I wanna get into shape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
i need some help about starting to get into shape, i do running, walking, and play soccer so my lower body is alright, but i'd love to get into upper body workouts but how slow should i start? I have a home gym (that i barely use) with weights but I don't know how much i should start on. Advice anyone?

PS: I'm looking for any workouts to tone, add muscle

Last edited:
Do you have a punching bag or anything like it? That is a great way to tone.

Here would be my recommendation:

Start lifting weights, chest, shoulders, arms, back. You must build muscle first in order to burn the fat.

In order to build the muscle, find a weight that you can feel a real burn or struggle around 8-12 reps. Meaning, once you get in that range, it really should be tough. Of course if you're using free weights (a bar specifically) please get a spotter :) I do my chest/shoulders together, and then arms and back the other days.

Don't overdue your arms though. You use your triceps/biceps with every upper body that you perform. So there's no need to over do the curling and tri exercises. Still do them, but don't spend as much time, unless you want Hulk Hogan arms. Or if you're a chick, China arms.

After doing the lifting, go into your cardio, or again, if you have that bag, spend 15-20 minutes punching it.

About 6 years ago I was very much into getting "bigger". After I started my tkd, I felt that was the wrong way to go. You want to be strong, but speed and flexibility is the best method. Here is my weekly workout:

6:30am Boflex (alternate days for different muscle groups
12:00pm Light Cardio at Gym (I get bored during my lunch)
5:30pm Tae Kwon Do

The boflex and light cardio is every day. My tkd is 3-4 nights a week depending on my mood and social schedule.

Good luck.

I do Tae Bo and it's really toned my whole body including the upper part. Sometimes I use weighted balls,resistant bands,or the amplifier bar with my workouts.

Push ups are really good to do too :up:

see your doctor first before starting any exercise. then start with walking, work into pilates or yoga then into weights and body toning and resistance. you need a routine and a buddy to keep it interesting

JCOSTER said:
YOGA! Its amazing what your body does.

:yes: And you discover lots of muscles you thought you never had! I recommend Iyengar Yoga, if you can find classes near you :)

Swimming would be another good activity for upper body strength.

unico said:
pushups!! basic, diamond, one-arm.

Also clap, fingertip and handstand push ups. But they all come in time.

I'd even do some crunches and sit ups. Maybe a pyramid routine everyday:

Do 10 push ups, then go right in to 10 crunches. then 9 push ups 9 crunches, But don't take a break. So it will be:

Push ups ---- Crunches
10-------------------10
9---------------------9
8---------------------8
7---------------------7
6---------------------6
5---------------------5
4---------------------4
3---------------------3
2---------------------2
1---------------------1

It's important, no break between push ups and crunches or between numbers

We do those every day at wrestling, and trust me you'll see some improvement. Mix with some weightlifting and agility and you're set :up:

Any questions feel free to ask me

My sister is a fitness guru & swears the best way to get fit no matter what your reason is to hire yourself a good personal trainer and stick to the regimen. Also, diet plays a real important part of the whole picture.

U2vertigofly said:

Also clap, fingertip and handstand push ups. But they all come in time.

I'd even do some crunches and sit ups. Maybe a pyramid routine everyday:

Do 10 push ups, then go right in to 10 crunches. then 9 push ups 9 crunches, But don't take a break. So it will be:

Push ups ---- Crunches
10-------------------10
9---------------------9
8---------------------8
7---------------------7
6---------------------6
5---------------------5
4---------------------4
3---------------------3
2---------------------2
1---------------------1

It's important, no break between push ups and crunches or between numbers

We do those every day at wrestling, and trust me you'll see some improvement. Mix with some weightlifting and agility and you're set :up:

Any questions feel free to ask me

Nice!
I like it :up:

I do a little of everything (pilates, cardio, weight training, yoga) and rotate them. If you don't have access to a gym or classes, in addition to some of the things mentioned already, you can do squats and lunges at home. I also do arm pumps using the kitchen counter--like if I'm waiting for water to boil or something I'll crank out a few arm pumps. Lunges and squats in front of the TV is one of the my favorite activities. I do all of the above somewhat religiously. Try a few different things and see what works for you.

And, don't forget to stretch.

i've started doing 3 sets of 8 on the benchpress
3 sets of 8 on the rowing machine
3 sets of 8 on the incline press
but it doesn't feel like a complete workout...how long does it usually take to see results?

Keep doing that for about 3-4 days a week for a month and you should start to see results. After about 3 months, increase the load.

And make sure to eat well.
It's a long process and requires focus throughout.
Don't do it because you wanna look good, do it because you wanna feel good.

I love the high feeling I get at the end of it :drool:

europop2005 said:
i've started doing 3 sets of 8 on the benchpress
3 sets of 8 on the rowing machine
3 sets of 8 on the incline press
but it doesn't feel like a complete workout...how long does it usually take to see results?

You're young, you should get pretty quick results although it's hard to put a time on it. In pilates they say you have a different body in 30 sessions which was about right for me but I'm a woman significantly older than you and change comes more slowly for me. I added the gym to my pilates workouts last March and I have a reeallly different body now. Things should go much, much faster for a young man like you.

Back
Top Bottom