i want to talk to a third reich nazi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
dont know if this is a real confession or not, but i feel quite guilty for this feeling.

i know there are a few ss (einsatzgruppen maybe?) men around my area, but i dont know how to go about finding them. id just like to talk to them and hear what it was like.

obviously i dont condone what they did.

it would be very interesting.

and this is a confession.

not sure why.

i live in a very german/russian area, in fact i am both german and russian myself. have any of you talked to a vet of ww2 on the german side?

You show a real and genuine interest in that period of history and there is nothing wrong with it. Its understandable you are wary people might get the wrong idea by your legitimate interest and see it as support for their actions, but on this board it doesn't come across like that. I dont know you in real life but I expect its the same there.
The kind of stuff that occured is fascinating to many. You dont want to be getting confused about the interest becoming a propensity for supporting atrocity bear. You are not the type by all appearances. My father in law had an avid interest that perhaps equalled yours. Every Chrsitmas/birthday/fathers day he would get books and videos and anything else we could find on Hitler's Henchmen, Goebbels, the torture techniques, Hess, Bio's, the SS, youth camps, the training camps, concentration camps, germany in general during that time frame. You name it. it was all fascinating. Its an unsettling interest for sure, but bear as long as you have that element of repulsion when reading or studying it you wont become complacent and therefore dont need to worry.
I wouldn't have a clue about finding out who the ex SS are in your area, sorry. I would think that kind of thing is not advertised a lot?

Just dont become the next Apt Pupil eh bear.

Hey, I thought of the Apt Pupil, too. Only, Brad Renfro is a very handsome juicy fine young-limbed pupil...

Kate Bush wrote a song that sprung from a similar fascination to yours, deathbear, called Heads We're Dancing.

You could check out the films and documentary photographs of Leni Riefenstahl.

There is also a doco called Blind Spot. Hitler's Secretary and is a "90-minute portrait in which Traudl Junge talks to the camera about Hitler and life inside the Third Reich... She remembers a 'pleasant boss and fatherly friend', but avows, 'the older I get, the more guilt I feel' ". (quote from Variety)

foray

dude... that's no confession... that's life. very interesting life can be. once again, it's been too long. let's talk.

well thank ya.

angela harlem, thank you for taking note of where im at. i am deeply moved by it all...

or at least i used to be.

now it seems ive become numb to it all. the word massacre can be used in so many different instances for the nazis, i really dont take stock and realize the horror of it all anymore.

its amazing how many people they killed.

they say about 20 million people died directly from the nazi's.

and they were only in COMPLETE power for just over a decade.

alright thats about it.

i've got that interest too

i really love the WWII era. there was so much dynamic going on. and i think that we are coming up on another time period that will be similar in many ways to that era.

i've been to a concentration camp. i went to mauthausen in linz, austria. it was hitler's favorite city and he wanted to build a huge mansion which would overlook the camp. there, they made the prisoners drudge huge boulders up from a cravass during the day, and have others push them back down at night. in there, there was this silence that was like the worst thing i've ever heard. i mean, there were birds and things, but they were silent. everyone was just shocked to be there. i saw the showers and storage areas and the crematories. all i could do was stare. it was too horrid to comprehend, but the visit put all of it into a newer perspective. there was a little graveyard there, where the allies buried all of the prisoners who were liberated but died shortly thereafter.

if you want more perspectives on it, i suggest reading the book "night" by elie wiesel. if you can't find it, i will mail it to you, that's how important this book is.

So do I.

I have a genuine interest in WWII. I just find it facinating. I've read so many stories on the Holocaust, seen films, done studies in school. I enjoy getting veery perspective. There are so many stories out there, both tragic and heatwarming - evry one worth hearing, despite which sie. I wouldn't mind hearing a nazi side - just to see what they were thinking.

Hitler's Nazis killed 20 million peopele. Not just Jews, but gypsies, the ill, and the Slavic people (Slavic people being Russians, Poles, Yugoslavs.....my family's ancestors). It's amazing to think that so much destruction was cause in such a short time. That an entire race of humans was almost annilated....

If you ever have the time, visit the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. It's chilling.

Read Schindler's List. The movie is excellent. The book is underrated.

Pride yourself on getting the story, on KNOWING. B/c knowledge is the only way that the world can ensure that this will never happene again.
Lilly - I'm looking for that book.

Sorry if that was out of line bear. I still think there is a difference with being familiar with the atrocities than to outright condoning them. After a time, any ongoing contact with reading or studying of such acts will lose its bite, and you wont feel as shocked anymore, but I still cant see you as having an unhealthy obsession with it.

I'm actually on a bit of a world war I kick right now, there's something fascinating about the buildup, the complex pattern of treaties and the utter pointlessness of the whole thing. At least World War II had a cause of sorts.

Back
Top Bottom