It really bothers me when..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirty Olde Town

The Fly
People tell me how great my life is. Okay, let's see:

1) I have no job.

2) The man I was supposed to marry has suddenly - and without so much as a peep - disappeared off the face of the earth.

3) I have to live with my mom. Again. Because I can't support myself.

4) Anything and everything I had, bar four pairs of pants and three shirts, disappeared with this man. And I can't replace anything. Because I have no job.

5) I feel empty and useless, because I was supposed to be this big success.

6) I've failed at everything that I was supposed to be successful at.

So - you tell me what I'm supposed to be so excited about?

By the way, the old saws about having all my limbs and senses (right. You want my naked mole rat eyesight? Might be easier to be blind.) simply make no sense here. I don't believe I should be happy I'm doing better than some starving person in Africa. It doesn't make me feel any better to be told that 'someone else is suffering worse!' because I don't see any reason to be smug about other people's lives being suckier than mine. Mine's spretty sucky as it is, thankyouverymuch. I'm at the bottom of a very dark tunnel. Why is there no light?

I think people will tell you that because they are trying to say 'embrace life' even with the problems you face and the many times you hit rockbottom and manage to pick yourself up.

I realise not everyone can do this thou, everyone has different inner strengths.

and I dont believe in those sayins about 'someone else is suffering worse', because while its seen as a reality-check, that really is NOT gonna solve self-problems on the dot, is it? Thats were you assess the problem and see what you can do.

Im just sayin this for the sake of this thread bein started.

6) I've failed at everything that I was supposed to be successful at.

This is a misjudgement. It's understandable that you see everything negative because of all the crap that has happened to you. But I think it's important to concentrate on positive stuff, otherwise you'll get into this downward spiral and never get out again. Everyone goes through difficult times in their lives, but you will get over it, sooner or later, and there will be better days. Just learn to be more positive about things, maybe see a councelor or some professional who can help you. If you believe in yourself, things will get better soon. Just be constructive and try to work out a plan for your life. The most important thing is to get a job and earn your own money, then other stuff will be easier to handle.

I think sometimes people say stuff like because they do not want to be brought down. They can distance themselves. They say it more for themselves than for you. They cannot be bothered.

And sometimes people say it because they have no answers why or they cannot put your world back together for you although they truly would do so if they could. They feel helpless.

And some don't understand or only understand a little bit because their world has not been rocked like that.

D O T.....you are not alone in your situation. I am more or less the same. Difference is...i have medical reasons for not being able to work. All my adult life has been a write off pretty much and being honest, there is no sign of it improving in the near future. Adn I am fast approaching 40.
Its not easy, but you just have to accept you are how you are. Doesnt make you a bad person. When I feel low...i listen to Walk On, and it gives me hope.

Gman - for some reason, I like In A Little While. Dunno why, but there's something about that particular song. I think it's the one song of U2's that I can remember start to finish without a hitch.

Hi I'm new here and I couldn't help but respond when I saw this thread.

As long as you're on a U2 Forum, D O T, you are not alone !!.

There are thousands of like minded people on here who you can talk to and connect with.

There are some people very close to me who suffer through some form of depression at various times and after witnessing incidents on a first hand basis, I would recommend speaking to a professional Counselor.

It really does help just speaking to someone about your issues.

Since a few people mentioned songs that help, I would recommend "Beautiful Day" after all, that song is about someone who has lost everything but there is a Beautiful Day in the end.

"What you don't have you don't need it now"

Back
Top Bottom