I've been offered a promotion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ylimeU2

Rock n' Roll Doggie
...which I guess is good, but I was going to quit as soon as I found a new job.

I don't know what to do about this. The promotion would include a pretty good sized raise (mainly because I would switch from part to full time) and have benefits (which I desperatly need). Also, I'm going to school part-time and I'm trying to save money so I can attend full time. I think I could handle it with my current class load, but I really don't know if I want to stay there. It's really tempting to say yes, because the extra money and benefits would be nice.

I have until the end of September to think about it.

Congrats on the promotion offer.

If you have til the end of September to think about it - don't rush it. Sometimes the added money and benefits can be enough of a motivator to make the job worthwhile. Having said that don't let it get in the way of finishing your education (sorry for the motherly lecture).

TheBrazilianFly said:
Why don't you want to stay there?

Well, I work in a coffee shop. Currently, I am a part time assistant manager. The job offer is for general manager. There are a couple of reasons I don't like the job. The hours are completly irregular. One week, I can be close to full time, and the next week I work one five hour shift. Since I'm paid an hourly wage right now, my "income" is all over the place.

I also suffer from bad allergies. Most of the year, it doesn't make much difference, but in the summer, I feel physically horrible when I get home. (If I had benefits, I could get my allergy meds, which should help with that).

Also, the area I live around is pretty affluent. There are a lot of big name companies around. And I know I shouldn't let the customers get to me, but many of them have a tendancy to "put you in your place". I'm just a service worker. Forget the fact that I graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA, and so far have maintained a 4.0 in college. And I work to put myself through school. I'm an idiot in a lot of people's eyes. In other words, my job makes me feel horrible about myself.

fah said:
Congrats on the promotion offer.

If you have til the end of September to think about it - don't rush it. Sometimes the added money and benefits can be enough of a motivator to make the job worthwhile. Having said that don't let it get in the way of finishing your education (sorry for the motherly lecture).

Thanks, beli. Sometimes I need a good motherly lecture.

ylimeU2 said:
Also, the area I live around is pretty affluent. There are a lot of big name companies around. And I know I shouldn't let the customers get to me, but many of them have a tendancy to "put you in your place". I'm just a service worker. Forget the fact that I graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA, and so far have maintained a 4.0 in college. And I work to put myself through school. I'm an idiot in a lot of people's eyes. In other words, my job makes me feel horrible about myself.
Never let them get you down. You know you're not stupid and you have goals. You wouldn't have been offered a great promotion if you were really a moron. And you give these people their caffeine rush so they can get through the day...where are they without you, really? :wink:

Take your time and think about it. Will there be added stress? Will that effect your grades?

Good luck!

ylimeU2 said:

:no: But you are getting a 4.0 while working your way through school! Who wouldn't admire that? The snobs you have to wait on are the idiots, not you.

As for advice, I would say take your time. By the end of the September you may have already found another job you like better anyway (hopefully one that pays benefits). And if that doesn't happen and you decide to accept the promotion where you are at now, that doesn't mean you couldn't keep looking for another place to work.

I would say since you have some time to decide look at all options and weigh the positive and negatives. You can always keep your options open elsewhere even if you did accept the promotion.

Don't let the affluent people get you down and feeling like what you are doing isnt worthwhile. Most of these people probably have no idea what your background is like and just jump to conclusions. Alot of people don't even give thought to the fact that it takes as many skills and as much knowledge to work in a service job as any other job.

Back
Top Bottom