Is anyone else really tired of the snarky and cynical posts on the internet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catman

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I was just perusing some of the threads here (and other forums), and it just hit me -- there is just way too much snark on the internet! Like, I'm all for sarcasm and ironic derision... in small doses. But what's happened with message boards, I find, is that these singular, one-word-type responses, or glib, terse retorts, are mistaken for being clever. Or maybe it's just a way for certain individuals to attempt to express intelligence on their part... but without any intelligent, meaningful input from themselves; it just comes off as cheap.

Anybody else feel this way about certain posts/ forums?

Oh yeah
I'm on a different forum as well, and it seems that these days people just come onto forums to spout their shit and then head off. Normal behaviour is very far off... Decent spelling even further.

If you want to feel even worse, look at youtube. The comments section is just horrible. I mean, if you hate an artist, the sane thing would be to not watch the videos right? But no, thesemorons actually go seek out the videos to comment hateful stuff on it. Are they really THAT bored to do this shit? :doh:

Oh yeah
I'm on a different forum as well, and it seems that these days people just come onto forums to spout their shit and then head off. Normal behaviour is very far off... Decent spelling even further.

If you want to feel even worse, look at youtube. The comments section is just horrible. I mean, if you hate an artist, the sane thing would be to not watch the videos right? But no, thesemorons actually go seek out the videos to comment hateful stuff on it. Are they really THAT bored to do this shit? :doh:
It would appear we are alone on this matter...

:hug:

I very much agree too. I guess I'm just too chicken to say it. There are prices to pay for anonymity.

I've seen and dealt with nasty people on Twitter. Some people have no lives, that's really what it all comes down to. It's both pathetic and sad that some people resort to being assholes on the Internet, and they could care less.

I agree about the power of anonymity.

I very much agree too. I guess I'm just too chicken to say it. There are prices to pay for anonymity.
Don't be scared, FlyontheHorizon!! You're just as much part of the community as anybody else here :yes:

You son of a bitch... :angry:

:wink:

What's the alternative?
The alternative? I really don't see it as one way or the other, but more having to do with simply toning down a lot of the smug, glib remarks that come across as terribly condescending, disrespectful and cheap. There is more than one way to carry a conversation, and I think the community of many message boards (including certain parts of Interference) could benefit from a greater lack of snarky retorts.

Yes. And I'm sick of trolls/people who hate on something for the sake of riling people up. (I'm not thinking of this place when I mention the latter but I know Interference has probably had its share of that too.)

Snark, however, can be amusing. In small doses.

I think people on this forum in general are pretty decent. I think trolling has more to do with the lack of community feeling on some forums/ sites. Most of us don't become members just to troll, because you know you can be kicked out and what' s the fun of that? To me, youtube can be seen as the sewer of the world. Go and watch a video of a band you hate and spill your guts!
I must admit that some of the more stupid comments are kind of fun to read!

I agree. Nothing wrong with humor but it becomes way too much of people trying to prove how clever they (think they) are. Sometimes at the expense of others. I pick and choose and ignore, but it's one reason I spend less time on the internet. I'm not even on Facebook or Twitter, I think it would drive me nuts. My life is tough enough these days.

I was just perusing some of the threads here (and other forums), and it just hit me -- there is just way too much snark on the internet! Like, I'm all for sarcasm and ironic derision... in small doses. But what's happened with message boards, I find, is that these singular, one-word-type responses, or glib, terse retorts, are mistaken for being clever. Or maybe it's just a way for certain individuals to attempt to express intelligence on their part... but without any intelligent, meaningful input from themselves; it just comes off as cheap.

Anybody else feel this way about certain posts/ forums?

I agree. Sometimes it seems like people think they're hilarious and, therefore, they should pop into every thread just to grace it with a witty response, whether they really have anything to contribute to the discussion or not. It gets worse around here during dry spells when there really isn't much to talk about.

Yes. And I'm sick of trolls/people who hate on something for the sake of riling people up. (I'm not thinking of this place when I mention the latter but I know Interference has probably had its share of that too.)
:up:
I agree. Sometimes it seems like people think they're hilarious and, therefore, they should pop into every thread just to grace it with a witty response, whether they really have anything to contribute to the discussion or not. It gets worse around here during dry spells when there really isn't much to talk about.
:up: :up: Rachel D., we are on the EXACT. SAME. PAAAAGE.

I left a forum for this very reason. It was small and all the members knew each other over 10+ years but since every subject had been "talked about" people just responded to anyone new with sarcastic one worded posts and chased the new posters away. It just doesn't contribute to discussion at all. It's not even cynical it's just rude.

I love me some cynical.

I would have answered yes when I first joined this forum, but as I have now become a pretty solid member of Interference (sad as that is) it doesn't bother me too much. It can be funny when you get the in-jokes. I abuse people on youtube who comment positive things on videos I hate, like Aussie hip-hop, because I'm bored and have nothing better to do apparently.

I hope you haven't taken it personally Catman :)

Back
Top Bottom