live your life that way with a dog, but you do sometimes have to...Sorry you had to put the little guy to sleep. That's awful.
down.gif

LarryMullen's_POPAngel - Haha...so true. The puppy days are always the most difficult, yet you can so easily remember them as fun. That's love. :)

onebloodonelife - So, tally up another vote for community college. :slant: I suppose this is something I should definitely start working on sooner than later.

I'm glad someone here can relate to my stomach troubles. I've done a lot of reading on IBS, and there really isn't much to see. It's just a diagnosable version of what used to be called a "nervous stomach"; up to 20% of all Americans have it, it's unpredictable, worrying, but ultimately it causes no damage to your body, and it certainly isn't fatal. For a few years, I didn't have it, and for the last couple I have had it. Stomach problems seem to be genetic on my dad's side. My dad had benign stomach polyps as a child...which caused him great pain, and my grandfather had ulcers...he lived on gelusil and pepto-bismol. I guess I got off easy. I don't know much about Crohn's disease, but I wish you the best of luck with that. I understand how you feel. :(

I'll echo all the other people here and say how eloquent (and literate, for that matter), you are.

The community college idea sounds good. To be honest, I'd almost take my chances at the public high school, because I think you could really benefit by spending more time with people your own age. You'd quickly realize that most of them are feeling a lot of the same things you are (because this feeling of being down isn't unique to home schooled students). You guys are at a tough age in a lot of ways, because you're not really adults yet, but you're adult enough that you can be largely independent.

High school was many moons ago for me, but I'm in law school now and the one thing which has really kept me sane this past year is that I specifically chose a school in a college town where I knew I'd be a part of a tight knit community. Everyone had the same fears going in, most of us are ass-deep in debt and really understand the financial struggles we're facing, and all the stresses associated with finding a job after graduation are shared. I don't think I would have coped well had I stayed living where I was, with all my old friends and family who are nice and supportive enough, but don't really understand what I'm going through.

So yeah, I think that by reconnecting with other people who in your or similar shoes might really give you a good support system.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I'm going into 11th grade, not 12th...I had a late birthday, so I'll be 18 when I graduate. Does that matter? What's the earliest you can start taking college classes? :confused:

LemonMelon said:

onebloodonelife - So, tally up another vote for community college. :slant: I suppose this is something I should definitely start working on sooner than later.

I'm glad someone here can relate to my stomach troubles. I've done a lot of reading on IBS, and there really isn't much to see. It's just a diagnosable version of what used to be called a "nervous stomach"; up to 20% of all Americans have it, it's unpredictable, worrying, but ultimately it causes no damage to your body, and it certainly isn't fatal. For a few years, I didn't have it, and for the last couple I have had it. Stomach problems seem to be genetic on my dad's side. My dad had benign stomach polyps as a child...which caused him great pain, and my grandfather had ulcers...he lived on gelusil and pepto-bismol. I guess I got off easy. I don't know much about Crohn's disease, but I wish you the best of luck with that. I understand how you feel. :(

I definitely know the unpredictable part. I'll have great days, then can't leave the house for a day, it goes back and forth. Basically, with Crohn's disease, my immune system attacks my own intestines for whatever reason, so I do have damage already done and scar tissue in my small intestine. It's also genetic for me. My grandma (dad's side) has Crohn's, her sister died of colon cancer, and my second cousin has ulcerative colitis, which is related to Crohn's disease, but it's contained to the colon. Thanks for the luck :hug: I get along pretty well for the most part, and I'm a lot better off than I was a year ago. I just get frustrated when medications don't work or stop working, and that's happened so much for me by now. Good luck to you too :)

LemonMelon said:
BTW, I forgot to mention that I'm going into 11th grade, not 12th...I had a late birthday, so I'll be 18 when I graduate. Does that matter? What's the earliest you can start taking college classes? :confused:

:hmm: In Minnesota, we can choose to take college classes for our junior and senior years. There's a program that pays for tuition and books as well. But, it may be different where you live. If you call up a community college, they'll be able to let you know. If you haven't taken an ACT or SAT, you might have to do that too, but it all depends on the college. It's truly a great idea. I earned 32 credits taking college classes this past year, and all of them are transferring.

Well there is not much else I can say here, everything has been pretty much said. Just hang in there LemonMelon. As a mother of two, reading your story is pulling on my heart strings. Most definitely keep the lines of communication open with your parents, let them know how you feel and what's going on. :hug:

LemonMelon said:

And yes, beagles do rock. They have the cutest bark. :cute:
:yes:
We have a 6 year old beagle. Of course she is the biggest couch potato I have ever seen. She's very quite for a beagle though, hardly barks at all. Watch out for the trash can though, ours kept getting into it until I found a trash can she can't open with her nose.

Firstable, yes, Beagles do rock! I can't get enough of those dogs (even when they're totaly hyperactive during the exams and I get a bad grade because of them :wink: )

On topic... I'm 20 now and I wasn't that happy when I was about 14 or 15. My story is not like yours but I can tell you that the period before I was 16 was the worst for me... Things started to get better when I went to the 10th grade. Before that I was always very very shy, I wasn't even invited to parties because few people noticed that I was there... Then I changed. I decided I had to change if I wanted to have a normal teenager life. So when I went to 10th grade, my class changed wich meant new people around me, a new begining... And I can tell you that things started to be very different. I made good friends, I still keep them thhough I'm not with them so much now, I had fun, I went to parties, to the movies, to concerts...
Like you, I always had a good relationship with my parents, and that always helps (though sometimes a teenager can't see that).

So as many people said... Hang in there;) it will get better...

I don't know exactly what to say in response, but thank you all for sharing your stories and opening up. I appreciate that a great deal. :yes:

The beagle has been behaving very well the last couple of days. He woke me up this morning with doggie kisses. :love:

LemonMelon said:
I don't know exactly what to say in response, but thank you all for sharing your stories and opening up. I appreciate that a great deal. :yes:

The beagle has been behaving very well the last couple of days. He woke me up this morning with doggie kisses. :love:

You're wellcome;)

And the Beagle aw :cute: it's amazing how animals can make us feel so special with such simple things...

LemonMelon, despite many of us are actually not in a situation like yourself, I think a lot of 16-year-olds (and people who have been 16 at one point :wink: ) can relate to some/a lot of the feelings you're going through. I'm 19 now, but when I was 16 I had many of the feelings/emotions you're having right now. I can't really attribute much more advice because a lot of people in this thread have said so many wise things already. I just know how you are feeling, for the biggest part... You do seem wiser and more mature than many other 16-year-olds, and that can be very hard sometimes. I can just say that things will get better, and eventually when you go to college and really start 'creating a life of your own', you will experience more freedom and start feeling way better than you are doing now :hug:

Keep doing what you do and just be yourself. Everything will be okay in the end, trust me. You're a smart and nice person, you will get wherever you want be. Have faith in yourself and your future :)

Back
Top Bottom