I'm jumping off the high-dive... and I don't swim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BluRmGrl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I made an important decision today - I'm changing jobs. And I'm scared half out of my mind. :reject: Here's the deal:

I'm in a job that I relatively like - I've only been here since the end of last June, so it's not like I've had time to get all jaded about things. I haven't even been considering leaving - so why would I do such a thing you might ask. I literally had a managment position come to my doorstep last Wednesday night.

One of my neighbors is a regional supervisor for a company that owns several Sprint stores here in NC. She knocks on my door last week and tells me she just had one of her managers here in Wilmington resign and that she feels I'm the right person to replace him. :shocked: This is completely out of the blue! I've never worked in the cellular phone industry & I've not had any formal management experience. I asked her why in the world she thought I'd be the one for the job. She tells me I've got the right attitude & she knows I'm smart enough to pick up the duties - she thinks I'd really exceed.

So I've been turning this over in my head for the last week and I finally decided today that I'm going to give my two week notice to my current employer tomorrow. There's got to be a reason such a random opportunity has fallen in my lap and I'm just going to wing it. I've always wanted a job that I could advance into management with - this isn't quite the same thing, but maybe a complete change in my career is exactly what I need.

Mr. Blu's completely behind me on this and we figure if it doesn't work out, I've still got my insurance license - I can always go back to writing policies. :shrug:

I'm just scared to death about making such a leap - has anyone else had a similar situation? How'd it turn out for you?

BluRmGrl, I can't say that I've been in a similar situation (I'm a 20-year-old college student, so obviously I don't have the career experience), but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with this new position. :up: I'm sure you'll do fine! :)

:hug: BluRmGrl Best of luck. You are lucky to have the Mr behind you :up: Face your fear but do it anyway (that is the title of a book that helped me make some VIP decisions and act on them in my life)

:applaud: congrats on the job :)

I've never been in a career situation before, but I say go for it. you'll never know if it'll work unless you try and give it a shot.

good luck BluRmGrl :hug:
you'll do great :)

Mr. BAW said:
...what are you a man or a mouse???
Better - I'm a woman! :flirt: :happy:

Thank you all for encouraging me. :up: Now, when I'm on the new job & wondering what in the Hell was I thinking to get myself into this, I can blame it all those damn Interferencers egging me on & telling me to "go for it"! :madwife: :lol:

Mr. BAW said:
:hmm: wondering what kind of discount we can finally get through Sprint since we know one of the important peoples.....:hmm:

Always workin' the angles, huh? :shifty: :kiss: :laugh:

:eek: You're all so sweet - but I promise, when I'm questioning why I ever jumped into this headfirst, I'm going to blame you folks for encouraging me!!!

PEER PRESSURE MADE ME CHANGE MY JOB!!! :madspit:

:lmao:

Mr. BAW said:
Reading what I thought to be a new post thinking I'm gonna lay the smackdown on BRG!!! then I realize its a deja-vu nightmare...:evil:

Imagine how I felt... I'd forgotten about even starting this thread! :shocked: :lol:

Brief update: the job's going fine. My regional manager left for a job that fell in her lap three weeks after I started & there's been a lot of turmoil/growing pains as my company goes through the Sprint/Nextel merge, but overall I still like it. We had a great month in April & beat the sales for all other stores in our region, but then the last month and a half has been painfully slow for us. Of course, that's the trend throughout our division right now, so it's not like anyone can point the finger at my store & complain that we're not doing our share of sales.

Still, I don't like losing and struggle daily with ways to drive folks into our stores so we can close the sales. That's my biggest hurdle right now: marketing. I have absolutely no background in that whatsoever & I'm really at a loss for effective ideas to bring people to our store. (It doesn't help that the "store" is a kiosk at the mall - we have to grab people who hadn't necessarily intended to buy a phone, as opposed to regular storefront customers. They go to a store specifically for that purpose. So I'm still in search of the advertising angle that will work best for us.)

:blahblah: :end rant:

So there you have it... bet you guys are sorry now that you brought the subject back up, huh? :lmao:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom