I want to light someone on fire.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unforgettableFOXfire

I serve MacPhisto
Okay... well... not yet... but maybe in a couple of weeks if this crap keeps up:

My girlfriend works in the mall. A guy called her work today, and my girlfriend's coworker Sarah picked up the phone, and this guy said something like 'Is Cait working today? She's not? She promised me something I asked for would be in today (he didn't say what, of course). You know, she's (insert perfect, unnecessarily detailed description of my girlfriend here). Can you tell me when she's working next?'

Sarah said that she (Cait, my girlfriend) no longer worked there, even though she was actually working on the floor at the time. I have my doubts that this will be a wholly effective detterent, mind you, but I'm going to go in to the mall and thank her for saying it anyway on my next day off.

My girlfriend has no idea who it might have been that called, and made no such arrangements or recall any sales or conversations that even resembled whatever this guy was talking about, and is quite freaked out right now. If it was anyone she actually knew, she has a cellphone, and they would have just called her cellphone. This is someone who doesn't know her. Evidently there's someone out there who knows her name, knows what she looks like well enough to give a vivid description, went to the trouble of finding out her work number (which, isn't that hard mind you, I mean, she works in a retail store in a mall, no big challenge there), and has tried to dupe people into giving him more personal information about her. This, as far as I'm concerned, is a stalker and nothing less.

Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that her other coworkers (mostly just the two dumb ones I don't like) don't do something retarded like blab her home phone number or where she lives, because that will complicate things to an end that I would rather avoid if possible.

I, partly because I know that I can't be with her 24/7 and am fearful that something might happen. My girlfriend is a smart girl, she's strong enough, she can take care of herself, but even so... I can't help but be worried.

I also can't help but be furious about it either. There are certain ways to go about trying to talk to someone that don't involve duplicity and remaining completely unknown to the person you're seeking. I hardly think that being as impersonal as possible, like using the telephone rather than trying to talk to someone face to face, is a 'proper channel' so to speak in terms of trying to gain someone's acquiantence. While there are a number of reasons why this is, perhaps, an efficiency; there are also a lot of reasons why its creepy: Sure, maybe it saves you a trip to the mall, but what it tells me is that you want to remain as anonymous as possible and to avoid having her coworkers know your face. But maybe my imagination is a little too active, and I watch too many A&E Cold Case Files criminology reports.

I don't really believe there's some whackjob out there with that sort of end in mind; but I'm also not willing to deny the possibility. That's mostly because there's nothing about what this guy has done that doesn't seem extremely, extremely shifty to me. But I'm also a suspicious person, maybe this is actually just some 15 year old with a crush. I know I need more details, but still... I mean, I'm not totally overreacting, am I?

Guys hit on her at school and stuff, and that's not a big deal for me. Their presence is known, they're not doing anything that's completely abnormal, they're just being university guys. University guys hit on university girls. There's no air of secrecy about that, and I know I can trust my girlfriend. But when someone starts this dodgy telephone crap... It makes me uneasy.

If he keeps pursuing her like this (by that I mean, in the shady manner which I feel he is), God help him if I find him out. My poor nerves are going to be shot, and I can only imagine how my girlfriend will feel. I really, really, really, really, really hope it's nothing. Seriously. :slant:

Hey man, best of luck.

I know that's how I'd feel too, but I really can't imagine it. I hope it works out alright. I don't have any real advice, but I'm sure some other people here will.

Unfortunately, I think you have every reason to be suspicious or concerned...

That's creepy, Jeremy. :| I hope her co-workers are smart enough to want to protect her from this, too.

Hopefully it's nothing more than a harmless kid with a crush, but I understand your wanting to be "too" careful (as if there was such a thing). You're a good boyfriend, good luck and I hope it ends up being nothing. :hug:

Well, at least I'm not crazy then I guess... although I'm not sure that it makes me feel better about it, really. Bleh. Once I'm done work on Sunday night I have a month off work and at least two more weeks off school, so I might just drop in on her at work this week... at the end of all of her shifts... so that someone doesn't suprise her in the parking lot or something. :shifty:

Edited because I can't type 'weeks' properly.

I think you are right to be concerned although hopefully it comes to nothing. I had a similar situation once when I worked at Walmart. They were great though and even my dense manager at the time knew enough to be supportive. They told creepy that I had been fired and for legal reasons they could not release any info on me (completely false but it stopped him from trying any more, and he lived out of town so wasn't able to come and check). I think as an extra precaution (definitley meet her after work) she should approach her employer and have them issue a reminder that no personal information (including confirming someone is an employee) should be released to anyone. That might help the two other employees you are worried about to get the message. Hopefully none of it is needed but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

OW!! Shit man I swear I didn't know she was your girlfriend. Stop, drop and roll! Stop, drop and roll!

Seriously though, don't sweat what you can't control but since the telephone seems to be this guys way of stalking your girlfriend caller ID would be the way to find out who he is.

starsgoblue said:
While him calling sounds strange, I don't think it's stalker territory yet.

yeah thats what i was thinking...

if he's called repeatedly than its a problem, if it was just one phone call then i don't think you've got too much to worry about.

it could be a guy who came into the store, saw your g/f (not knowing she was someones girlfriend) or had her help him with something and took a shine to her. so he thought he would try get to know her better and that would be by speaking to her or coming into the shop again - its not illogical for him to use the one place he knows her from - her workplace - to try to get to know her.

personally i dont think there's anything wrong with that - he's not to know she has a boyfriend or anything like that and he's probably seen a pretty girl, quite liked her when he spoke to her in the shop and thought he'd have a go.
people do that all the time, in work, in bars, through friends etc.
if we didn't take a chance to get to know strangers we'd never meet anyone.i have a mate who goes to starbucks about 4 times a day for one of the girls ther - so far its paid off...!

once again, i dont know the full story - he may have called repeatedly and done weird things on the phone - and to be fair, there was obviuosly something that made your g/f's work colleague uneasy when she took the call otherwise she wouldn't have lied about her working there.
that said, i still wouldn't worry about it - he called her work, it doesn't mean he's going to stalk her in the parking lot :shrug:

While it was only one phone call, it does seem weird. His aggressive manner just seems off.

I hope he lays off and gets the message that she's not there anymore.

Hopefully he doesn't go to the store to check it out for himself.

Good luck!!

Stalkers behave repetitively so if he never calls back, it's probably a good sign that he mercifully doesn't belong in that category.

I would encourage your girlfriend to not go to her car or any isolated place in the mall by herself. That he knew so much about her, but she didn't know him, would creep me out. I think a bit of extra caution is warranted.

jezuz

everybody

it's just steve martin

and he is going to improve and change her life in ways that are not imaginable

Hey man, find the best wing chun teacher around and go to classes with your girl there. It would be a good oppertunity for the both of you to do something together.

now, you can take up some other second rate martial art, but, that's your call. Either way, though, self defense is always something nice, and at least it's something you can "do".

up to you, though

Well, she's home for Christmas now, and there haven't really been any problems since... so, I'm thinking that she's in the clear, at least for now.

Here's keeping my fingers crossed for the next little while that it's actually nothing. Nothing would make me happier.

She wouldn't be up for the martial arts thing, I'm guessing. Neither of us have the time right now, and she doesn't have the money.

Thanks everybody :up: Merry Christmas :D

Sounds to me like the whole thing was heresay....the call (again doesn't sound like there was more than one?) did not get directly to the g.f. Not much you can do unless the caller strikes again. Until then no sense in perpetuating the issue or scaring your g.f. Common sense should dictate using caution if she lives alone, travels alone or whenever she is in those situations. Contact authorities and store manager/store security if it happens again and there is concern. Good luck, hope nothing comes of this tho.

honestly, i think you're all overreacting massively to one phone call...
sorry, just my opinion

But it would be horrible if that one call was underestimated too.... :shrug:

I still think it would be okay, though, to let go at least one pre-emptive strike on somebody you don't like, or someone who just looks suspicious. You know, a good punch in the face, to get some of that tension out of your system

:macdevil:
:wink:

.........:shh::uhoh::shh:

Back
Top Bottom