I'm a failure. An angry one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
Tomorrow is the day my MA dissertation is due. I, however, have no dissertation to hand in and am therefore going to fail my MA.

And I'm really, really, really upset about it.

As loads of people here know, I've had a horrible year and struggled a lot with depression, loneliness, and the general lack of organization/support in my programme. I managed somehow to get all of my work done the first semester and did surprisingly well on everything, but it all got to be too much by May and I had to claim extenuating circumstances and hand my last two essays in late. I had an incredibly difficult time concentrating enough to write, despite the fact that I'd spent months researching and had over 40 full pages (typed) of notes on each topic. It took literally hours to write each sentence, and the quality of my work on the last essay was much lower than usual (I'm sure it was good enough to pass, but I never heard back from the professor [my dissertation supervisor] about it, so I don't even know what marks I made on any of the coursework for that module).

Anyway, to make a long story short, so many things went wrong that I decided that it was best for my health and sanity to just give up on my dissertation until I was actually capable of writing it and could gain some sort of satisfaction from it. I sent the following email to the person in charge of the history MAs and to my dissertation supervisor:

"I am writing to request information on the process of applying to defer my dissertation submission for a year due to extenuating circumstances. Although I have attempted to develop my thesis, continue my research, and write the dissertation, it has proved beyond my capabilities at this time. As you know, I applied for extenuating circumstances due to depression this year and that, combined with a hectic summer in which I have gotten married and am currently in the process of moving and looking for a job, has made completing my dissertation impossible. Difficulties in registering with a GP for the summer, complications with medications, having had my bag containing my student ID and some of my notes stolen in July, confusion regarding the dissertation-writing and supervision process, and financial strain have also compounded the difficulty of working on my dissertation. Given the time and money I have invested in this degree so far, I do not want to simply give up, nor do I want to submit a piece of work that is of low quality and below my potential. I do not know whether it is possible to obtain an extension and defer graduation for a year, but under the circumstances it appears my only option. Please could you advise me as to whether there is any chance, and if so, what the next course of events should be. I am sorry for any inconvenience this causes you. "

I got a return receipt from both of the professors saying my message had been opened, but neither of them replied. That was five weeks ago. :| So I emailed them again on Friday, and emailed the contact person listed on the School of History's website about the possibility of just getting a postgraduate diploma rather than an MA (basically the same, except without the dissertation). Still no replies.

I feel like such a loser. I have no motivation to do anything anymore and absolutely no confidence whatsoever because this whole experience has been so soul destroying. I've gotten so used to things going wrong in the past year that I've just come to expect the worst of everything. I've always done really well academically and been very responsible and independent. I've wanted to get a degree in England since I was about 12. I worked for two years to save up enough money to do this MA, turned down funding from another university because Nottingham was my first choice, and took out $18,500 in loans. I put up with the year from hell -- crappy housing, no friends, poor departmental organization and student support, badly structured classes, an unprofessional and incompetent health centre, and still managed to do well in all of my modules, yet have nothing to show for it except a lot of debt. :sad:

:angry:

I'm sorry Meggie :hug:

I think your note is fabulous, and I think it's a good idea that you sent a follow-up note since you hadn't heard from anyone.

Don't give up - I had a crap 1st year of college (2 D's and a C) and was sure veterinary medicine was not in my future. I know you are further along, but don't give up. You've had a hell of a year and you need time to recover. I'm praying that they will be accomadating in giving you extra time to get this done :hug:

OK...you post certainly makes my "I hate closed threads" post look incredibly whiney....

I'm sorry things haven't worked out the way you wanted them to and hope you are able to get the extra time you need. Is there any way you can set up a face to face meeting with the twp professors? Perhaps at least then you will know what their decision is, and that would be one thing settled.

I understand just how hard it is sometimes to even get out of bed in the morning, let alone do anything constructive (I'm dealing with depression issues myself). Just try to take one step at a time (even very tiny steps help get you where you are going) and give yourself credit for any progress you make. You've already done a lot in your life -- heck, I'm really impressed! I've no doubt you will be able to get your life back of the track you wish to take. I'm sending good vibes your way!

Last edited:
Earning advanced degrees certainly can be hell. My fellow grad students and I all developed various neuroses while writing our theses, and I know I spent many late nights in a hopeless state of desperation. Just keep going, keep working, keep doing your best. I hope they will be able to grant you the extension you need. I sympathize deeply!!!! :hug:

:hug:

You are not a loser. You are an intelligent, caring, penguin loving person. Don't give up your educational dreams because of some bad luck. I'm sure some good luck is just waiting to find you. Follow up on your emails and if you don't hear from them, contact their immediate superviser(s) and advise them of your situation.

Hang in there :up:

Hang in there, meeg. I'm going through something kind of related--at least in the sense of having worked really hard at something and having nothing to show for it.

It'll sound kind of cheesy, but I will say that when you think you *have* nothing, you still have your relationships with other people, into which you put a lot of work AND receive enormous dividends in the form of support and compassion in return. Your friends, your husband (yes? you got married right?)...they'll be there for you, because even though this MA did not go as planned, you are NOT a failure as a kind, smart, loving human being.

I just want to give you some virtual hugs (((((((meegannie))))))))). Hang in there. You did everything you could, and I'm sure it will work out, but that really doesn't help this minute, does it? The most important thing you can do is take care of yourself right now. Maybe you could have someone else act as an advocate for you - even a lawyer, should that be necessary. Someone who can help to get what you need from the university, while allowing you to get things together. It isn't over, even when the deadline passes - you can still appeal, so don't let the deadline depress you further. Life is good, and will be good for you - sending positive thoughts your way.:heart:

Meggie, you are NOT a loser. I think you are the one of the sweetest people I have met here, and I know that good things will come your way because you deserve them.

Now...go get a hug from that lovely hubby of yours...and smile.

I hope someday you will realize just how wonderful you are.

I am in the process of completing a BA (hons), and I have learnt the hard way that email doesn't work! Call your supervisor, or better still, go and talk to him/her in person, if you can. That way, you will get results - or, at the very least, you will know your options. Good luck!!

I agree that emails to organisations (and I use the term lightly) like these tend to have no effect
it's a sad fact but phonecalls are indeed the way to go

good luck :hug:

i dont reply to threads like this.your plight reminds me of myself and many friends

hang in there.

you've made it this far, in spite of all the troubles.

dont worry about the bigger picture. there will be a job out there for you.

:up:

nothing is more frustrating than when the administration fails to respond.

:hug: Meggie :hug:

You know I used to have a really high opinion of nottingham university. It's renowned as the 3rd best uni in the UK, and everyone really respects it. However, after working for them for a year, and then seeing the way you've been treated, and they way they treat my sister (she works in the George Green Library there) I believe they severly need their asses kicking.

Case in point - my sister has worked for the library for 4 years, whilst she does a part time distance learning MA (through a different uni, thank god) in information and library services. She started on a training wage, and was told that she would get a raise after 6 months. She is still on that training wage. This is despite the fact that she is one of the most competant people in the department, and is solely responsible for training a lot of new starters. She complained a couple of years ago, and they told her she had to wait for the restructuring of the whole pay system that was taking place. So she waited. After which they told her that they were still going to pay her a training wage. But she can't leave because they have paid 1/3 of her fees for her MA. There's a lot more suckiness to that story, but I don't want to whine too much in meggie's thread....

Oh, and the internal pay review that happened screwed all of the support staff.. and they've just done another one that screws the academic staff. So now the union for higher education establishment in the UK is proposing a boycott of nottingham university - withdrawing all support and assistance, and advising no members to consider working there or using their research facilities

I hope Nottingham Uni goes to hell :angry:

Oh, and Meggie - call them and ask to speak to the head of department. Or the Dean. Don't get off the phone until you've actually managed to get an answer out of the arseholes.

then send them some dog poo in the post :angry:

I don't know what to say to you but I think I might be able to make you feel slightly better, because in a strange way your post made me feel slightly better.
It's not me and it's certainly not you.
You see I have had possibly one of the least enjoyable years of my life as a History and Politics Student at the University of Nottingham. Over the summer I agonised about returning and I thought the Second year would be different, two weeks in it's no different, the administrative ineptitude of the History Department is quite staggering and I have already had major problems with them.
I can also sympathise with your sense of dissapointment; for me this has been two fold, with the whole University experience in general but also with what I guess you have had trouble getting your head round; which is, how on earth has this University got the reputation it has got, and why is it so obsessed with money.
The social situation is also very strange for those who have interests beyond the consumption of alcohol.
Nottingham wasn't my first choice but for me like you coming here was supposed to be the reward for working hard and if I had my time over agin I wouldn't be here in a million years.
I can't offer quite as useful an insight into the Post-Graduate side of things but if it's anything like the Under-Graduate side of things I can sympathise fully and like you I know I am not going to produce what I am capable of here and I'm starting to worry about my employment prospects but I'm sure you'll be fine.
I think I would like to finish on one main point: the [insert expletive of your choice here] University Of Nottingham is not the be all and end of life, I understand you feel you've wasted a lot of effort and money but with my hand on my heart I can say that you are not the first and sadly wouldn't be the last and you are better equiped to deal with it than most would be.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for making me feel a bit better. :) I can't go to the university to speak to anyone in person at the moment since I'm living in Norwich now and can't afford to spend money on a train journey unless I know things will be taken care of then and there. I've emailed the school secretary and the International Office about it, and if no one emails me by Wednesday, I'm going to call and find someone who can tell me my options. :mad:

Thanks especially to bammo and tarquinsuperb for your posts. I'm glad to know it's not just me who's had a major problem with the university (or with the History Department!), but at the same time it makes me even angrier that their incompetence seems to be so widespread (and yet they still have such a good reputation). :angry: And here I was thinking I was just being a stereotypically bitchy American. ;)

:hug: I know we've chatted about this, so I won't go on and on...but you know I think you're absolutely the best and I'm here if you need anything!

Back
Top Bottom