I think deer are cute but stupid.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
Blah. I was involved in my first deer crash last night. It's actually probably pretty surprising that I am 26 and a lifelong Michigan resident and have never hit a deer.

Karl was driving, thankfully he had slowed down enough that the deer landed on our hood and not the windshield or the roof - that would have been really bad, especially if it had been a buck with antlers. It didn't die right away; I could tell it was really stunned, just sat there in the road. We were right next to a driveway so we pulled in there trying to figure out what to do. We didn't want it to get hit again so we shouted at it to try to get it to move, and it dragged itself to the other side of the road where there was a field. It slowly scooted off, but I didn't want it to just die there slowly in the snow. We called the cops to file a report for the insurance, and I knew they would end up shooting the deer.

I know it's not our fault, it was truly a deer-in-the-headlights situation. There was actually a total of 7 of them together, so I guess it's good that we only hit one. Thankfully we are both ok, I'm still pretty stiff, but it could have been alot worse, people have died in these kind of accidents. We even have an auto-body shop hook-up so we won't have to worry about our insurance deductible.

I just feel so bad :( I'm supposed to help animals, and there was nothing I could do :sad:

:hug: Beth :hug:

Living in Michigan, I've been in a couple accidents with deer, especially considering that I used to live in the country when we lived in the U.P. One was particularly bad...the deer flew up onto the hood, slid up the windshield onto the roof of the car, and went over onto the trunk before falling down onto the road. I also hit one the night of my high school graduation...I had slammed on the brakes and ended up hitting it in the legs and knocking the poor dear over. I thought I'd broken his legs, but he got up and walked away...and my car wasn't even damaged. I know some folks who have had some run-ins as well...it's never pleasant.

Don't blame yourself...no matter how good of a driver you are, sometimes those deer just come out of nowhere. It sure makes your heart pound though!

I don't know how many times a deer has jumped out in front of me...it puts your heart right in your throat. Especially in those early morning hours..right around the time that I go to work.

Just be thankful that you and your husband were not hurt or worse.

Don't feel bad about not being able to do anything about it either. There was nothing you could do...I don't mean this to sound silly, but the deer wasn't going to say "oh hey it's bonosloveslave, she'll make me all better!" If the police or animal control went out and shot the deer, it would certainly be better than the poor thing being hurt and in pain for a long period of time.

Living in upstate New York I am very familiar with the deer-in-the-headlights thing. I've never been in an accident but I know plenty of people who have. I know it can be very upsetting but thank goodness you're alright. Just remind yourself of all the good you do for animals every day! :)

Coincidentally, one of my uncles from Wisconsin just called. He had spent all day working on fixing his car. He took it out for a test drive, and two deer ran out in front of him. He slammed on the brakes and avoided hitting them, but he ran the car into a ditch...smucked it up.

I hate deer, far too stupid.

Drove to Mesa, Arizona this weekend, spent an entire night trying to watch for them and dodge them on the road.

BLS-
Hmm..
The deer is now in a better place:)
Free of all worries, no longer afraid, dodging no more cars..
living blissfully..
happily.:)

DB9

:sad:

Oh, that SUCKS. Really.

I feel very fortunate that I spent 5 years driving around in the UP and never hit a deer. I had a few close calls but, thankfully, thats all they were.

:hug: to BLS and the deer

Thanks guys :hug:

Feeling better today, but hoping I can get to my chiropractor sometime this week.

On another up note, we switched auto insurance recently, and I had forgotten that we decided to spring for rental car coverage - one less thing to worry about when we can finally get it in to the body shop :)

Back
Top Bottom