I'm really scared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Philk?

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
I just woke up about 5 minutes ago, 3:55 am. I woke up because I felt my hand curling up into a fist. The only time this happens is when I have a seizure. However, I learned that if I held my thumb back, I could stop it before it curls up so tight that I pass out.

So I held my hand open for 15 minutes. If I let go, my brain would start to scramble and my thumb would try to go again. My hand was hurting so bad. It felt like it fell asleep, but it would not get better and it hurt more as time went on. That, and when I let it go it would hurt even more and I could feel the seizure coming on.

I am terrified to go back to bed. I'm sweating. My hands are freezing and my right hand hurts because it was so tight. It seemed like if I laid down, things got worse. But I'm so tired.

Looks like I get to call my Dr. tomorrow. This hasn't happened for 3 years. Why is it starting again? :confused:

:yikes: That doesn't sound too great, perhaps you should just make sure not to go to bed alone in case something happens!
Couldn't you hold something in your hand to make sure your hand can't curl into a fist? Perhaps one of those stress balls or so?

Whoa, I'm so sorry to hear about this Phil. :hug:

Let us know what the doctor says!

I didn't get to call my Dr. today. I had an interview with a school and it went longer than we both expected. I should have called during lunch, but our class had a field trip today and we had 10 minutes to eat. 35 fifth graders do not travel from one place to another very easily. No time...but the interview was too important to miss.

I'll call tomorrow, I promise.

Oh, and I don't sleep alone. :) My wife Liesje is right there by my side. I didn't want to wake her up.

Also, I feel great today. Any time this happens, I am friggin aware of everything the next day. Like a computer slows down and you re-boot and it works perfectly again. Nice analogy eh?

I didn't get to call my Dr. today. I had an interview with a school and it went longer than we both expected. I should have called during lunch, but our class had a field trip today and we had 10 minutes to eat. 35 fifth graders do not travel from one place to another very easily. No time...but the interview was too important to miss.

I'll call tomorrow, I promise.

Oh, and I don't sleep alone. :) My wife Liesje is right there by my side. I didn't want to wake her up.

Also, I feel great today. Any time this happens, I am friggin aware of everything the next day. Like a computer slows down and you re-boot and it works perfectly again. Nice analogy eh?

oh phil! sorry this happened to ya! :hug:Glad to hear that you feel better but don't forget the dr! Even if you feel better get yourself checked out mister. You have us all worried.. I am sure Lies wouldn't of minded if you had woken her.. silly.

I had seizures as a child and I remember this too. First the exhaustion/sleep and then after that I'd feel fantastic, totally recharged. It was very strange.

If you're on meds, maybe you'll need a dose adjustment or change to a new one if it starts happening again? Definitely see the doctor, it's always good to keep an eye on these kinds of changes.

Glad you're doing better today. :)

Not really. The only thing I can think of is that I have not slept very well in a long time. It's not stress. I leave that at the school and run to clear my head 5 days a week. It works.

I really didn't notice my restlessness through the night until a short while ago...maybe a week or two. I don't sleep in much any more, but one Sunday morning, I woke up and went on the computer, but went back to bed and slept for 3 more hours. I woke up at 11:30am. I was so tired(no, no seizures then). It made me think and I have been waking up pretty consistently every night. Sometimes 1:00, sometimes 2:00 or 3:00...you get the picture.

I looked up possible side effects of the meds I'm taking and sure enough, trouble sleeping in one of them. So, I guess it could be fatigue as I know that makes a difference. Add this to the list of things to bring up with the Dr. huh?

I guess it could be a little stress since I am in the process of a job search for teaching next year. Which, by the way, if you have any connections, let me know. :wink: But falling asleep is no issue and I can't think of a time where I wasn't happy/comfy in bed. :)

If you're on meds, maybe you'll need a dose adjustment or change to a new one if it starts happening again? Definitely see the doctor, it's always good to keep an eye on these kinds of changes.

He is on meds, changed to a completely new drug this fall.

I think Philk needs a "sleep doctor". I've always thought maybe he has some sleep disorder rather than a neurological problem (or a neuro problem tied to sleep) b/c his seizures are when he's waking, or seems like it's going to happen at night. Even when he's asleep he will toss and turn and sometimes wake up having these screaming fits. So maybe the meds that disrupt sleep are not so good....

Back
Top Bottom