I'm not good at keeping friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Philk?

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
This is kind of a strange post, but it's been bugging me lately so I'll vent it out here.

I am actually very outgoing. I have lots of people I know from the first time in college, and then now as I am in college once again I have met lots of people. Meeting people and going to class and stuff is easy and fine. It is over time that something happens.

Right now, I'm 26 and in college with a bunch of 19-21 year olds. So, I discount anything that is going on there. I don't expect to make great friendships as I'm the married, returning to college guy. But I have a number of friends from the first time through school that are around here. I used to hang out with one of them quite a bit. Some others have moved in town more recently and we've talked about getting together, but I just keep backing down or finding excuses not to go.

I don't know. This all came up because for my dog training class, I'm supposed to have friends over to help with certain things...and I realized I don't have friends like that. And I think it's because of me.

I've always kind of been a floater. Like, in high school, I bounced from the jocks to the calculator nerds to the skater punks with ease. College, I bounced from the jocks to the lan party gang to the ladies. :sexywink:

I don't know. I make friends, but I think I stop anything from possibly becoming a true friendship...and I don't know why.

Thanks for letting me vent.

edit: I have my wife. :flirt: hey baby...

It's called Sagittarius. I guessed correctly before I even looked. :)

Sadges are the free spirits of the zodiac. You may think you're not good at keeping friends but in fact Sadge is all about friendship without the negative emotional entanglements that get in the way of true friendship. I bet if an old friend you haven't been in touch with for awhile looks you up out of the blue you greet them with open arms regardless of how much time has passed, or what baggage that friendship may have once carried. Sadges are actually the truest of friends.

:)

(Of course, this is all a big generalization, because it all depends on what else is going on in your natal chart).

^^ Yep, that's him! He has probably ten times as many "friends" as I do; I am very selective and loyal in my friendships. I tell people I can only have five friends at a time. He knows more people at my school and church than I do and I'm the one that's lived here all my life! We can't even go out for dinner or on a walk in the mall without being stopped every ten feet. I've given up on trying to have lunch with him at the school cafe!

Phil, I am a Sag, but, could not care less about that since Zodiac signs mean nothing to me. I do know that I'm sort of the opposite, and am good at keeping friends. I'm lucky in that I've met amazing people in the many different aspects of my life, from grade school to right here in Chicago, and everywhere in-between.

It's all about effort. You keep just as many friends as you actually want to. I learned that upon moving from my native NYC at age 26, and re-learned it again recently, upon leaving LA for Chicago.

I met you, and have come to know you a bit over this forum, and you're about as nice a person as one could ever hope to meet. Not a bad bone in your bad body, which is a rarity. So, there can be no shortage of people that genuinely like you.

If this is truly bugging you, then I bet it would not be hard at all for you to take steps to remedy the situation.

It is nice that some interlanders are volunteering to be your friend. I'd never, ever volunteer for that, of course, but it is heartening to see others do so. :) It's a testament to your appeal.

Fukodome!!!

Mr. BAW said:
I honestly don't need friends to exist...I meet so many new people during the course of the business day, who has time for friends??? :|

Everyone has time for friends, or you'd not have BAW-B-Q's with Carlos and Redkat at your place.

^^
Well thanks for the kind words though. :)

I didn't want this to be a thread where it seemed that is what I was going for. I hope not. I only posted because maybe that is just how it is when you grow up and move on from school/college life.

It is true though that if I do run across an old friend, I will greet them as if it wasn't long ago we last met. :) It's just the whole giving them a call to set something up. Why should setting up a time bring on anxiety...?

Mr. BAW said:
Those guys were friends???? NSW never showed up....:hmm:

There was one person who was persuaded NOT to show....:lol:

I regret never going, but, by the time I felt comfortable enough with the SoCal group to maybe attend, I sort of moved. :)

I'll be back in LA at least 1-2x this Spring/Summer, though, I miss....ahem.....my friends a lot.

Angels game???

I hear ya, Phil. I'm a floater too. I have all kinds of friends all spread around, cause I can never quite sit still in life. It's tough, but hey, at least you're good at making them :) Not everyone can say that.

mhh, yep same here Gotphilk !
today was one of those days...we had an exam and afterwards we went to lunch together and decided to go shopping! ok, in the end, I had to cancel the date I had with my friends from school!
So, I think that's the way it is. For some reason you just do what you think is better at a certain moment. I don't think I went shopping cause I didn't want to see the movie with my friends cause I don't like them or sth like that, it was just 'a decision' at that time...:shrug:

I'm the same way - I have a ton of friends, but very VERY few I'd seriously call true friends. Right now, I can think of precisely two. My buddy Paul (who is only in town for 4 months at a time thanks to his work terms for school in Alberta), and my friend Elisa (who I lived with last year but haven't seen in about a month simply because I haven't gotten around to calling her).

I had another good friend who I lived with last year, who was the guy I went to for advice and told everything to. But his parents forced him to drop out of school (he was wise with everything except his money), and he moved back home to Calgary. Fuck I miss that guy.

Past that, I've got a couple guys from high school I hang out with from time to time - Colin has turned into a real douche lately though (I don't know anybody who's as much of a manwhore as he is since he broke up with his girlfriend), and Alain and I are really only friends in the summer time, since we play baseball together every weekend.

I have the same issue as you, Phil - I meet loads and loads of people. I've got dozens and dozens of folks I can hang out with at any given time and have a blast with, but when it comes to actually making plans I either call Elisa or Paul - they're the ones who set up the groups. If I'm not with either of them, I'm almost never with other friends.

I don't necessarily mind it, but it gets to be a real drag when Paul's out of town and Elisa's the only person I can call - and if she's not doing anything, chances are pretty good that I'm not either.

Back
Top Bottom