I'm jealous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guaca

Refugee
of you all. Jealous of that fact that you can do what you want, when you want to, without worrying about being responsible for anyone other than yourself. I hate being responsible right now - hate it hate it.

Damn. I wish I had the freedom you say we have.

There's nothing about my life that is without responsibility.

I own my own business.
I can never go out of town w/o a laptop bc of customer support and needs.
I am 24, so therefore do not live w/ my parents and thus, I pay all of my own bills w/ no help. Thank God.
I am about to buy a house.

I love being responsible, though.
I've always put accountability on my shoulders. always.
I wouldn't want to live without structure or boundaries. I require some sort of regimine.(sp?)

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 04-17-2002).]

Originally posted by WhackaMole:
of you all. Jealous of that fact that you can do what you want, when you want to, without worrying about being responsible for anyone other than yourself. I hate being responsible right now - hate it hate it.

I don't think that everyone here can do anything they want without being responsible for others. But it is true for me for the most part. I do love my independence and have consciously chosen that over marriage and kids. But there's a down side...like the two times I had to drive myself to the emergency room in the middle of the night.

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Ah let me clarify myself then.

I am married with 2 children, new house, temporary job and the list goes on.

When I say I am jealous of you and your freedom - what I'm saying is it would be nice to be responsible only for myself sometimes. Then if I fail, I'm only failing one person and not half a dozen if you know what I mean.

Before I came to this board i was perfectly happy to be a mom and to be with my family.

Now that I've met new friends, I so much want to go and do things that I don't have the freedom to do most of the time.

So yes, you are responsible and have alot on your plate and yes, I am still very much jealous.
smile.gif

If only what you said was true...

I am responsible not only for myself but for my 2 children, my husband's 2 children, my elderly grandmother, my God-daughter and everyone else in my family who feels that because I am financially comfortable, I have no worries and therefore, should always be available with my time and money.

I am responsible for the business my husband and I have run since 1994 and all of the taxes and headaches that come with self-employment. Our type of business has no set hours so that means working weekends, holidays, late nights and early mornings. If a report is due to a client and it means working until 3 a.m., that's what we do.

Sometimes I wish I could throw it all out the window and run away from my responsibilities but deep down, I also like being a responsible person. I come from a long line of irresponsible people and trust me, its not all its cracked up to be.

Originally posted by WhackaMole:
Ah let me clarify myself then.

I am married with 2 children, new house, temporary job and the list goes on.

When I say I am jealous of you and your freedom - what I'm saying is it would be nice to be responsible only for myself sometimes. Then if I fail, I'm only failing one person and not half a dozen if you know what I mean.

Before I came to this board i was perfectly happy to be a mom and to be with my family.

Now that I've met new friends, I so much want to go and do things that I don't have the freedom to do most of the time.

So yes, you are responsible and have alot on your plate and yes, I am still very much jealous.
smile.gif

You know what they say about the grass on the other side right.

Oh my spatula. Back I say, back or I'll have to get my stick out.
wink.gif

OK OK so you're telling me I have nothing to be jealous about because everyone has their own heap of responsibility. I understand all of your points.

Bono's American Wife - you sound like someone with alot on your shoulders and I respect that.

I am comfortable in my life but I am still jealous but I thank you all for trying to smack me for being so stupid in thinking that nothing is carefree.

Gee, I never thought admitting I was jealous would spark such comments and prompt me to apologize - my goodness that is sort of funny.

..but I'm still jealous..

don't apologize! It is tough having responsibilities...I'm only 20 but I have a lot of them. They prevent you from being really impulsive, but understanding them also keeps you from doing some really idiotic crap. Yep, in a lot of ways I'm glad I learned about responsibility early on, although sometimes I sound like I'm about 50 and my peers all yell at me.

Please don't apologize WhackaMole...you have every right to feel that way and nothing to be sorry about. I posted my response before I saw your second post and now that I see your original intent more clearly, I have to agree with you to a certain extent. I also sometimes wish that my mistakes or failures only affected me and not the people who count on me. So having read your post as you intended it, I totally understand where you are coming from.

Sometimes I'm jealous of my sister who works for minimum wage and does struggle to support her daughter but she has a pretty stress free life. She doesn't have much money or own a house but she seems happier that most people I know who "have it all"

I will admit that I typed my post right after I got a whopping tax bill from the IRS and was feeling kind of sorry for myself and didn't mean to come off like such a martyr...I do that sometimes
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:

I am responsible for the business my husband and I have run since 1994 and all of the taxes and headaches that come with self-employment. Our type of business has no set hours so that means working weekends, holidays, late nights and early mornings. If a report is due to a client and it means working until 3 a.m., that's what we do.

Sometimes I wish I could throw it all out the window and run away from my responsibilities but deep down, I also like being a responsible person. I come from a long line of irresponsible people and trust me, its not all its cracked up to be.

AMEN, sister.

I wish I could have said it like that.
Damn insomnia.

------------------
I can scream as loud as your last one, but I can't claim innocence.

it sucks being responsible. i am a single mom, even though i live with my mother, i am responsible for my rent, my half of the bills, groceries, my daughter's well-being, i rarely get help, i have no car, so everything i do is by bus or walking, i am determined to be independent, be able to raise my daughter with no help. it sucks sometimes, but i know it will benefit me in the long run. i know its not much responsiblity, but still hard. i wish i had that freedom of being able to make impulsive choices.

------------------
you've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice..

Back
Top Bottom