I'm afraid of growing up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2zoogirl

War Child
I don't mean I'm afraid of getting wrinkles and that, but I'm afraid of being an adult and start to behave like one... I can't take seriously all the things that come to me, I always act like a child in classes, laughing and being so inmature, although I am a good student.

I have a big contradiction... sometimes I would like to be treated like a adult, a woman, But I don't like the responsability that it takes. I still wear childish clothes, people thinks that I'm younger, and guys threat me like I was made of glass, like someone who needs protection...that's cool for a while but I would like to be taken seriously...

U2zoogirl said:
... I always act like a child in classes, laughing and being so inmature, although I am a good student.

Me too...that is if I even go to class, and I wouldn't classify me as a good student so much... Now, I'm a recreation major so some childlike behavior is acceptable at times for me. :wink: I guess...

Still, I graduate in May and have no idea what I want to do with my life. For the longest time, I have said "I'll figure it out later." Later is now, and I'm not sure I'm mature enough to figure it all out!

So, this is my long way of saying I'm with you on this one.

I'm afraid that my mom and dad will find out I'm here posting.........

Do you know what its like for a near 53-year to be hanging around with all you "kids" ??????

A BLAST!!! :heart:

Mr. BAW

Don't worry about growing up; very few of us here do!!!! :yes:

Well I'm 31 and I still dont feel like growing up. lol. I mean I am responsible, have a job, car and apartment and all that jazz.. but as far as acting or looking young, you can do that for the rest of your life. No one says you cant! You are as young as you feel, age aint nothin but a number!

im 32 years old...just got a job, a new apartment, a new car, and i still feel like a kid. all these responsibilities make me wanna hide under my bed tho. like sicy said...age is just a number.

Sicy said:
You are as young as you feel, age aint nothin but a number!

agreed! i'm 34, and i don't feel 34. i mean true i have more responsibilities, but over all i still feel like i'm about 18. i think i even look like i'm still 18 too :laugh: at least people are always surprised when i tell them i'm 34 :silent:

and yes, credit cards are bad :down:

Yeah I agree. You're as young as you feel. I try to be as silly as I can be :D But that's cos that's the way I am. I still love my stuffed animals and my cartoons on saturday morning. And I'm going to be 24 this year

I never feel like I act my age....it's always either older or younger. :der: I like cutesy and childish things, like :heart:stuffed animals:heart:, children's books like Harry Potter and His Dark Materials, unicorns, Pingu, the Muppets, Hello Kitty, Super Nintendo, Zoo Tycoon, etc. I don't know what I want to do with my life (well, I do, but I can't do it:sigh: ). At the same time, I'm pretty responsible and mature and cannot stand being reliant on someone. I'm very independent and am always thinking about the future. I know people my age who are regarded as mature because they have nice furniture, own a house, like to go to trendy bars, buy expensive shoes, or whatever, but they're still getting money from their parents or have no goals beyond going to Home Depot the next day. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's just not for me.

sometimes I feel kinda grown up. But most of the time I'm still in the mind-set where I think people who are 20 are older than me (I'm 26)

I was good at being grown up in my early 20s. I had a job and rented a house and had a car and stuff. But then I decided that I didn't want to grow up yet, so I sold my car and quit my job and went backpacking for 3 months. Then when I got back I was completely skint so I had to move back with my mum. I'm still there now, nearly 2 years later :sigh:

oh, and I'm thinking of quitting my job again...this time to go and work on cruise ships. I think I'm definintely putting off being an adult :up:

hmm, never was that worried about growing up

it's the ending up alone in a mental institution part of my future that worries me

Last edited:
Do both. There are benefits to living both lives so why not keep them? I'm married with a mortgage and a child, I have 2 cars and debts up to my eyeballs. I go to warehouse hardware stores and look at paint samples. I can fix my own washing machine. I know how to change the cord on a whipper snipper. And yes, I can use the damn thing too. I know how to pay my own bills, to manage a house, my money, the lives of 3 people. I enjoy browsing department stores for furniture, kitchen sections are a love of mine, I adore power tools. I can lay a floating floor and tile your bathroom. I do my own taxes.
I am 27.
I also love getting blind drunk with friends and stealing street signs. I write WASH ME on the boots of cars in shopping centre carparks. I take bras off the racks in the undies section of the supermarket and put them on rockmelons in the produce section. I wear t-shirts with kiddie designs. I laugh like a hyena at stupid jokes. I listen to Eminem and don't give a damn who hears me. I am addicted to PS2 games. I am excited at the thought of Mario and Sonic being released on PS2 and will buy them when they come out.

On Monday I was 26, on Tuesday I was 27. I don't see any difference. If you tell me to act my age, I will ask you to define what that should be. You only ever know my age if I have told you first. This is the only life you are going to get, so you better live it how you like. May as well enjoy it.

I am almost 25. I am getting to be grown up. I have a degree and a 40 hr/wk job and a car. And I feel old.

So there.

BUT, I might change it all next year and go back to school!

:up: lifetime students

meegannie said:
I know people my age who are regarded as mature because they have nice furniture, own a house, like to go to trendy bars, buy expensive shoes, or whatever, but they're still getting money from their parents or have no goals beyond going to Home Depot the next day. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's just not for me.

I think people have a weird idea about being mature... I know people who laugh at me, because I wear bright colours and printed T-shirts, I quote every line from the Simpsons, or because I look too naive. I've never had the need of show how "woman" I am to get friends or a boyfriend.

I just don't want to fix.. I never did. I have big goals in my mind and I'm working to reach them, and I'm affraid that people could subestimate that just because they think I'm not too serious to achieve something... I don't wanna change anything about my apareance or the way I way, and that's what makes me feel a little frightened.

I have friends who spend all their time acting, well, grown-up. They're almost dead inside. My friend Mark is married, law-school, house, furnitues, new car, etc. I get phone calls from him every 3 months about how bad he needs a good night out-booze and rock bands. He's almost dead inside. She'll kill his spirit soon.

U2zoogirl said:
I don't mean I'm afraid of getting wrinkles and that, but I'm afraid of being an adult and start to behave like one... I can't take seriously all the things that come to me, I always act like a child in classes, laughing and being so inmature, although I am a good student.

I have a big contradiction... sometimes I would like to be treated like a adult, a woman, But I don't like the responsability that it takes. I still wear childish clothes, people thinks that I'm younger, and guys threat me like I was made of glass, like someone who needs protection...that's cool for a while but I would like to be taken seriously...

I'm pretty much the same way, especially the first part. Actually, I have had a real split lately--I'm the studious, mature half in class and the total, dorky goofball at work. Unless I'm really relaxed in the class. Either way, I have a real fondness for silly t-shirts, and run around in E.T. iron-ons or Happy Bunny most of the time, and get really into movies, music, hockey and other "unimportant" things and make jokes about everything. And those are things that aren't going to change!

I was told quite recently that I very much "acted my age" and that I couldn't date an older guy because I simply didn't have enough "life experience." It really bothered me, because everyone else had always remarked that I was more poised, balanced, mature, etc. And I don't feel like I have anything in common with most people my age and get along better with people who may be 10 years older than me. How do you define "life experience" anyway? Someone younger than me can have more, and I have more than some who are older...

It just confirmed one of my worst fears, that no one takes me very seriously at work--the majority of them are your "real" Adults: married, kids, house payments, etc. And so I have often been left out of "mature" discussions because they feel I simply have nothing to contribute...which I probably don't. They have shut the office and gone to have drinks "just to talk and vent" and I was not included, as if I don't get upset, stressed or scared about things. Apparently, I'm just young and carefree. :uhoh:

Oddly, this doesn't provoke anyone wanting to take care of me. Apparently, I have enough of a mouth and psychotic attitude that people, even guys, just leave me to fend for myself. Instead, the majority of guys who are attracted to me are generally more indecisive, almost "weak" and they want to lean on me. Which is really difficult, because I get down, and need someone to lean on and they can't help me.

So, there's my dilemma. I want people to see me as an adult, too, but I do need people to look out for me. I guess that's just defined as "a mess." :wink:

but thread related, i also dont feel like getting old. im in no rush to go out and have to live on my own and fend for myself... i much rather be taken care of. probably because im too spoiled as it is right now.

i didnt ask for one, my mom just got one for me. i wont complain though, its easier than carrying cash and worrying about losing cash.

i only spend on it what im told i can

I think you can chop and choose what sections of your life you need to grow up in and which ones it doesnt matter. I order radioisotopes for a living, the guy next to me neutralises potential chemical weapons, etc and round the office we go. This we take seriously but then we are also quite capable of detonating CO2 fire extinguishers on the boss. I wont mention the bicycle powered sausage cooking machine for which the nuclear physicists in my office are currently drawing plans. :|

I'm almost 37 years old and I don't want to grow up either! :lol: At least, not the "husband and two kids and house in the suburbs" definition of growing up. I like living in my tiny apartment and sitting around in my bathroom on Saturday afternoons not doing a blessed thing if I feel like it - which is exactly what I'm doing this afternoon! Yeah, and I can let the dirty dishes pile up for days if I feel like it! If I had kids and did that I'd feel like I was setting a bad example or something.

Back
Top Bottom