It was 6 years ago today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiny dancer

Blue Crack Distributor
My dad passed away Febraury 6th in 1999. I miss him so very much. I never thought as myself a very strong person, but in these last 6 years I have had to deal with so much. My dad was a strog person and maybe with his passing( as well as my mothers) he has passed that on to me. I was blessed to have such a wonderful father, and now I always remember the good memories that I have of him.

:hug: I am sorry about the loss of your parents. Your father's gift of passing on his strength is truly a blessing. I hope things are getting easier for you.

Its inevitable that we all have to face this some day..for some, without close or sincere parent relationships, it could be just another day,,, for the rest of us, it will be a tragic loss. Sorry for yours.

It just dawned on me that the 11th anniversary of my dad's death is the 11th (his funeral was on Valentine's Day and just two days before my birthday). Our relationship was always a bit tense (OK, sometimes more than just a bit tense), but I realized how much I missed him after he died (we had more or less made our peace before his death, so that was good).

I'm glad your relationship with your father was good, Tiny Dancer, and that you gained so much strength from him.

indra said:
Our relationship was always a bit tense (OK, sometimes more than just a bit tense), but I realized how much I missed him after he died (we had more or less made our peace before his death, so that was good).

Same here. I was able to "make some things right" the last few years of his life, but I don't think I realized the full impact of what my dad meant to me until after he had passed. It's only been a couple of years here.

Every time I hear "Kite" (and now SYCMIOYO) it brings up so many emotions.... good ones though.

Oh, Tiny Dancer...I'm coming on this thread a few days late...but it's never to late to give you one of these: :hug: Your expression of what you believe he left behind for you really touched my heart. Another hug for one of my favorite posters...:hug:

Monkey, I can relate about Kite....my mother has told me she wants that song played when she dies, everytime I hear it now I get a lump in my throat but then I hear this and am somehow comforted, "I know this is not goodbye"....

:heart:

starsgoblue said:

Monkey, I can relate about Kite....my mother has told me she wants that song played when she dies, everytime I hear it now I get a lump in my throat but then I hear this and am somehow comforted, "I know this is not goodbye"....

:heart:

The one line in particular in Kite where Bono kinda screams out ... "I'm a maaaaaaaaaaaaan, I'm not a child." That's what gets me. Being a 30-something year old dude with 2 little ones of my own -- well, after dad passed... it's like my final step into manhood. I'm the man of the family now, and honestly I'm the next one in line to go in a sense. There's no going back from here, and it's really all about having to confront my own mortality.

*:hug:s to all those of you in this thread who've lost loved ones* May they all rest in peace.

Since it's early in the morning on the 12th, I can therefore say that it's officially been ten years since my grandmother (my mom's mother) passed away. She was the grandparent that I was the closest to-my dad's father died when my dad was a kid, so I never knew him, and my dad's mother and my mom's father both died when I was really little, so I don't remember much about them. I have so many good memories of hanging out at my grandma's house and going out shopping with her and everything. It was a really hard time when she died, 'cause I was in fourth grade when it happened, and that year was hellish enough for me as it was-this didn't help matters, losing someone so close to me.

I still miss her-I wish she were here to see how I've turned out and everything. And it's interesting that you guys are mentioning "Kite", 'cause that song's been hitting home for me lately, too, namely the chorus, 'cause that part's made me think of my grandma.

Yeah. Times like this are indeed hard, no doubt about that. :hug:s to everyone who's going through this.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom