is it ever worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
well I guess this really isn't a confession, but I know somebody who lives in DC, who I just found out was attacked on friday night. the thing is, she was unharmed and because she made so much noise and put up a resistance, the attacker gave up and fled, and the people in the area heard the noises from their apartments and they got the guy's license plate and called the police who quickly nabbed the guy

it was a very frightening situation, she was walking home by herself and though her actual neighborhood isn't a bad one for crime or anything, it's not far from an area of the city that is a trouble spot. what is even more horrifying is that the attacker had a gun. he demanded her wallet and she refused, and began to make a lot of noise. I know things turned out ok, but I think she was extremely lucky, I don't think anything in her purse was worth risking her life over. but maybe if she had been quiet and obeyed, things would have turned out horribly, I don't know? I know she's a very strong-willed, somewhat stubborn-minded girl, so it doesn't surrpise me how she reacted. is that what you would do, ladies, if God forbid you were faced with that situation? how about it guys? would you want take the chance that the guy with a gun is a crack-head out of his mind or a gang banger who would shoot you in the blink of an eye? i've always thought that if that sort of thing happened, i would glady trade my wallet for my life, but some people say that if the guy intends to shoot you, it doesn't matter how you respond, but I disagree, I think most people know the difference between armed-robbery and murder, and don't want to take it that far unless provoked into a response or left with almost no choice/way out.

anyway, thank God she's ok, I realize this is probably going to change her perception of city life enormously, I hope she's not traumatized, but how does one just shrug that off?

No I would never start up a fight Id just hand my stuff over and run!!!

My sister had her mobile stolen on the bus this week by a girl who just lifted it out of her pocket my sister rang her phone the girl answered and told us we could meet her and if we gave her ?20 we could have it back- that just wasnt gonna happen incase she knew some sort of ppl from some terrorist group who would be willing to shoot ppl for nothing- some ppl in Belfast are low lives & do this everyday :|

the next day we see the girl & she says to my sister "I stole your phone yesterday on the bus" my sister said it wasnt her and the girl stood in the street boasting about it- the girl was about a year or 2 younger than me about 16 I think and she was drunk and she really looked like she was taking drugs and i was terrified of her

I cant believe ppl these days its sickening :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

i'm glad that your friend is ok wanderer. that is horrible.

i don't know what i would do in that sort of situation. i'm terrified of being mugged. i think i would just give the guy my stuff and let him run away. my sister was just mugged a couple of months ago and that's what she did. it seems like most of the time they just want the cash and have no intention of ever hurting someone, but you never know. it's probably not worth taking the chance.

stories like this make me sad.

blah

It's a good thing other people heard it and he had to get lost and she didn't get hurt.

I don't know what i'd do. I'd probably totally freeze or something and give him the wallet - i'd probably be too scared to defend myself if the robber got violent or anything. :(

Though i do think that (within reasonable limits) people should stand up for themselves (try to get help some way, too) if something like that happens - unless the criminal is armed and threatens you...

If it was simply a matter of handing over my purse or even my car, I wouldn't put up a fight...I have 2 kids to live for and I wouldn't risk my life over money. If someone is crazy enough to shoot me even after I've handed over my purse or my car, I don't thinking fighting with him beforehand would be of much use.

But, if someone was trying to force me into a vehicle, even with a gun, I would fight like hell because statistics show that if the criminal is able to get you into a vehicle or somehow remove you from the location he found you in, death or great bodily harm is almost certain. I would rather be shot in public defending myself than raped and killed in some psycho's car, dumped where I might never be found.

Wow, I wish I was like your friend. Truth is, I'd probably hand over my cash. Like Bono's American Wife said, if he wanted to take me elsewhere, I'd probably resist because then it wouldn't be about my money anymore.

Stay safe, guys and girls alike. :(

foray

for something so insignificant as a purse and money, i'd hand it over just to stay alive. i do have a child to live for. but if he wanted to do more than take my purse...then thats gonna be a whole different story.

Thank Christ she is ok. I hope it doesn't affect her too badly from now on.

I made a thread in here a few weeks ago about an old friend of mine who was murdered. He was mugged and was not the type to hand over anything. At the time, we were pissed off at the absolute unfairness of the whole thing because we all knew he was not the type to just let something go-we thought it was his damn stubbornness that had him killed. It turns out the situation was suspicious. His body still hasn't been relased so we expect it was someone he knows, or had some relation to drugs as he was a casual user. Thing is though, it happens. Sometimes people are killed for their wallet. It only depends on who is your attacker. Your petty crim is not likely to want blood, but someone doped to the eyeballs on some substance you can never tell, and you never know at the time what kind of mugger they are. It is never worth it.

i think she's definitely in the minority.
i would give them what they wanted if they were after material things. wouldn't even think about it.
i always wonder though if i'd be so quick to give over if it were something special somoene had given me that had meant a lot sentimentally.
would u women whom have been married for a long time hand over your engagement and wedding rings quickly?

im glad your friend is ok craig, and id show her this thread. most people wouldn't put up that kind of fight. its not worth it at all. she's very lucky.

I would hand over my wallet for sure.... especially if there is a gun, or whatever weapon.

But it depends... on the situation, on the kind of guys. F.e. when I was young and naive ;) I met a clochard in the streets, and I invited him to my home to have some food and get a nap. Next morning I realized he had stolen around 100$. I was so angry, but he was already away. But I was lucky, because I met him by chance in the underground the next morning. I grabbed his hand, pulled him to a cafe (while threatening with police), and took a walkman, a comic book, and the rest of the 100$. This idiot.

Another time, not so long ago, I was sitting in the underground when a bunch of hooligan kiddos comes walking and starts to cuss me out etc. Now, I just was reading an english book, so I figured I might as well trick them, and started talking english. Regardless to say that they weren?t very good at it, but they understood what I meant... I congratulated them on being such a nice group, said I am from L.A., and we got the real stuff there, you know, my homies and the Bloods... and I was asking them what they had and laughing at their knives, told them we only use guns... and my friends in L.A. blah blah. They got out of the train, we cussed each other out, funny, just what I needed, my knees were pudding when I got out.

So I don?t know what I would do, how I would react; but I think if theres a gun, I?ll just hand over my money.

My sister is a little tougher than me though... one time a man was following her, saying dirty stuff; she was just on her way to a birthday party night picknick, therefore she had baked a cake and took a big knife with her, took it out and and cried to him that he?d better get the fuck away or she cuts his throat. Yeah, my sister is a tuff one... different from me.

Nice greez there :hug:

Last edited:
From past experiences etc... Iwould just hand over whatever they wanted and that would be it. Anything in your purse is replaceable - getting seriously hurt or killed isnt worth it.

In my old neighorhood my brothers each got jumped at least 4 times - one got a gun pulled on him once, and the other beaten up with a golf club - I'm not taking any chances.

Back
Top Bottom