Interpolitical Relationships

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I am very single at the moment, so this is not a question that I need the answer to for my own life at the moment, it's more just curiosity...can you be/have you been in interpolitical relationships, and do they work/would you do it again? I'll start with my input:

My parents just celebrated their 28th wedding anniversary. My mom is quite liberal, my dad is moderate with right-leanings. Growing up with them, I genuinely thought I would be able to handle a relationship like that should I ever come into one.

A few years back, I had an eleven-month relationship with a girl I met on the internet. We never physically met. We cut it off shortly before we were going to meet and it never happened. Now, there were a lot of reasons why we wouldn't have worked(the distance, different social habits, different emotional states, etc - ending it before it went further was the right thing to do and it was totally mutual), but one reason was that she was fairly conservative and close-liped about her views while I was the ultra-liberal who wanted to talk about politics a fair bit. Liberal and willing to talk, conservative and for whatever reason, greatly adverse to discussing politics in-depth. Anyway, what this taught me about myself was that, while I have a lot of respect for my parents for making it work even though their political leanings are different, that I myself just NEED my partner to have the same political beliefs as I do. It's non-negotiable.

I think it can work. My dad's a solid Republican and my mom's a flaming liberal. It doesn't seem to effect their relationship, in fact it facilitates some pretty good discussion/debate, and it's not like I love one parent less because I don't always agree politically. Depends on your definition of unconditional love I guess and who you're willing to extend that to.

I'm sorry, are you telling me that you had an eleven-month relationship with a girl that you never met (!) :scratch: How is that possible? And honestly, namkcuR, if the two of you decided never to meet and that your political leanings would be an obstacle, neither of you were ever in love.

My boyfriend tends to lean more towards Republican views, and I lean more towards Democratic views. We don't talk politics a whole lot though, so the conflict doesn't rear its ugly head too much...but I've already gotten pretty hot over some things he's said! However, we were discussing Bush the other day and actually had the same thoughts! Fancy that! :lol:

In a way, it's kind of cool that we have different viewpoints because it can make for some good debates. It's all about respecting the opinions of others...no matter how much you may disagree with them. So, for me at least, it is entirely possible to be of opposite political views and still have a nice relationship.

Last edited:
Well, everyone I've dated has ranged from flaming libral to moderate libral. I've never had to deal with the political side of a relationship in that respect but some of my very best friends are hard-core conservative.

It's caused some problems in the past (see: 2000 election :) ) But I've never thought of not being friends with them. (okay, there was that one time in November of 2004 ;) )

The differences have brought about some very lively conversations. :D It's what makes my group of friends so much fun to be with. I couldn't take it if I was with someone who was just like me. :wink:

My parents are different in their political leanings, but they manage. Maybe because my dad leans different ways. :scratch: From Nixon-supporter to Jerry Brown delegate! :ohmy:

My sweetheart and I see eye-to-eye politically and I like it that way. I would have difficulty being with someone too conservative. I have trouble with them as friends even.

U2Man said:
I'm sorry, are you telling me that you had an eleven-month relationship with a girl that you never met (!) :scratch: How is that possible? And honestly, namkcuR, if the two of you decided never to meet and that your political leanings would be an obstacle, neither of you were ever in love.

think the same here.... met the girl first.

**glad to live in a country where nobody believe in politics**

All I know is that if I dated a republican as passionate about politics as I am it would probably get tiring because every conversation would turn into a debate...and that would get annoying.

THe only think I would "require" would be an open mind. I respect certain aspects of both, or all parties... but..... someone who was closeminded about politics would not be for me.

And that has nothing to do with politics.

I'm all for healthy debate and having differences, though, perhaps ideally, a good couple relationship would incorperate us sharing our views about things. But if someone is an extreme left or right, or anything else for that matter, I couldn't be with them.

That being said
I have friends from all over the spectrum
Mr Dem
Ms. Rep
And of course....... the person who thinks and says she is republican but acts very, very, very liberal....... :huh:
The banjo playing republican
The druggie liberal
All of them, in the flesh, I knew, as I'm sure most of you do, too.
The liberal weiner
The right wing nut job, as they say.

But when the 2004 election came around, I was alarmed that so many people didn't like one candidate or another because "he was stupid" or "I don't like him". Smart people, too, who had such basic beliefs. (And the majority of people I spoke to said Kerry was "stupid"........ :huh: :huh: :huh: )

I guess that's what you get where I grew up..............

but yeah, the only thing I really couldn't get along with was a closed mind. But that is not just a political thing. I think a closed mind is a dangerous mind, destructive mind... a source of corruption and or, for lack of better word, " 'evil' ". Those are hyperbolies, but still, that's how I feel.

I'm sorry if I'm too annoying.. but I don't get it :(... I can't understand why politics is so important in a relationship to you all... I know that in the USA the dinamic of the political parties have influence over the common people, it doesn't happen here, so I don't know how politics can affect private and individual relationships.

for me.. I just want a "decent" person... someone with integrity, who respects other's point of view

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom