Inside Broadcast VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm responding to MrsSpringsteen's response because the thread closed before I could:

So some people think whether someone is offensive and/or insulting and unfunny is up to a majority opinion? And how would anyone here know what that opinion is anyway? The majority here isn't made up of just your friends It is up to the mods and the rules to decide that, not anyone's friends or any majority opinion that anyone has or anyone thinks exists. I really dislike message boards that are run as popularity contests-and what you are suggesting sounds like that to me. ylime U2 is corrrect, what is offensive/not and unfunny/funny is subjective-and that's not the only reason for the suspension anyway the way Sicy described it.

You can defend people because they're your friends and in spite of whatever they do if that's your choice, but that has nothing to do with what the mods have to do around here and shouldn't have any influence in their decisions in my opinion. So I think that is what might be causing the perceived conflicts here. But really there is no conflict.

I definitely understand what you're saying, and I agree, but I was speaking in generalities at that point. This is completely hypothetical and does not relate to anything that has happened, but let's say someone says something that gets a mod offended, it's discussed, and the person gets suspended. If most of the board, not just a group of people, believe that the suspension was unwarranted, I think that has to be taken into consideration. I don't think that will happen, but that's just the instance I was talking about.

I should pull a George Costanza and try and get myself banned :hmm:

I'll go streak in my beige bodysuit and post it everywhere :macdevil:

I'll be Bodysuit Guy

So much drama.
But really, this is not our board or our forum, WE members don't have to work hard to keep this forum up and running...so we cannot devour and tear apart the rules just because we might not always agree with them.
Other boards may be different, culturally, politically, sexually loose, a lot more laid back, etc, etc.
But this is a different board with many different mediums and i think us as members should really just learn to deal with it and not complain like highschoolers, campaigning and petitioning for something we do not agree on.

This is not a democracy, it is just a forum- and who ever runs it or owns it has the right to make whatever rules that they decipher what is necessary for THEIR forum. If you don't like it, then go somewhere else that you deem as "more fun".

I would've found a clever way to keep my Sam Jackson avatar, but I fail at photoshop.

I think we should all* take turns getting banned, you know, for the good of the thread. :yes:

So, who wants to go first? :evil:

(* not me of course 'cause I'm a chicken) :uhoh:

No, no, no, Redrocks, you aren't supposed to nominate people for banning, you are supposed to volunteer. :yes:

So...c'mon. Who's gonna be a little shit for the good of the thread? You know you want to. :hyper:

(we're gonna get told to knock it off soon, but damn if these bannings/suspensions haven't caused a whole lot of excitement.)

RedrocksU2 said:
:hmm:

should I do it?

Yeah yeah yeah!!!

(I used to have a dog that would get the other dog to chase the farmer next door's cows and then would sit by and watch. I think I'm getting the same thrill she did.)

Why don't we all terrorize different parts of the board at the same time, completely shutting down everything with sarcasm and goatses.

Parts of that sound too similar to Die Hard 4, but you know, without the goatses.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Why don't we all terrorize different parts of the board at the same time, completely shutting down everything with sarcasm and goatses.

Parts of that sound too similar to Die Hard 4, but you know, without the goatses.

Sicy would probably banish us to the David Lee Roth forum if we did that. :ohmy:

...still, the idea is intriguing.... :shifty:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I definitely understand what you're saying, and I agree, but I was speaking in generalities at that point. This is completely hypothetical and does not relate to anything that has happened, but let's say someone says something that gets a mod offended, it's discussed, and the person gets suspended. If most of the board, not just a group of people, believe that the suspension was unwarranted, I think that has to be taken into consideration. I don't think that will happen, but that's just the instance I was talking about.

Well even hypothetically speaking I still disagree- what constitutes "most" of the board and how do you know that? Fact is you'd be assuming unless you took a genuinely anonymous poll of the entire membership. The mods' job is to enforce the rules without worrying what any one member thinks let alone any group or any alleged majority. Mods here are not like politicians who are elected by constituents and are beholden to them to carry out their wishes. The person who owns the board picks them and they have to be neutral in doing their job. And it doesn't even matter if you're paying for it, that's the way it is.

Some people are acting as if he was suspended on a whim or something or for just one post. As far as I can tell in general people are given many chances here before that happens-and just read what Sicy posted for the reasons.

If anyone thinks this place is too tightly controlled well as some people here are fond of saying it's your choice to stay or leave. So that works both ways/all ways for all situations. I don't see it that way at all, I see the opposite-that numerous things are allowed and numerous chances are given before people are suspended or banned. People are always free to start their own message boards and make up their own rules. If you can't have fun within the confines of the rules well I just don't know what to say about that because I just don't understand it. That's life, there are rules everywhere. It's like when you do something against the rules at work and telling your boss that you just want to have fun and they should just loosen up-generally that won't wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom