I'm going to be a Godmother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
My best friend back home, Amanda just found out that she is pregnant. It wasn't expected and she is only a day younger than me (we turn 24 next week)....but she has decided to keep it. And she wants me to be the Godmother!

Am I mistaken or are the main responsiblities to ensure my Godchild's spiritual growth....as well as spoiling them rotten? And taking the child in, if heaven forbid, something would happen to Amanda? I am so honored and excited. I'm not a confirmed Catholic but am a dedicated Christian...that wouldn't be a problem would it?

Lol, funny you should say that...She's going to be due in the late part of summer and I told her she's still getting her soon to be fatass to the U2 concert in her area with me!

And yes, I will make that child be a U2 fan (and if it's a girl, a Bono Babe!)...who knows I may never have a kid of my own at the rate I'm going.... My friends going to have lots of fun hearing my baby names ideas---U2 related of course! :macdevil:

Stars, I think you can be a godmother without being a confirmed Catholic. I'm not Catholic so I'm not sure if there's acutal legal documents involved when Catholic people name a godmother, but if your friend were to write a will, she would name you as the caretaker of the child (after the biological father). Maybe you only call it "godmother" if you're Catholic, but that doesn't mean you can help raise the baby. :cute:

:hyper:

She's going to be due at the end of the summer, which is great because I can fly back there and spend time with her and hopefully be there when she goes into labor! OMG....this is such a big deal....:faint:

She's my Bette Middler....it's a joke we've always had that we're best friends like the two women in Beaches....I'm her Barbara Hershey....:heart:

You don't have to be a Catholic to be a godmother to a Catholic child. In fact, there was once a "mixed" couple who had a baby. The mother was a Catholic and in my church; her husband was Presbyterian. The baby was baptized a Catholic as the couple had agreed to raise their children Catholic. The priest suggested that one godparent be Protestant and one Catholic. The parents chose one godparent from the Presbyterian church of the father and one from our parish. It was really nice.

Ok, this is strange Stars! I was honored to be my nephew's Godmother last Sunday. His baptism was at a Catholic Church and the Godfather had to be Catholic as only one Godparent can be a "Christian Witness".

It was so wonderful to see the water being poured over my nephew's head. He was awake and he looked up and smiled. :)

I am also a Godmother to my 21 year old cousin. I wish I had been more in tune with being a Christian while she grew up as I feel that I could actually provide something spiritual on top of the love I always have for her. In fairness to myself, my Godparents were given the name as a special title - but they never provided me with any spiritual guidance. In a lot of cases it becomes a tradition, not a responsibility.

My kids haven't been baptised yet. I knew then that I would be attending a Protestant church and the meanings are different. I felt that I should be a part of the Church and not just run in, have them baptised and then run out. I wasn't ready to join in yet. My older two kids don't want to be baptised now, so they'll have to figure that out during confirmation year. I hope to get my act together and get my four year old baptised this year.

Back
Top Bottom