I'm going to have to live with bad music tastes!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightninja56

War Child
So, I'm going up to college in the fall (TCU), and I'm rooming with 2 of my best friends, and another good friend might be also going there and will always be in our room. They have very narrow music tastes..one guy loves to rag on U2, the White Stripes, and many of my other fave bands. My two actual roommates don't actually rag on me too much for it, but their music tastes are pretty much all screamo, which I can take a little of when I'm working out or sometimes driving..but otherwise :mad:

So i'm hoping they use headphones a lot, because I sure will. I have to have my music.

ON that note...I hope I don't start to hate these guys lol, because they do stuff that annoys the crap out of me..and I have to live with them.

Any tips?

No one does.

I hope they do get headphones, if not, spring and get them some noise cancelling ones so they'll be able to chill with them. Plus, you'll be in high esteem with them since you bought them something. Whoo-hoo, capitalism.

Ahh, capitalism. I'll walk into 9:00 A.M. Macroeconomics and say "God Bless Capitalism" and sit down.

:eyebrow: lol

But yeah, I'm also hoping I'll get enough privacy to play guitar and write songs and stuff. I know one guy will probably hassle me and stuff, but I dunno.

This is bound to be an experience.

Three people living in a space the size of a dorm room is never easy, even if you're all friends. Not long after you're moved in, I think it's a good idea that you talk about your schedules and lay down some ground rules. It's better to talk about things ahead of time than to wait until one of you has a test in the morning and the other two are still up and have music on and you end up fighting.

The only thing you can try to do is be courteous to each other. They have to listen to your music sometimes, and you have to listen to theirs. You probably won't all be in the room at the same time all the time, so you can each listen to your music on your own. I'd encourage you to get a set of noise reduction headphones and earplugs (if you're a light sleeper or need quiet to do work). Also, since you're going to a big school, you should have no problem finding lounges, coffee shops, and other places to study if you don't want to go to the library.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm gonna work on just setting some ground rules early on. Thanks for the advice!

Good luck!
Im off to college next year.
all of my friends are always on me about the stuff i listen to.
because i LOVE classic rock.
fallout boy sucks as do most new bands
stick to what you like and dont listen to anybody else thats what i do....
:rockon:

About the guy who always rags on U2 and the other bands: Once he starts again make it clear to him that he can think about these bands what he wants, but he should shut up about it, as you don't comment on his tastes.

It usually helps to be very clear on that one time, and they are silent for all times to come.

I could imagine to share one flat with other people, where everyone has his own room. I think I couldn't do with three people in one room. Good luck.

I wish you much fun with Macroeconomics. I'm just at the end of my second semester at uni. :)

Vincent Vega said:

I could imagine to share one flat with other people, where everyone has his own room. I think I couldn't do with three people in one room. Good luck.

Yeah, it's going to be kind of insane. I know all about their quirks and stuff, and I know some of it could get annoying. Blah. :|

btw, EdgeIsTooSexy and Vincent Vega, which colleges are you off to/going to?

I'm going to college in the fall too, and requested to room with a good friend of mine. We know each other's quirks, and also know when to tell each other when to stop doing something. I have good headphones for this reason though.

Good luck though! :up:

Great advice guys, I picked up some Sony headphones at Best Buy this week, for like $22, supposedly "studio monitor" headphones. The sound is great, but it seems that, if the input is moved too much, it crackles. I'm gonna try them out some more tomorrow, just to decide if I want to take them back or not. Anybody know some good quality headphones for fairly cheap? (in case I decide to return mine)

nightninja56 said:

Yeah, it's going to be kind of insane. I know all about their quirks and stuff, and I know some of it could get annoying. Blah. :|

btw, EdgeIsTooSexy and Vincent Vega, which colleges are you off to/going to?

It's the Berlin School of Economics. :)

elevated_u2_fan said:

Thank you

I'm glad I'm not the only person here who isn't "down" with the music the kids are listening to these days... :reject:

:wave: You can put me into that group also.

Good luck nightninja56, hope all goes well for ya.

U2democrat said:
^ Those sound expensive but cool!

yeah a friend of mine has some really great ones, for about $100, not too bad i think, but still too much for a college kid with minimal scholarship :huh:

these sonys arent too bad....might stick with them

oh and UberBeaver yeah sorry about not answering that...the wikipedia article summed it up pretty well, it's a pretty varied genre, stuff like underoath, haste the day, etc. (not necessarily my type of stuff, it's just that I'm around it a lot)

im looking at Wagner in NYC, Drexel, Eastern, Temple, Arcadia...[alot of philly colleges]

That's cool, I really don't know too many of those. Haha.

What are you planning on studying?

nightninja56 said:
Anybody know some good quality headphones for fairly cheap? (in case I decide to return mine)

Check Amazon for some Sennheisers. I got the HD-201s, their lower end headphones, for $20. They are great though, block out some noise, and have excellent sound for cheap headphones. Sennheiser is a great brand as well.

I posted the pair I have over in the U2 and Headphones thread over in EYKIW. They're on sale for $14.99 right now at Circuit City, and they block out a lot of background noise.

UberBeaver said:
WTF is screamo? Like Fall out Boy and all that shit?

Screaming + emo = screamo

:D

At least that's how my hXc friends describe it to me.

I hope I never have to get a roommate with bad music taste. I'd cry. :yikes:

Last edited:
It's hard for me not to laugh when I hear any type of screamo music.

How the people that make the music and listen to it take themselves seriously, I will never know.

LemonMacPhisto said:
It's hard for me not to laugh when I hear any type of screamo music.

How the people that make the music and listen to it take themselves seriously, I will never know.

:lol: I know.

I used to talk to this dude on another board who was into that crap. He would send me these incredibly lame tracks and it was generally torture, but I appreciated his attempt to introduce me to new things...I guess. :huh: We collaborated musically for a while, but all he did was write lyrics, so it wasn't harmful. :wink:

Actually, the drumming in a lot of screamo tracks is to be admired, really fast and crazy. The vocals, where the "screamo" label comes from, however, uh, leave a lot to be desired.

Back
Top Bottom