"Immature" or "I wish I could've seen that"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannabe

War Child
All I know was that is was a fun night, and an experience that will still get me smiling on grey days.

U2ME3 and ~LadyLemon~ will *maybe* get a kick out of this
smile.gif

Fellas, you ever have one of those runs at the arcade? You know the ones where you totally annihilate the competition. You walk into the arcade with the sole purpose of conquering, and leave with a champion feeling. You win at every game you play, prize redeeming tickets flourish in you gaming-mits. People turn and look at you, maybe not saying anything, but you know they're thinking, "wow". This is the story of one such run I had...

Last spring for a work graduation party, my manager took everyone out to a big gaming restaurant called "Dave & Busters". He gave us each a twenty dollar game card, my friend Greg and I went a gamin'! He and I both had very successful nights, but I just happened to have very odd luck where I would win in opportune times. I scored big that night.

Greg and I had massed quite a large firework collection over the past three year and we were planning on getting rid of them before entering college. But how?

Greg and I decided (based on earlier conversations) that we should trade our tickets we collected from the machines, for a rather large Pokemon doll. What else would we do with a stuffed-doll of this stature other than send it to the moon.

The difficult part was deciding where to ignite the Chinpokomon (as so eloquently coined by the South Park guys). Fireworks are illegal to ignite in the state of Ohio, but legal to sell. The only option looked to be to drive out of state. But how could we all caravan to Pennsylvania, Michigan, Kentucky or Indiana? It wasn't going to work, and time was running out til we began our fall quarters away from each other. It was then that my one friend Zach told us his parents were leaving home for the weekend. At first we thought maybe his backyard would work, but then his parents would see the aftermath. We decide to use the railroad tracks behind his house. They were elevated, and if anything when berserk, we could always duck. Too close to the houses we thought. So then Zach discovers his brain and mentions we should still use the railroad track, just ignite below the overpass to I-270 about two miles away.

Our questions had been answered. Gathering the group of our friends together for one last hurrah was enough fun. Throwing pyrotechnics into the mix was an added bonus. Arranging the chinpokomon was no problem, it was when the night finally came that we had a slight scare.

Zach is having our group of eight friend over, when tons more of his sister's friends stroll in. They were quite the distraction as one of us forgot to take the lighter with us to the launch-pad. Hike back two miles we did, and eventually we were ready. What was even more of a scare was the overwhelming quiet of the city. We could hear the drone of cars, it just seemed like every move we made was amplified ten fold.

Two to three gallons of unleaded gasoline should be enough right? And say about a couple hundred randomly placed fireworks. How would we light this beast off? Simple, the power of Roman candles were at our disposal. Unfortunately, it was rather dark, and the first candle we use to ignite the chinpokomon from the safe distance was an exploding candle. The flaming projectiles would shoot and explode after several seconds. The area went from pure silence, to the sound of a gun goin off. The eight "oh shit!"'s in unison are quite funny. The second candle we pulled was luckily just a flare candle which would emit sparks and heat, no sound. Each candle had ten shot, and the chinpokomon was hit successfully on the sixth. Unfortunately, Greg who had ignited it was so excited he continued to flail the candle with four remaining shots around. Luckily no one was hit, but some of the flare were shot into the rafters of the overpass.

I'll never forget admiring that rod & cone depleting scene. It was our own intimate firework display. This was some of our high school's finest minds collectively at work. We waited in amazement for the first minute, then bolted the hell outta Dodge as it was still merely a little after 10pm that evening. We ran like textbook action movie scenes. I felt like Willis meets Gibson meets DeNiro. We ran til our hearts felt like they were going to pop. When we looked back, the flames were amazing.

It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, and we're lucky none of us were killed or arrested. However, it was one of the more amazing things I've seen in life. The best part is that we captured it all on tape. I can smile again whenever
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by wannabe (edited 02-24-2002).]

*lmao*!!!!

Wow...it's stories like that that really make me miss my friends back home...*sigh*...good times...

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by wannabe:

It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, and we're lucky none of us were killed or arrested. However, it was one of the more amazing things I've seen in life. The best part is that we captured it all on tape. I can smile again whenever
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by wannabe (edited 02-24-2002).]

Great story--2 thumbs up!
biggrin.gif
Sometimes it really is worth it to do really stupid and fun things when you're young. You gotta live it up (yeah, that could have been dangerous but it ended up being cool as hell!) I've done my fair share of such things, hahaha...

------------------
Show a little faith
There's magic in the night

Hmm...I always thought it was legal to set them off in Ohio (illegal to sell in Ohio) and illegal set them off in Michigan (legal to sell them in Michigan). Now I'm confused...lol.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

As far as I know it is legal to sell in Ohio, but you need to go to a igniting-legal state to set them off. I'm not sure about Michigan though.

Thanks again for that information the other night melon. It really helped me out

Back
Top Bottom