I've come to the realization that....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
I don't like studying history. It's all relative, and I'm tired of all the methods and schools of thought that mean absolutely nothing. Microhistory, mentalite, Annales, historical anthropology, biography/Thomas Carlyle, determinism, illocution, locution, counterfactualism, metanarratives, etc., etc....:banghead::crack: It's fine to be aware of what other people think, but I've come to the conclusion that all methods and theories and are valid/invalid, and while it might be fun to sit around and discuss them, it's a completely pointless pursuit. It's just individual's opinions on other individual's perspectives and an attempt to impose linearity on history. The truth isn't out there.

Does anyone want to finish my degree for me? :crack:

I also decided Social Anthropology is aload of garbage you talk about some ppl's opinions then other peoples opinions then you dont get very little time to have your own opinion

Thank goodness Im dropping it next year

I'd love of finish it for you. I have always wanted to be one of those history professors who lectures for hours and people had to listen;)

History has always been my favorite subject. It's so interesting and intriguing more than any movie or drama could ever be. I never stop being fascinated by it. It does matter even though it's in the past, because everything that the world has become is a result of it.

However some of those things you listed do sound like they could be very dull after awhile, but I guess it's all important in some way.

i dislike the study of history.

obviously its neccessary to educate but for me personally, it is too regressive.

EVERYTHING gets tiring and pointless after a while meg. Every subject eventually will get exhausting...do I care why they removed the term 'nerosis' from the DSM in 1980? NO! Why should I? I wasn't even born yet! it has no relevance today, but yet...

they make me study it anyway.

*grumbles and goes back to learning about the mesentaries that anchor the organs in the dogfish*

hang in there....

I'm too busy finishing my degree... but thanks for the offer :wink:

and yes, historiography is not fun by any means... but don't forget that every subject (sciences, language and lit, sociology, history, etc) is completely pointless in one way or another.
Is the truth ever out there? nah...

just have fun with it

lets all throw our hands up and give in to po-mo...you know, weird for weirds sake.

I'm considering converting.

and yes, historiography is not fun by any means... but don't forget that every subject (sciences, language and lit, sociology, history, etc) is completely pointless in one way or another.

True, but they're more interesting. ;) I like the other aspects of the degree, but historiography is a waste of time for me because I don't agree with 99% of the theories and have no desire to be an academic. I also hate all the elitism....if I hear "______ isn't valid/useful to historical study. Books employing it are all over the shelves at Waterstones" one more time, I will scream. It's the academic equivalent of "U2 suck because everyone likes them." Popularity or the avoidance of dry, technical writing doesn't necessarily make something bad.

Back
Top Bottom