I will have this implanted in my head!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandyMarie

Acrobat
000_0385.jpg

It's the Envoy Esteem middle ear implant! I was born with a sensorineural hearing loss, which means some of the thousands of hair cells inside the cochlea are damaged and cannot process sound as they should. The Esteem (fully implantable) is being tested in clinical studies, and as a patient of the study, I will be implanted with this device on June 18th. Yep..then I will be an official metal head!! :rockon:

Seriously though, I am very excited. This will change my life, and possibly the lives of my children years from now, as they are also hard of hearing. I will no longer have to lip-read or use closed captions, and I will no longer have to feel alienated from conversations when it's too noisy or too dark to see. I will be able to listen to U2's music with a clarity I cannot now comprehend, and hear the many things in the music that some of you discuss, that's impossible for me to hear. I can go to college without the stress of not knowing if I can keep up with my classes. I can go to the movies and understand more than 5% of the dialogue. And there's so much more!

The downside is I will be completely deaf for two months while the implanted ear heals. And I have three kids. :help: Oh well, small price to pay... I will have a remote to change programs, though unfortunately for my sneaky husband, it has to be placed on my head to change settings. Even more unfortunate for him, I can turn the device off when I wanna tune him out. :love:

I'm keeping a detailed journal for anyone who would like to know more, complete with extra pictures. Feel free to stop by!
http://alreadygone78.livejournal.com/

Wow technology is amazing these days :ohmy:

I'm going to move this to Zoo Confesh as its more of a personal topic and IO is more of a silly off topic forum. :)

:heart::applaud::yes::hug:Go 4 It!! I can't imagine being in your shoes one day! If Tech. can improve your life n' hearing..so be it! When you wrote it would help you to hear u2's music more clearly...almost made me cry mandy!:sigh:

I wonder if you will set off alarms at airports :giggle: My mom had hip replacement in the 70s and had to carry a doctor's note with her in case she set off the alarm.

Best of luck on your surgery. I hope this works out for you
luck.gif
:hug:

Thank you, guys! :hug: I was just talking to Carlos about having my iPod with me the day I am activated, and not knowing which song to choose as my first..he suggested "Miracle Drug." I don't think it could get much better than that!

Lila, I haven't heard that anyone has set off any kind of detectors yet, but I will have a card to carry with me in case I do. Knowing my luck though...

That's wonderful and very exciting. :) Good luck with your surgery and recovery time.

How is this device different from a cochlear implant, or is it somehow a type of cochlear implant?

WOW, it'll open up a whole new world for you :happy:

now you and bionicGluey can get together and have super human contests:hmm:

:hi5: Welcome aboard the bionic train!!! :rockon:

Seriously though, Mandy Marie, I am hugely excited for you. I'm forever amazed at what can be done to help people these days. I can't even begin to fathom the exciting new world this will open up to you!! :hug:

i whish you all the very best for your implant and hope all goes well, and my heart is just busting for you to hear u2 clearly for the first time, that really touched me. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Wow - that is so cool! I hope it's successful and will really improve your hearing.

I can't imagine what it will be like to hear things better and more clearly for the first time. That's gotta be incredible!

000_0385.jpg

The downside is I will be completely deaf for two months while the implanted ear heals. And I have three kids.

I can think of a number of parents who'd wish they could be deaf for two months :wink:

Congratulations on the implant though, I really heart science :love:

:dancing: hooray for technology!
Best of luck to you - can't wait to read all about the exciting discoveries you will be making once your ears are switched on!

:reject:
for some reason that annoying Cliff Richard song 'wired for sound' is going through my head :whistle:

Thanks for the 'good luck' wishes! It truly is amazing how far technology advances over the years. Since my loss is hereditary and my children are also HoH, it's nice to know that this could benefit them and possibly their own children one day. :)

Lila, my favorite U2 song changes often, but at the moment it's "Gone" :drool:

Surgery was successful!

Went in to surgery around 8 a.m. Wednesday morning, and came back out around 3 p.m. Everything went really well. Wasn't too crazy about trying to fight off the anesthesia though, I quickly realized I was fighting a losing battle there!

Even though they implanted my worse ear, it's still much more difficult to hear than I thought it would be, since I can't hear out of the implanted ear at all. I now have to wait two months for the ear to heal before I can be activated. I updated the blog and posted a few pics for those who are keeping up with it. The pics aren't too graphic, although I look like shit, lol.

Building My Self Esteem

Any nurses around? Is it normal for numbness to come and go around the surgical site? It gives me the oddest sensation - feels like my ear is just hanging by a thread, ready to fall off, lol.

Back
Top Bottom