i went to see a movie all by myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate going to the movies, period. Maybe I should try going by myself. Sounds like it's more enjoyable that way. :wink:

As for eating alone, I love it. I usually have something to read, though. And that's why I like eating alone--it gives me time to catch up on reading and thinking.

this topic came up yesterday when I was talking to my girlfriend on the phone yesterday. She is being driven nuts by a woman who just will not stop visiting her. She turns up everyday and stays for hours....and hours and eats....and eats. We discussed her, and my diagnosis is that she has some problem with being alone. I think she really needs counselling ( old grief from parents dying when she was young, deadbeat husband left her a year ago but she still cares for him)

We mentioned another friend who was left by her husband and the first time she went to a restaurant on her own she freaked out and has never done it again. I don't think I'd like to be at a restaurant on my own....I don't go to restaurants so I'll never know.
Anyway, just something that came up here. I feel sorry for the woman, but she needs to be able to find peace and strength within herself. She might have a gambling problem and eating disorder too...oh dear. How do you politely suggest someone gets professional help?

cass said:
this topic came up yesterday when I was talking to my girlfriend on the phone yesterday. She is being driven nuts by a woman who just will not stop visiting her. She turns up everyday and stays for hours

I have a friend like this and I will only see her in a restaurant or a coffee shop and I always have to dash off to an appointment after about an hour. I was very direct with her in telling her that I couldn't be her therapist and that she needed to get some real counseling. It was easy with her, though, because she is already pretty self-aware and she also sensed her friends pulling away so she was actually eager to get some therapy. She is soooo much better now after a couple of years of counseling.

martha said:
I go to movies, concerts, restaurants, foreign countries, and rock and roll museums alone. I love going places alone.

:up: birds of a like feather
:hug:

martha said:
I go to movies, concerts, restaurants, foreign countries, and rock and roll museums alone. I love going places alone.

All of the above except foreign countries (soon to change i hope)

I like doing things with people but if I waited for people to do things then I would not have been able to do over 70% of the things I have done. (DId that make sense?)

I've gone to concerts alone
I've eaten alone
I've seen movies alone (a lot, 15 actually)
I've gone to soccer games alone (watch AND play... sometimes)

All those mainly because I got tired of asking people to go with me... it sucks going alone to the movies because nobody wanted to go with you, when you go alone by ypurself, it's great.

For those who are wandering... ALONE MOVIE LIST:

-Saving Private Ryan (10/6/98)
-The Truman Show (10/16/98)
-Castaway (02/2/01)
-Requiem For A Dream (12/26/01)
-LOTR: Fellowship (01/9/02-14:45)
-Monsters Inc. (01/9/02-19:10)
-Apocalyps Now Redux (somewhere along the way)
-David Lynch's Old Guy Movie (don't remember) (04/8/02)
-The Ring (01/13/03)
-LOTR: The 2 Towers (01/28/03)
-X Men 2 (04/30/03) Premiere
-Bowling For Columbine (07/5/03)
-Matrix Revolutions (11/5/03) Premiere
-Kill Bill Vol. 1 (12/15/03)
-LOTR: King's Return (12/17/03-00:20) Ultra-Premiere

All alone... not bad, eh?
The only bad thing is when you leave and want to talk about the movie... :(

PEPO

pepokiss said:

All those mainly because I got tired of asking people to go with me... it sucks going alone to the movies because nobody wanted to go with you, when you go alone by ypurself, it's great.

exactly...

i like going to concerts alone...or at least when it's a band i love and i don't have to drive super far or anything...

as for movies, i buy into the societal view a bit too much probably...i mean, i think it's great to go alone to a film, but i've just never done it and don't know that i'd feel totally comfortable doing it. :shrug:

cass said:
this topic came up yesterday when I was talking to my girlfriend on the phone yesterday. She is being driven nuts by a woman who just will not stop visiting her. She turns up everyday and stays for hours....and hours and eats....and eats. We discussed her, and my diagnosis is that she has some problem with being alone. I think she really needs counselling ( old grief from parents dying when she was young, deadbeat husband left her a year ago but she still cares for him)

We mentioned another friend who was left by her husband and the first time she went to a restaurant on her own she freaked out and has never done it again. I don't think I'd like to be at a restaurant on my own....I don't go to restaurants so I'll never know.
Anyway, just something that came up here. I feel sorry for the woman, but she needs to be able to find peace and strength within herself. She might have a gambling problem and eating disorder too...oh dear. How do you politely suggest someone gets professional help?

Sorry Cass but I originally misread your comment and left a bitchen story about nothing....label me a dumbass for this one! Okay folks, move on, nothing to read here!!! :LAMO:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom