I'm afraid I'm making a HUGE mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkayet

New Yorker
Ok, so I finished my masters and now I"m looking for a job in a city where I used to live (currently staying with parents as I try to sort out job/home). I've heard from many, and remember from my time in this city, that you really need to live there to get a job there. So...I'm about to make a decision to just move first, then look for a job. I've potentially found a great place to live, albeit expensive. Very. But the whole city is...it's not a bad deal considering what I'm getting really. I've seen some scary options in the past week. Anyway, while everyone who knows my background seems to think I shouldn't have a problem finding a job once I'm here, I'm rather petrified. I have some faith in it working out, but once I commit to paying an insane amount of money for rent every month, without a job...but, it's a double-edged sword - I likely won't get a job unless I pay the rent. I plan on being here for a while too, once I do get a job, so I might as well take a good find when I find it. Right? Argh. Anyway, have people done this before with good outcomes? Does it seem a bit crazy? But if I don't do it, am I doomed to a life of job hunting all day at my parents' house in rural America?

rural america :mad:...at least you have a "somewhat big city" with in 20 minutes.

I haven't moved to a city without a job offer (or school) first. I have thought about it...and would. You should. I know where/what you speak of, and I am confident that you will find a job in the city you are going to. (Or, at least I THINK I know what you are talking about...we should catch up!)

yes, you do Jeff. :)
And maybe it's not 'rural' but after London, it's pretty close. ;)

I probalby shouldn't have even posted this, I was just panicking. I still am, but that's...just...expected, I suppose.

Jenn, just go do it! I know, I know, easier said than done, and I wish I could offer my place, but I have the roomies. If you need help with anything else (you know, food, moral support, encouragement, except money as I have none of that :D ), just give me a holler. Where did you find a place at?

And yeah, I'm sure you'll land a job. In the meantime, maybe you can do temp work???

just reading the title of the thread...

One word... Condom

reading the thread...

find the job first... that's the way to go

You could do what I'm doing....I'm moving to dublin in June, without a job to go to. I'm going to live in a hostel for the first month or so until I find myself a job. It isn't ideal, but it gets me out of a hole. Besides, I think that most landlords in dublin ask for employers references before they'll take you on, hence my hostel living

:|

Good luck - and don't worry - you'll be fine!!

bammo2 said:
You could do what I'm doing....I'm moving to dublin in June, without a job to go to. I'm going to live in a hostel for the first month or so until I find myself a job. It isn't ideal, but it gets me out of a hole. Besides, I think that most landlords in dublin ask for employers references before they'll take you on, hence my hostel living
That's very exciting though! :) Yeah, if I had gone for a new place or straight through the landlords, I doubt I'd have been able to get the place. I think your plan is great. At least you aren't locked in, and Dublin is so fun! Jealous... ;)

originiallyposted by dizzy Jenn, just go do it! I know, I know, easier said than done, and I wish I could offer my place, but I have the roomies. If you need help with anything else (you know, food, moral support, encouragement, except money as I have none of that ), just give me a holler. Where did you find a place at?
Thanks shelia!! :D I emailed you about where...i think you'll like it! ;)

Got your e-mail, Jenn...yay! :hyper: I have a new friend in the neighbourhood!

Good luck with the job hunting. Don't worry, I am poor too so we'll just have to do with cheap coffee shops and all. Oh and at least now, you don't have to worry about high taxes in DC and MD.

:wink: Hey Jk..did u know u can look up that city's job market on line and find out , #1, what jobs are most needed? what jobs are increasingly hiring...ones that are not hiring..etc..,? I found it one day looking for a job in MY city. Well, i know the warning people give u,..'never give up a job until u have one..'but I for one did move, taking the chance I would find employement there. and I did it twice!:wink: I'm rather adventurest, myself. One time, was when my girlfriend, having previously moved to London, UK by herself talked me into staying, instead of just traveling around the country. Well, it was always my dream to go to England..so I did it!! And u know what? It was the BEST decision I ever made for myself...I LOVED it there!! there wasn't anywhere I could not go..anything I could not do, best of all I was happy! I lived there for 6 months, worked like people do there(alot of Americans work there!)and I have been back to that city 4 x's since! It's just like my 2nd home!:wink: i also, moved to las Vegas..now that one I do think I should have researched more, going by myself and all, but I was young, not married yet, no kids..so y not? and u know what..i was happy there, too! So it depends on what u think u are made of..and what YOU want out of life! Life Is worth living..so if that's what u want? then go for it....tho i would prepare by saving some $$$, so u will not be so pressured to get ..just anything! know what I mean? Can take ur time deciding on a job..what one u want. Try it and see...what u got 2 lose? just my 2cents..or pence, there!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom