I'm jealous of international travelers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
everytime i go to the airport i end up with a little bit of jealousy towards those passengers who just got back from some wonderful place outside of the U.S. :| meanwhile i am boarding a flight to go on a business trip. :yawn:

I end up hearing stories from those passengers who are going on and on about their recent adventures in Paris, Spain, England, South Africa, Asia, South America, Holland, Australia etc...and all i feel is jealousy.

:sigh: one day i will be able to fill up my passport.

on a nice note. i did help 4 visitors from Germany this afternoon at the airport by taking their pictures for them. :D such a nice person i am. :angel:

International travel is one thing. International business travel is another. The former is fun, the latter is grueling.

The only advantage is duty free - and that is only an interesting option if you have any energy left in you.

Build up your frequent flyer miles on domestic business travel, then take a Ms. I-Lo international vacation. :up:

As a compulsive international traveller...I'm sorry. :(

But if it helps, I will extend an open invitation to any interferencers willing to brave Africa and come visit me while I'm serving with Peace Corps in Mali. :yes:

ya travelling is great.

i should be leaving in about a month.

unfortunately the fucking school hasnt been in contact with me in over 2 weeks, and i have no idea whats going on right now.

am i angry? oh yes, i am angry.

sorry to sidetrack your thread, but my life is kind of in the balance right now and the uncertainty is driving me insane.

sulawesigirl4 said:
As a compulsive international traveller...I'm sorry. :(

But if it helps, I will extend an open invitation to any interferencers willing to brave Africa and come visit me while I'm serving with Peace Corps in Mali. :yes:

I had a dream I went to Africa by helicopter, to do a safari.

I think that dream may be as close as i get :uhoh:

:wave:

MVD, a huge pro in the pro-side of international travel is going to see a U2 show overseas... :sexywink: :shifty:

I love travelling overseas.

Due to this, whenever I see a confused tourist in NYC, I run to help them, because I know how hard it is when you do not know where you are going or you don't speak the fucking language.

The only place ive been outside of England is France!!! hmmm when I've finished Uni, Im travelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm incredibly incredibly jealous of international travellers. A guy who works with me is taking a three week tour of Italy, Spain, France, England, Holland, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, and a few other countries....

oh yeah, and his parents are footing the bill.

And he's going with his girlfriend and a group of friends.

A week after he returns her's going to Israel too.

Where's the fairness??

^ now that makes me jealous! :scream:

business travel blows however i did discover that i really like Nashville. it is beautiful. :shifty: i took home a home buyers guide to Nashville today.

bear i am sorry to see your plans are in limbo right now. :slant:

sula your adventures are wonderful. i only dream about doing what you have been able to do.

olive if i have my way i will travel overseas to see U2 perform live.

countries that i have visited:
Ireland
Mexico
Bahamas *does that count?*

Last edited:
where's the DEET? I've never been bothered by the travel bug...until now

I managed to get to 40 without the desire or the belief it was ethically OK to travel for pleasure....but geez just lately.
And of all things my Finnish neighbour rang me yesterday, mainly to say she had just had Ali put down( her 16 year old black cat she knows I have loved over the years) AND I think to tell me her itinerary...across Europe on the Orient Express, 2 months in Finland with family , acros Russia and then catching a ferry to Japan and then ..she'll see. I told her to "duck and cover" if she sees anymissiles.( not funny really) I once thought I would like to travel with her, she is soooooooo seasoned and I am so nervous. I've never been in a plane.
And the fact two of my nephews now live in Lndon gets to me...why that is almost shouting distance from Ireland.Jesse went to Dublin last Christmas and said "you'd love it Aunty P"
I reckon there is a fair chance I would.
Hub may have the opportunity to go to Los Angeles for training this year at the Digitech headquarters.That prospect has
got me going. He doesn't want to go...but I do!!!

but in reality ...I'll be lucky to get to see U2 in Brisbane, so I'll just crawl back under my rock with my can of DEET.

bono voyage y'all:wave:

heyyy, some of us have worked very hard, saved very hard and not spent our money on essentials like cars and stuff in order to finance our trips. not to mention staying at hostels, eating bread and cheese for weeks on end and sitting for 10 hours on trains every other day once we got there. :p

Anyways, all I want to say is, for those of you who really truly desire to get out and travel, you can do it! Honestly, it's not as expensive as you might think if you plan ahead and really follow through with your dreams.

MissVelvetDress...I am sure that you'll be able to find a way to see U2 abroad. And what an experience it will be. :D

meegannie said:
I don't know how people afford to travel so much.

:mad:bastards:mad:

;)

i know!, my pearents said if my report card was good at the end of they year, they will pay everything, to fly overseas to see U2 on there next tour i was just like :censored: :faint:

i cant belive it, there must be some catch?...will find out at the end of the year

it wont feel right, having them pay for the whole trip! ;), but i'll chip in some cash myslef!, once i get myslef a part time job:yes:

sulawesigirl4 said:
not to mention staying at hostels, eating bread and cheese for weeks on end and sitting for 10 hours on trains every other day once we got there. :p

:crack:

:crack:

It was worth it, but after hosteling my way in Dublin I realized I'm NOT a hostel girl!! :lol:

and the holiday inn we checked into at the end of our trip wasn't much more expensive :reject:

:wink:

i love to fly. i however dislike flying out of Atlanta because it is too busy. i prefer smaller airports where you don't have to arrive 2.5 hrs. before your flight. it is annoying flying into atlanta as well because there are typically flight delays. last night when i arrived back home at the airport i had to wait on the runway for 20 mins before we were able to get to the gate. this was after they had us in a holding pattern prior to landing. once i arrived of course i was at the end of the terminal and when i arrived at the baggage claim i had to wait 45 min for my luggage. then i had to wait an additional 20 mins for the park n fly bus to come pick me up. i didn't make it home until 11PM. 1.5hrs. after i landed. :crack:

US states I have been to:
Alabama
Tennesee
Mississippi
Florida
Louisiana
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
Maryland
Maine
Rhode Island
CT
Mass
New Hampshire
Ohio
Hawaii
California
Nevada
Arizona
DC
New York
West Virginia
Colorado
Texas
Penn

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
International travel is one thing. International business travel is another. The former is fun, the latter is grueling.

The only advantage is duty free - and that is only an interesting option if you have any energy left in you.

Build up your frequent flyer miles on domestic business travel, then take a Ms. I-Lo international vacation. :up:

you know having VAT returned to you is also nice. :up:

maybe Ms. I-Lo is already saving for her international vacation. :sexywink:

I think my Finnish friend is being a bit...uncautious. She had a bush fire come almost to her doorstep this summer past, I know it frightened her a lot. She has sold half her land and is splurging on her "dream holiday". I wouldn't do it. You only get to sell something once and you could end up with the neighbours from hell.
And for her jaunts to Asia, she works harder that any person should in a really demanding job ( domestic violence refuge) so she earns her vacations...big time imho.
She and I have a different opinion about travel. She thinks it is essential to make you fully developed as a human being. I have to wonder about those children that, by chance, are born into poverty and are lucky to stay alive, leave alone travel for the experience. I am sure those that reach old age consider themselves to be complete. It may be a genetic thing? the desire/need to travel?
I dunno....maybe because I'm not fully developed:eyebrow:

Tourism is the big catch-cry in Australia, the saviour of our economy. I see a lot of resorts being built at the expense of some very beautiful places and not employing THAT many people......just my humble opinion.

PS: cool oldies you've got there Bonoman 2002. Hit those books man...good luck.

lol@"not a hostel girl" ..one of hub's nieces is in the UK. She said she is a stilletos and brief-case kind of girl, not a backpack and boots type.:lmao:

PS: just thought I should say, I know meggannie was just kidding.
but you know me...I had the uncontrollable urge to tell the rest of the story

Sula girl--you have the right idea! International travel doesn't have to be a "<sigh> someday when I win the lottery" kind of thing. I've been overseas twice and each time it was on a budget. The first time we were lucky b/c my sister lived in germany, so we had a home base. The second time (just last Nov) we went to Ireland for a week--got the BEST deal on Yahoo travel. Had round-trip tix, a week car rental and a week of B&Bs for $399 each! It was late fall and rainy and all, but it was totally worth it! (OH, and we'll be going back for the next U2 tour, thankyouverymuch).

The world is so much smaller than you think. I got nervous in Germany and Paris and Vienna--I have NO German and bad French--but people, on the whole, are very friendly. And even those crap experiences (someday I'll tell you about the 45 hours of hell in Paris :ohmy: ) are still experiences that I wouldn't have had otherwise. It's an adventure.

And it is completely worth it to scrimp and save. A couple of movies and a dinner out can pay for a night in a B&B, easy. (oh and the B&Bs in Ireland are mostly nicer than "regular" hotels here in the states!). Cheap airfare IS available if you're willing to go nutty and go in the off season.

I can't push all of you who haven't hopped the pond to just DO IT! It might rain on you every day...you might encounter a rude person at a museum...and you just might have the best time of your life trying to figure out the menus, the city's subway systems, how to manage passports, and how to work the toilets!

GO!

:wave:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom