I'm writing an academic paper for fun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
My excuse is that it's been two years, and I don't want to lose the knack, because who knows, I might just decide to do a masters sometime. Also, it would be an amazing coup if the journal I'm going to submit this paper to took it, because they pretty much only publish stuff by professors and PhD candidates. So I probably don't have much of a chance, but oh well. They read the papers blind and I can write just as well as a lot of those people.

But I'm still weird.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

cool. as long as they read blind you have a valid chance.
what's the journal and what's your topic?

------------------
silver
shiny

You are not weird.

People go to the gym to exercise their bodies, why don't we exercise our minds as much? That's what you're doing and that's great.

I hope they publish it. You'll have to keep me posted.

(I myself am trying to write a book)
wink.gif

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
I'm writing a paper about Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, which has major Arthurian elements. Absolutely one of the best children's fantasy series ever. The books are Over Sea Under Stone, The Dark is Rising, Greenwitch, The Grey King, and Silver on the Tree. I highly recommend them.

one of my housemates is into all this stuff however i must admit it's not really my bag. i may have to give some of it a try with all of these positive comments. he is really into the work of robert jordan. i dunno if you would know who that is but he seems to have published a lot of books and have very dedicated fans.
oh and you are definetely not weird. in fact what you are doing is really cool.

------------------
silver
shiny

Originally posted by kobayashi:

oh and you are definetely not weird. in fact what you are doing is really cool.

Thank you! SOmeone thinks I'm cool! Yaaaaaayyy!!
biggrin.gif

Angel, can you reveal what your book is about?? I'm curious. I just found out yesterday that a friend of mine is writing a sci-fi novel. I would never have guessed it of her.

I did read one Robert Jordan book, but didn't really get into it. I found it very derivative of the Lord of the Rings, which is the standard by which I judge all that type of fantasy.

------------------

-ACROB@T

<---- researching synesthesia for fun.

------------------
~*Mona*~
"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~BONO~

LOVE me, give me SOUL

O YEAH YEAH YEAH...

That's awesome that you have a chance to get published on an academic journals (a little addictive vice that I must have to read), and of all things, Susan Cooper! She's the bomb!

I myself have been building notes on my Great American Novel that's aimed to be a postmodern meta-satricalficiton pastiche version of James Joyce's Ulysses, set in Los Angeles on Bloomsday... I've been thinking about this since 1996... got notes and all... but been procrastinating....
frown.gif

------------------
"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on." - Stairway to Heaven, Zoso: Led Zeppelin

Originally posted by kobayashi:
cool. as long as they read blind you have a valid chance.
what's the journal and what's your topic?

The journal is Arthuriana, it's the most important (far as I know) journal of Arthurian studies in the world (arthurian=related to King Arthur, but you probably knew that.)

They're doing a special issue about Arthurian children's lit. I'm writing a paper about Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, which has major Arthurian elements. Absolutely one of the best children's fantasy series ever. The books are Over Sea Under Stone, The Dark is Rising, Greenwitch, The Grey King, and Silver on the Tree. I highly recommend them.

------------------

-ACROB@T

Back
Top Bottom