I'm addicted to tanning beds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
Because it's the first tan I've had in 20 years and, more importantly, the UV rays stimulate the hypothalamus gland which helps me sleep. I go for 10 mins. twice a week.

Until I learned about the benefits of limited exposure to UV rays, I made fun of people who went to tanning salons. Now I'm one of them. :reject:

all i have to do is stand outside on a really hot sunny day for 15 minutes and im good to go.

I love tanning beds too, and I like the way I smell afterwards when the coconut tanning lotion has seeped it's way into my skin. I find it really relaxing in the beds, and I often fall asleep. I find that 10 minutes of sleep there is like 3 hours of sleep in a bed.

icelle said:
all i have to do is stand outside on a really hot sunny day for 15 minutes and im good to go.

But I like to tan all over.

Interesting. :der:

Most of the girls I see with fake tans have an orangish tint to their skin :yuck:

Sicy said:
Interesting. :der:

Most of the girls I see with fake tans have an orangish tint to their skin :yuck:
\

That's because fake tans come from lotions that you apply and make you tan in a few hours = orange.

Tanning beds give you a real tan.

joyfulgirl said:
That's because fake tans come from lotions that you apply and make you tan in a few hours = orange.

Tanning beds give you a real tan.

mmm no.. the girls that work at those places all have orange skin :shrug:

I never used a tanning bed, and I limit my time in the sun. I'm fair skinned and burn easily. There is a history of skin cancer in my family, and I had an aunt and uncle (they were brother & sister), who died of skin cancer. My aunt who was my mom's twin sister died :sad: of melanoma cancer, which is the most serious.

hmmm . . .
Casper-white skin (vs) premature wrinkles, leathery skin, & missing flesh . . .

it's tough, but me personally, i'll opt for the casper-white skin.

. . . i had sun-bronzed skin at one time in my life (working as a lifeguard for 3 consecutive summers), but i paid by having to get a small chunk of skin removed from my back (trust me when i say that most doctors who have to remove cancerous or suspicious moles sure as hell don't treat it as though it were a fine, delicate surgery--cosmetic in nature). sadly, many people will end up paying a bigger price (as tiny dancer pointed out). still, that's not to say limited[/ sun exposure is bad for you--obviously it's important for certain biological functions/processes. just don't allow yourself to become addicted to tanning beds (if that is at all possible).

sorry if i dragged your thread down in any way with my rant.

i would never get a fake tan.
i can't help but naturally tan living out here in the desert.
i spend a lot of time at the river and on the lake so it just happens.

:shrug:

Me neither. I can lay out by the pool and get a tan in just a matter of days :wink:

A brown tan, not an orange one ;)

Truly no one I know who uses a tanning bed is orange. They look like they've been at the beach or in the desert sun. Maybe it's the lotion your friends use? :shrug: Don't know what else to say about that!

I would like to point out what I said in the first post, which is that the most important reason I go to the beds is for the UV rays which stimulate the hypothalamus which regulates sleep patterns. Notice how tired you get after a day on the beach? I've been an insomniac my whole life--this really helps me. It's one of those things that is helpful in small doses and harmful in large ones.

The tan is a fun side effect since I am generally fair-skinned and tend to stay out of the sun. But since I've moved to the desert I've been getting a little more sun each year just walking around, otherwise I couldn't handle the beds. I never had a tan when I lived in NYC.

And finally, ten minues twice a week will never make me leathery, ever! My skin doesn't do that.

Back
Top Bottom