I'm tired of all the magnetic car ribbons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I don't mean to be offensive here, I know they're all for good causes, but to me there have become so many now it actually takes meaning out if it, and makes cars look tacky. At least in my area, if people have one they feel obligated to get them all. So you get:

yellow 'support our troops'
red, white and blue 'God bless America'
pink breast cancer
light blue ??
white- 'my husband is fighting for your freedom in Iraq'

I think I have even seen others I can't identify. These are about 8 inches high and shaped like the red AIDS ribbon people wear at events, so I don't know why there isn't a red one but I've never seen one.

The people marketing these things at 5 bucks each are making a killing, since they're only worth about 1. They play on the guilt of everyone. I don't know if it's like this everywhere, me being near so many military installations could be the reason. Does anyone else have an abundance of these, and do you feel the large number of them somehow cheapens the meaning? (not to mention the looks of the car, and it usually people with newer cars who do it)

Last edited:
Exactly what I was trying to say! Thanks for putting it so well!

Here, in the SUV soccer-mom Capital of the World, the ribbons are in abundance...everyone has a cause but its quite overwhelming. While the colors stir my conscience, I am angry with the guys making money hand over fist because I doubt their $$ are going to a charity...

and I'm sorry that anybody's husband is in Iraq fighting this war...

It seems to be the soccer moms here too. I hate to say it, but the first time I saw the husband in Iraq one was when I was stuck in a line of stalled traffic and had to hurry and get around in the other lane to get on the interstate. I had an opening and perfect timing when here comes this woman flying in a white SUV fast as she can and cuts me off just as I'm pulling out! She did it on purpose, and I was so mad I flipped her off. She points to the back of her car, meaning the ribbon, as if she has a right to do anything and get away with it because her husband is fighting for my 'freedom' While I'm sorry for him that's not a good attitude she's got there:|

I don't mean anything against the military, most of them are great and I hope they'll all come home safely, but in this area there are some who use it for their advantage in ways they shouldn't, even wearing full uniform to court as if no one would dare throw the book at one of our brave heroes. I know most of them are not like that but it still bugs me to see it.

Last edited:
Where I live is the epitome of white suburbia. It's almost like the Stepford Wives aruond here. :ohmy: Oh and it's about 95% Republican so the "support our troops" stuff is abundant. I don't know about y'all but I really don't like those bumper stickers because they're preaching to people to support the troops. I'm sure it would shock some of them that it's possible to be liberal AND support the troops at the same time, i don't need to be told to do so. :angry:

I've been sick of them for months now. Yes, good cause, but still, they make me want to yak.

While I'm a firm believer in the old saying, "A bumper sticker never changed the world", these are noble causes that unite people in a time when most of us walk with our eyes on the ground and watch television throughout the night. If people want to express their desire for cancer research or national unity, it's beautiful that they deface their automobiles. It's a little tack, only if you're idea of beauty is soulessness and people without opinions. :) (I'm not trying to instigate anything there, I'm just ambivalent to this issue).

If that didn't convince you, at least admit that it's better than attaching a gaudy bumpersticker with profanity or lewd pictures of little boys peeing on something.

Like U2dem said, what I was trying to say is that no matter how good the causes are they are weakened and cheapened when they have to have all of them, like a collection, or only because they feel guilty leaving one off. I feel it detracts from the real cause and does nothing to help it.

I don't have a car so I don't have those ribbons, but I do have a beaded AIDS ribbon made by HIV+ nurses in Africa. I hope it never becomes just a "fad", but I suppose I'd still show it even then (I keep one on my purse and one on my bag b/c I kept losing them or forgetting to put it on my clothes). There are of course always annoying people who wear them just to be "cool" or "edgy" or think that's what I'm trying to be, but I've also had a number of people ask about it which is good.

I don't believe in putting stickers on a car, so mine is free.

Mr. BAW said:
Here, in the SUV soccer-mom Capital of the World...
:lmao: There must be a million SUV-driving soccer moms in the O.C., seriously. There are plenty where I live too, and it seems like a lot of 'em drive H2's. (I actually have a nickname for H2's but it's a little "off color" and not something I'd post here...lol).

oh it's like that here too. the same thing happened in 01...on 9/12 everyone ran out and got american flags, god bless america, etc. the problem is when everyone's got them - and sometimes several - it just loses its effectiveness, i guess. it no longer looks like you really support our troops, but that you support being like everyone else.

i especially love the new trend of magnetic stickers. this way, when it goes out of vogue, you just take it off so you can remain like everyone else!

I'm really tired of those blasted things too. I'm sorry, no one is better than I am just because they've got those things on their car.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i especially love the new trend of magnetic stickers. this way, when it goes out of vogue, you just take it off so you can remain like everyone else!

Aren't those easy to steal?

We have a similar thing going on with bracelets. We've had the cancer bracelet, now there's a respect bracelet and we've had a bracelet against violence. In defense of those, people don't shove these under your nose and quite a lot of the money actually goes to charity.

DrTeeth said:

We have a similar thing going on with bracelets. We've had the cancer bracelet, now there's a respect bracelet and we've had a bracelet against violence. In defense of those, people don't shove these under your nose and quite a lot of the money actually goes to charity.

After Sept. 11, my mom ordered me a sterling silver bracelet for my late birthday present (my birthday is 9/11) and it had the name of a deceased FDNY fireman engraved ("Charles Mendez, FDNY"). I've never seen anyone else with one, but I really liked it, especially since it had someone's name on it. I looked him up on line and read all about him. It kinda helped me to connect to the whole situation, especially after working near and visiting ground zero and month after Sept. 11. Unfortunately, I left the bracelet at gymnastics which happened to be the very last night on their lease at that location so I called and explained exactly where the bracelet was, but never got it back. I still miss it :(

EDIT: like people have been saying about these magnet manufacturers making money, when we were at ground zero, there were kids down there that had found ways to get in real close and were walking around screaming things like they'd get you in close for $5 a person. :tsk:

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:
let me get this straight.

you guys don't like magnets that let people show their support for decent causes?

:slant:

Speaking for myself, I don't like the magnets because they've become a fad. It seems as if every Dick and Jane on the freeway has one now, and when it gets to that point, I think people tend to lose the original meaning behind them.

In fact, there was a story on the local news here about companies who are in no way affiliated with the causes these ribbons support, but they're in it just to make a quick buck for themselves, so maybe that adds to my disdain of them. :slant:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Speaking for myself, I don't like the magnets because they've become a fad. It seems as if every Dick and Jane on the freeway has one now, and when it gets to that point, I think people tend to lose the original meaning behind them.

In fact, there was a story on the local news here about companies who are in no way affiliated with the causes these ribbons support, but they're in it just to make a quick buck for themselves, so maybe that adds to my disdain of them. :slant:

i understand now. i thought the money for the magnets was going to the charities. but if it's not, then yes, that sucks.

:slant:

DrTeeth said:

Aren't those easy to steal?

1. The kind of person who'd have those all over their car wouldn't steal, and

2. the kind of person who'd steal them wouldn't want them.

If there have been cases of gangs of teens pulling them off to be mean, I've never heard of it. They're all over the Walmart parking lot, they have their chances.

oh and :up: to LarryMullen'sPOPAngel's post!

oh my gosh Im glad you started this thread. They are all over the place here. I'm so beyond sick of them it's not even funny.

This might sound TOTALLY horrible but I am sick of people talking about fighting for our freedom and all that jazz too. I hate to say it this way but our freedom was never really threatened. Yes there was a major act of terrorism against us but we act like we are the only country to ever have it happen. People in other countries have to deal with it daily.

I'm also so very tired of everybody using September 11 as a justification for war, intolerance and hate. It was a horrible day, the victims and brave people that helped should ALWAYS be remembered. But you know, we didn't even attack the right country after it happened.....

anyway, end of rant

Back
Top Bottom