I Think My Dog Is Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
I'm really upset. :( I know he's been sick for a long time, but it seems now as if there's no "point of return" and we've hit the final act. Tomorrow my mom's boyfriend is going to call the vet and ask them what they think we should do concerning him. :(

Spencer's a little over 10 years old, and for the past three years has had kidney problems, among other things. We first noticed it when he began "spotting" urine on the couch and other places he lies around the house, so we took him in and they gave him special food to help the kidneys function better. It really worked well, but then it all seemed to go downhill all at once. Over the last year or so he developed glaucoma in one eye, and lost quite a bit of weight and has trouble now using his hind legs (i.e.- getting up the stairs after going outside, jumping on my bed - he always lies next to me in the morning after sleeping in my mom's room all night). Since Christmas, though, it just seems to be getting worse. He's been moving really slow, and hardly ever eats his food anymore (lately we've been feeding him "regular" dog food, but sometimes he won't even touch that :slant: ). It's heartbreaking to watch this once lively, goofy, adorable dog struggle to even get up on my bed and to go to the bathroom.

I know, I hardly ever talk about him here cause I'm always going on about my cat (Mia), but I love this dog so much. It had been almost 6 years since my parents had sold my last dog when we got him, and I was thrilled to have an animal around again. My mom is the one who's really attached to him, kind of like me with Mia, so this is devastating to her (both of us, actually, I haven't stopped crying since she told me about calling the vet).

If he's in any pain, we'll do the right thing, but it'll be so hard letting go. :sad: :scream:

:sigh:

Mia & Spencer, sometime last year:

Attachments

• mia & spencer guilty.jpg
    mia & spencer guilty.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 143
aww! April im soo sorry, im here if you need to talk. I went through what you are going through last year with my dog Maddy and it was really hard to deal with bc she had been around the family so long!!! :hug:

Awww, he looks like such a sweetie :cute:

I don't think there is a harder decision to make really. It sounds like he probably is reaching end-stage kidney failure, their calcium levels tend to get all screwed up and as the body sucks it out of the bones to try to keep enough in the bloodstream, their bones get weaker and weaker and can appear arthritic (like he's sounding). That's how my dog was at the end - just refused to do stairs and wasn't eating, my mom took him to the vet and when they felt his jaw it was just mush - he couldn't eat even if he wanted to :(

The other sad thing was that this vet visit took place while me and my sis were away at camp, and they put Sandy to sleep before we got home - talk about a crummy homecoming when camp was done. But I think that's what really inspired me to become a vet, so something good ended up coming out of it.

It might help to ask the vet for his/her opinion - what would they do if it was their dog? Ultimately it's your choice though, you and your mom know him best, how much he's changed and how much pain he's in. I'm sure your vet would be willing to give him something for the pain if you guys need a little more time too. You might ask if it's an option to have someone come out to the house to put him to sleep when the time comes.

If you have any questions, I'm here and you can always PM or even call me if you want. :hug:

I'm sorry to hear it. I must admit that my own cocker spaniel died after prolongued illness (ironically enough on 9/11/2001 of all dates).

Take care...

Melon

:( I know how you feel.. with what I just went through with Sasha. Its so hard to let them go. But if he's doing this bad and in pain its not fair to let him live. :sad: I didnt even get to say goodbye to Sasha, as she didnt live with me since I cant have pets in my apartment. Rick just took her one day while I was at work. It was horrible to go over there and have him tell me she was gone. Give him all the love you can in his last days. He will remember it. :( :hug:

:hug:

I'm sorry about Spencer. :( I have a pet dog who's getting on in years, and she's getting sicker as times goes on (stomach, leg, ear, temperament problems). My parents thought she was going to die this past fall, but she's doing better now. I'm afraid that she's going to die while I'm away at school and I won't be able to say goodbye.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I lost a dog just about a year ago. Last February, to be exact, and it was heart-wrenching. He dies suddenly while I was away at school of a brain tumour. One one had any idea...he was just 4 years old.

The important thing is, as mentioned above, to give Spencer the most amount of love possible in the next few days. It's terrible to lose a pet. They really are a part of the family.

I am so sorry of what you are going through. I have been down that road myself. My dog had heart problems, and it was always touch and go with him. I wanted the Vet to put him to sleep. but the Vet told me that my dog Sam wasn't ready for that yet. Sam died peacefully in his sleep a month later.
I know that it is hard to let go. You are in my thoughts. :(

I think I have told you this before

My mother had a beloved dog when she was first married called Spencer, and ever since I can remember she has wanted to own a cocker spaniel. One day , I'll get her one.
I was laying on the floor crying a few days ago 'cause my little dog was so sick and hiding in the cupboard and making it soooooo difficult to handle him.He's OK now.
So I know your depth of feeling. It is a final act of kindness for a faithful friend. It's part of life and the responsiblity of being his owner and friend.
Potter was the first dog I had to do that for, I cry now thinking about that day, but I know it was for the best. Now I'm just observing Gustovox in his decline and enjoying every moment we have with him. Knowing all this doesn't make it any easier for you...but he loves you, he'll understand.
Best wishes to you and your mom.Good luck:hug:

April...I am so sorry to hear this...:hug: :sad:

I've had the pleasure of meeting Spencer...what a sweet, sweet dog. My family has had many pets, which means we've gone through many pet deaths. It is never easy.

I'm always here if you need to talk. :heart:

Hey April....it's Autumn here....
I'm deeply sorry about your doggy...I've got one of my own...*major* dog person here...and I've got a 6 year old Siberian Husky that is healthy *knock on wood*...but still, every day and several times a day I'll check on her while she's sleeping to see if she's still breathing....yah...maybe a bit obsessive but I love her beyond words....so I can relate to ya here...
Praying for you and Spencer:sad: :hug: :heart:
Hang in there....and as you can see, there's lots of peeps here for you, myself included.

Last edited:
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Thanks everyone. I was crying most of Sunday night and yesterday. :sad: They told us that they would have to see him, of course, before they can really offer any sort of opinion on what to do, but really it's only a matter of time. :sigh:

:hug: hang in there, sweetie :hug:

April I just read this, and I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope your vet can do something to make him more comfortable. He's very lucky to have you and your mom.

:heart: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom