I'm not going to see U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KhanadaRhodes said:

uhh, no, i'm not. god forbid i would have a different musical taste than you. :|

It's not so much a question of musical tastes. I was incredulous at least in part because not only are you someone who's posted almost 10, 000 times in this forum, but you are also a forum moderator, at a U2 site(!)
I don't dislike Duran Duran, but even many of their fans would not make huge claims for their greatness. Rio isn't exactly Achtung Baby. Whatever.:shrug:

I've been alternately amused and appalled by the melodrama that's been happening here for the past week. It's amazing how passionate/venomous/hysterical/defensive people have been.

I do hope I get a chance to see the band, but that might not be an option. Maybe in the fall, but at this point, they're not coming anywhere near my home town.:( But strangely enough, I'm not taking that personally, and I don't hate them for it. Does that make me weird?:wink:

biff I think you missed the point of the thread. It's not about hating U2...it's about the fear that you dont love them as much as you used to...just because you have changed as a person.

As for questioning Khanada, she and I go WAY back...way before interference was even a site and she was a true blue U2 fan back then so you have no right to question her ability to be a moderator on this forum,

Huh?

I didn't "question her ability" in any way. Where did you get that?
And I don't think I "missed the point" either. I'm very puzzled by your remarks.

Last edited:
biff said:
Huh?

I didn't "question her ability" in any way. Where did you get that?
And I don't think I "missed the point" either. I'm very puzzled by your remarks.

whoa biff, you are right. I read your post too fast the first time and got a totally different meanng out of it. I re-read it just now and I see what you are saying. You are surprised to hear her say that because she has posted so much and is a mod.

I am VERY sorry. I hope you can accept that.

Muggsy said:

it is really sad that U2 (or U2's management or whatever) ignore latino fans :tsk:

yeah it is sad. I mean they have made videos in south america and have been there many times yet they never play there, it doesnt make any sense.

LoveTown said:

whoa biff, you are right. I read your post too fast the first time and got a totally different meanng out of it. I re-read it just now and I see what you are saying. You are surprised to hear her say that because she has posted so much and is a mod.

I am VERY sorry. I hope you can accept that.

There's no problem, LoveTown. I can see you were being loyal to your friend, and that's a nice thing. I guess emotions are running pretty high around here right now, and that's a shame.

Pax.:)

biff said:
It's not so much a question of musical tastes. I was incredulous at least in part because not only are you someone who's posted almost 10, 000 times in this forum, but you are also a forum moderator, at a U2 site(!)
I don't dislike Duran Duran, but even many of their fans would not make huge claims for their greatness. Rio isn't exactly Achtung Baby. Whatever.:shrug:
true, they haven't made an achtung baby. but they're not the same band and don't even make the same kind of music. if U2 want to put a keyboard part in their song, it needs to be (well in the past at least) negotiated so that edge can play keyboards instead of guitar - like on new year's day.

i do still love U2, just not as much as i used to. they're now my second favourite band and perhaps i was a bit hasty to say that i wouldn't travel for them. but duran duran are different...they were my first love and i've been a fan much longer than of U2's.

and you would be surprised to hear some of the claims duran duran diehards make! (i can think of one creepy individual i met back in 01 who had seen like 12 of their shows for that tour already, and they'd only played like 15 at that point!)

btw thanks salsa :hug:

Khanada, that's a very charming post, and thanks for that. I can better understand you and the point from which you originate.
I can also remember the whole "first love" aspect (I was thirteen when I saw my first big concert). I also know for sure that there are fanatics for every band (and, sadly, plenty of creepy individuals).
So, are you from "Khanada"? Just curious.

biff said:

So, are you from "Khanada"? Just curious.

Biff your complete lack of Duran Duran knowledge is atrocious! Consider yourself wiped with wet spaghetti! lol

I'll leave KhanadaRhodes to explain her username that any Duranie would clearly understand. :wink:

:hug:

Actually, I'm not that big a knob. I do know the "Khanada" reference, and obviously, the Nick Rhodes bit. But being from Canada myself, and not knowing anything about that particular Interferencer, I wondered if she might have chosen a name that had a multitude of possibly punning meanings. I was just trying to be friendly, and (obviously a failure at being) funny.

Sorry biff. I didn't mean any offense. I'm impressed you are familiar with Duran b sides. Not everyone is.

I also meant to say whipped with wet spaghetti not wiped. :huh:

Apologies again. :hug:

Sorry to you as well, Beli. I'm very cranky for a lot of reasons these days, hence the obligatory :mad:

Now, would I rather be "whipped" or "wiped"? :drool:

I'm not going to see U2 live anywhere either -- never really planned to. You see I like U2, but I don't love them. They aren't my favorite band...not even in my top five. They used to be though -- crikey, I used to be of of the most annoying U2 fans! Honestly, think of the most "U2's shit can't possibly smell -- they are perfect and should be worshiped" posters here....and you'd get a pretty good idea of me 17 - 18 years ago. :yikes:

So anyway, my musical tastes changed and my new favorite band was and still is The Church (well except for a couple year period in the late 90's where all I could listen to was NIN -- yeah I was difficult to be around...). I don't think I engage in the hero worship now -- I might be obsessed, but I'm very well aware that the band members have flaws (and do some of them ever have the flaws! :eek: ) Although I've been a fan of theirs for many years I just saw my very first Church gig only last year, and for that I did do the travel (well, a road trip) to see them, and I did see multiple shows (5). And I'd do it again (if I can afford it... :( ), as I had a great time.

But I won't do it for U2, for several reasons. I really dislike paying a lot of tickets (none of my Church tickets cost more than $20 (USD) ), I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY dislike large crowds (not a problem when going to see The Church), and I don't find I enjoy the shows when I'm not quite close to the stage (and there is no way in hell I'm doing what's required to get close enough at a U2 show!). And U2 isn't even my favorite band, so trying to see them would be even more annoying.

The reason I like to see a band live is that I think I'll enjoy it. The Church is low key enough I can enjoy the show (even if I have to drive through blizzard conditions to get there :) ), and there is the very good possibility I can chat with one of the guys (and/or members of their opening band -- I loved Sea Ray -- cool band/nice people), which is always fun. For me the U2 concert experience would just be too irritating and stressful to be fun. And what the hell's the point of that?

Last edited:
lol you guys hijacked my thread....yay!

oh and you are welcome Khanada, that's what old friends are for :hug:

I loose my last chance

Hi!

Guys, i'm so sad!:sad: I loose my last chance to see Vertigo Tour.
I tried pre sale, general sale, and no tix for me and my friends.
I've been planning to go to USA since april/2004, saving money, planning to leave my children whith my husband and my mom...was not easy!
Now, my friends don't want to pay from scalpers, and i couldn't to go to Europe or 3th leg at USA.
I think that U2 is not coming to Brazil nevermore, the last tour (POP Mart) they had a big financial problem whith the Brazilian promoters:mad:
I love U2, but I loose my chance to see them!:sad:

Patricia

If they do add tour dates within a reasonable distance from me (I'm in VA) I will go to one show, but I am not burying myself in debt chasing them all over the place like I used to. I can't financially or realistically do that anymore.

Wow. I really want to comment on this post, but I'm not sure all of my comments will be totally relevant. I'm going to try anyway...

I've lived long enough to know that passions for certain bands, baseball teams, TV shows and the like can change and fade over time. During the JT/R&H/ZOO TV days, music wasn't my major passion. Baseball was, especially the New York Yankees and an ex-Yankees player in particular. I traveled to San Diego and Boston to watch this guy play on his new home teams. I thought he was the hottest thing on wheels. Of course, now I look back at it and say, "WHAT was I THINKING?" But I don't regret the travel, which brought me to two fascinating places that I might not have ever seen otherwise.

As for Duran...I was a teen fan magazine editor during the Duran era and I was one of the biggest Duranies there was, even though I was a little older than their fan base. I had this naive thought that the guys would see the wonderful articles I was writing for the fan mag, and hire me to work directly for them. Never happened. Fans of other bands and stars wrote letters to complain that I was focusing on the Duran fan base to the exclusion of their heroes, and in retrospect, they were right. Anyway, I find the Duran revival very amusing...I'm glad the Taylors three are back in the band, and day-um, does Roger Taylor look great!

U2...it dawned on me nearly 3 years ago that maybe they'd been my favorite band all along, and I'd never realized it. They were THE constant band, the band I'd listened to all through the years long after I'd put my other favorites like the Cure and Depeche Mode CDs away, never to be listened to again. U2 also has been a bond between me and two of my favorite people in my life, my best friend and an ex-co-worker. I have so many happy memories of going to shows, and their music has soothed and comforted me during tough times. For all of these reasons, I still need to see them this tour. And the more I read of good people who couldn't get tickets, the guiltier I feel about having a ticket to two shows.

No one should have to explain why they don't want to see U2 this time around, and/or why they aren't as passionate about the band as in times past. Things change. People change. But for some of us, the fire--The Unforgettable Fire?!?!--still burns brightly. And despite all the ticket-buying hassles and the unhappiness on the fan web sites, we are still looking forward to the springtime, and to welcome back Adam, Bono, Edge and Larry when they appear before us in concert.

Excellent post, Diane. While I think I'd be a :censored:hole for not sympathizing with people that got hurt, this isn't exactly Watergate. If you hate U2.com, you can get a refund. This negativity has been absolutely overwhelming. I haven't even been able to listen to HTDAAB for a week. This is a nightmare. I'm wearing black on my birthday, February 20. I curse the day of my birth. May God forgive me for these sentiments, but I'm sorry, I can't help it. It's an Aspie's nightmare. Things that have given me comfort and solace for decades have become as disposable as the things I put in my f:censored:g trashcan. This is intolerable.:mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

U2Kitten said:
If they do add tour dates within a reasonable distance from me (I'm in VA) I will go to one show, but I am not burying myself in debt chasing them all over the place like I used to. I can't financially or realistically do that anymore.

I am in the same boat as you U2Kitten.

U2Kitten said:

I am in the same boat as you U2Kitten.

Back
Top Bottom