It's 2002 and I'm just discovering Nirvana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Yep.

Sitting here listening to the used copy of Nirvana Unplugged that my friend told me I should get last time we were shopping at Cheapos. And I like it. A lot.

I have a good excuse (the one I always use)...I wasn't aware of much of the outside world whilst in Indonesia, especially when it came to music, but I do feel a bit embarrassed. I mean...Nirvana...aren't they supposed to be like the voice of my generation or something?

:eek:

Sula! Well, at least you have a good excuse! I think Unplugged has the best version I've ever heard of "About a Girl". In the last song("Where did you sleep last night"-or whatever it's called) at the end, when he pauses and then sighs, then finishes the last line...it's haunting.

I agree, I think that was their best "album"

nothing compares to Smells Like Teen Spirit though. I was in high school at the time and it was a blast to slam dance to...

:shocked:

Oh wow just getting into them now????

I am such a huge Nirvana fan(Yes, I cried nonstop when Cobain died, and I believe it was not suicide). I guess that's why it is so hard for me to believe that not everyone likes them, kinda like U2.

Anyhoo better late than never!!!!

To tell you the truth, I don't know, but according to coroners reports, he had enough heroin in his system to either kill him or put him in a coma. The gun he "used" was a rifle that would have required him to use his toe to pull the trigger. It just seems odd that will all that crap in his system that he would be physically able to do shoot himself. I guess in my mind there were too many unanswered questions in his death.

Some people believe Courtney either did it, or had a hand in it (i.e. ordering a "hit").

Yeah, I heard that also, that was why I asked.

I never understood how he could use a shotgun to do it. I read that they could not tell his identity at first because of the extensive damage to his head.

Very bad stuff.

He was very talented...

Yeah, when my friend and I were driving back from the store, he stuck the CD in and played the last track for me and talked about how eerie it was, all things considered. Am I correct in assuming that that was the last song he ever performed publicly?

"My girl, my girl, don't lie to me...tell me where did you sleep last night..." The way he is almost screaming at the end....wow.

*shivers*

In any case, it's my first Nirvana CD and I must say that I quite like it.

Have any of you read the Kurt Cobain biography by Charles Cross? It's the new one that just came out this past winter...I don't have it with me right now, can't remember the title. Anyways, it really changed my perception of Kurt, and not in a good way. I was such a die hard Nirvana fan...well as die hard as a 14 year old could be that didn't have money or a CD player...The author is the past editor of a music newspaper here in Seattle, and he knew Nirvana personally. He was given a bunch of info for this biography from the family. I learned a lot about Kurt, but actually was physicaly and emotionally depressed while reading the book. I thought it was just me, but a coworker borrowed it and said the same thing happened to her. I guess it's like when you read a romance novel, you get all happy and giddy, when you read Kurt Cobain's biography, you get depressed...It was a really great book, but I'll probably never read it again.
Extremely descriptive of his last day...the suicide theory rather than the murder theory...
I still remember that day like it was yesterday...8 years later...

Mrs. C I haven't read that yet, but yes, although he had an amazing talent, he was also very disturbed. He had a hard time dealing with the sudden fame. He would often in concert change the lyrics to Smells like Teen Spirit so that way the "fairweather fans" couldn't sing along. He was very bothered and depressed by the fact that most of his "fans" only knew that song, when they would do songs off of Bleach most people were like wtf??? I just think it is a shame that we weren't able to see his talent progress.

I have these: Why I Love Nirvana

OP21.JPG

10055950.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

bono-vox said:
I have these: Why I Love Nirvana

OP21.JPG

I :heart: that picture!!

I miss Kurt! :( I've also read all those theories about his dead..... I think he was killed! But you never know!!

Sula, wow! LOL

I wish Kurt was still alive! :sad:

Mrs.Clayton said:
Have any of you read the Kurt Cobain biography by Charles Cross? It's the new one that just came out this past winter...I don't have it with me right now, can't remember the title. Anyways, it really changed my perception of Kurt, and not in a good way. I was such a die hard Nirvana fan...well as die hard as a 14 year old could be that didn't have money or a CD player...The author is the past editor of a music newspaper here in Seattle, and he knew Nirvana personally. He was given a bunch of info for this biography from the family. I learned a lot about Kurt, but actually was physicaly and emotionally depressed while reading the book. I thought it was just me, but a coworker borrowed it and said the same thing happened to her. I guess it's like when you read a romance novel, you get all happy and giddy, when you read Kurt Cobain's biography, you get depressed...It was a really great book, but I'll probably never read it again.
Extremely descriptive of his last day...the suicide theory rather than the murder theory...
I still remember that day like it was yesterday...8 years later...

do you recommend that book ?

It's 2002 and i'm not even remotely into Nirvana. Probably the only band that i never understood what all the fuss was about (my brother has a few albums, but yuck - the sound was too harsh for my liking)

U2girl said:
It's 2002 and i'm not even remotely into Nirvana. Probably the only band that i never understood what all the fuss was about (my brother has a few albums, but yuck - the sound was too harsh for my liking)

..I would highly recommend Nirvana Unplugged In New York then Maja, once you get underneath the distortion boxes and feedback there are some beautiful melodies and harmonies which are no better evident than on this live show..I've known so many people put off by the abrasive nature of Nevermind and especially In Utero/Incesticide but really took to the unplugged recording..certaintly worth a listen :)

..first thing that has always come to mind over the years with Nirvana is is how underrated In Utero is..really is the dark masterpeice of their collection even if it has to step aside for its predecessor on many an occasion

Last edited:
Don't be embarrassed, Sula. It's not like you just discovered the Beatles. :wink: I guess since I'm older I never really got into them that much. I never had anything against them, but they didn't do much for me. Maybe this unplugged CD would be okay though.

As far as Kurt's death goes, maybe if he would have stayed off the herion he would still be alive. Too many people willing to sacrifice their lives for drugs. Very sad indeed.

Lemon Meringue said:
As far as Kurt's death goes, maybe if he would have stayed off the herion he would still be alive. Too many people willing to sacrifice their lives for drugs. Very sad indeed.

yes, i know what you mean. i get so sick of hearing all these rock stars dying from drugs, or dying anyway but they were heavy drug users.

however, in kurt's defense (before i say this, i should say i do NOT advocate the use of drugs), it seemed he had a horrible stomach problem for which there is legally no cure. my husband has this exact same thing. it causes intense stomach pains, nausea, etc. the only thing to alleviate the pain is opiates which are, of course, illegal. while i'm sure the heroin helped this in the beginning, i can also pretty much guarantee that they did NOT help in the long run and only caused him more pain.

Wow KR, that's tough. Best wishes to your hubby. Any chronic problems like that are terrible. My mom has a condition called Fibromyalgia with causes chronic pain and , so far, has not found any help for it. I wish there was something I could do for her, but there really isn't.

Lemon Meringue said:
Wow KR, that's tough. Best wishes to your hubby. Any chronic problems like that are terrible. My mom has a condition called Fibromyalgia with causes chronic pain and , so far, has not found any help for it. I wish there was something I could do for her, but there really isn't.

thanks! i feel the same way with my husband. it really sucks to see a loved one in pain and you can't do anything about it. although, it's gotten a lot better since he came down here (he moved down here to be with me, lol) so maybe things are looking up for him. :) i hope the same goes for your mother. :)

I haven't gotten into Nirvana yet, unfortunately. I haven't really heard any songs. But if I did get into them, I'm afraid I'd be sad because Kurt is dead..it's like if Bono was dead or something :no:

Back
Top Bottom