I really suck at being a girl....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations! :up:

I was like you - not too good at the girly stuff either! I basically rang my mum and then SHE told everyone else! lol As far as setting a date - just do it when you're ready.... there is no rush!

Ohhh and I love your ring - it is beautiful! :)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
So, I got a dress today.....for only $49.99 :wink:

After all the girliness I had to muster to get my ears pierced, I'm happyI've compromised by going with a used dress. It's a bit big, but my aunt is amazing with sewing and a total perfectionist, so it should be fine. If not, my mom volunteers at the store where we found it (a local store like a Goodwill) and she can return it.

It's this dress (same designer), except mine has more of a neckline and thin straps, the color is not quite as bright of a white, and the back has a slight V shape.

http://www.morilee.com/DressDetail.aspx?C=1&D=3605&P=1

:) It is pretty gown.

I hope your fiance does not see this the link to the dress. :silent:

So, I got a dress today.....for only $49.99 :wink:

After all the girliness I had to muster to get my ears pierced, I'm happyI've compromised by going with a used dress. It's a bit big, but my aunt is amazing with sewing and a total perfectionist, so it should be fine. If not, my mom volunteers at the store where we found it (a local store like a Goodwill) and she can return it.

It's this dress (same designer), except mine has more of a neckline and thin straps, the color is not quite as bright of a white, and the back has a slight V shape.

http://www.morilee.com/DressDetail.aspx?C=1&D=3605&P=1

WOW!! The dress is gorgeous! :up:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

:) It is pretty gown.

I hope your fiance does not see this the link to the dress. :silent:

He's already seen me IN the dress, hehe. Honestly, I never even knew that tradition existed until a few years ago. :shrug:

I like how I have to pay $500+ to rent a church I'm a professing member of and have attended since birth!!! So much for the CRC's favorite buzzwords: community, fellowship, and stewardship. :mad: :tsk:

9 months out and the madness has already begun...

Ha! Yours did it too? I've spat venom many times on here before about the bastards at both the C of E and Catholic churches we tried for our wedding. One telling us sinners such as ourselves were not welcome, (because, God knows, each having an English and Australian parent and therefore one C of E and one Catholic each and THAT is so fucking rare in Australia...shitheads, but anyway) and the other telling us once we did 6 months of attendance with 6 weeks of marriage counselling plus a $500 booking fee and $700 donation* cough, we told all of them to shove it up their arses and got a family minister friend to come to the gardens of the reception and do an outstanding outdoor ceremony which I am sure God or Buddha or whoever else happened to look down on, smiled at.

:mad:

Do I sound a tad bitter? Sorry. Weddings are like magnets for all the money sucking scummery to come and try their damnedest on you. Save money where ever and whenever you can. You're thrifty by nature, clearly, dont be swayed.
-Get a family member with a handicam to do your videography. They'll know the best things to film to boot, having known you well your whole life.
-Pick a family member/friend who is confident to do your MCing and speaking.
-See if you can get a friend of friend to do a cheaper DJing for you, as I'm sure you know an abundance of friends/students who'd love to earn a few cheap easy bucks?
-Contact the other bride if the church is doing a joint ceremony. What I mean is, if yours if the PM wedding, see if there is an AM ceremony and see if you can split the costs with her party for the church's flowers and so on. Do the same with the reception place. Things like table flower arrangements, chair covers, all that crap can be split between you both if there is 2 events on the same day and you both agree to pretty much the same decorations.

And lastly, great dress and ring! Congrats to you both :)

So far, the church rental looks like it will be the most expensive thing ($550 which includes my membership rate *snort*).

Videography - not doing it, not into family videos

MCing/DJing - not having a full blown reception, just open house style gathering right after the wedding

I got the dress and it was only $50. Someone is going to refer me to a lady that does flower arrangements from her home for cheap. Someone else is referring me to a local photographer who does a great job AND gives you ALL of the digital images and ownership as part of the cost. Plus, Phil's uncle is brilliant with a camera so I'm only paying a professional for the posed shots of family and the wedding party.

I'm shooting for $1500 total budget...

What a very beautiful dress. With spaghetti straps and the V back it will even be better. I like that style - kind of simple and very elegant at the same time.

Phil is a lucky guy.

Good call on the video. Some friends of ours video taped their wedding (they were married the same day we were - oh so long ago). So we watched their tape with them.

Interestingly, all they noticed were a series of minor flaws from the ceremony (a look, a hand gesture, word choice, etc.). Anyone at the wedding would never have noticed these things.

I took some pics of the dress. I think it looks stupid b/c it's completely shapeless when it's just hanging there, but at least you get the idea....

The Front
Picture%20088-1.jpg

Picture%20089-1.jpg

Picture%20090-1.jpg

Picture%20091-1.jpg

The Back
Picture%20092.jpg

Picture%20093.jpg

Picture%20094-1.jpg

I haven't read all 5 pages, but just a suggestion. Don't know how big or small the wedding is or how formal. Perhaps you can buy disposable cameras to spread around (reception), and the guests can photograph moments as well. Could be costly, I dunno - never done it. But I've heard it being done before. Did you get my last message about the music (you can PM me or ignore, it's ok)

So far, the church rental looks like it will be the most expensive thing ($550 which includes my membership rate *snort*).

I'm completely floored by the cost of the church. :huh: In my area, all that was required back in the dark ages when I used to be married (heh) was an honorarium to whomever was officiating.

Gorgeous dress, I love the back! :love: Can't wait to see pics of you in it!

That is a beautiful dress! And it's even prettier considering what a bargain you got on it,lol,jk. Really you are going to make a beautiful bride :). I can't wait to see pictures of you in it either. When is the date of the big day?

Lila64 said:
I haven't read all 5 pages, but just a suggestion. Don't know how big or small the wedding is or how formal. Perhaps you can buy disposable cameras to spread around (reception), and the guests can photograph moments as well. Could be costly, I dunno - never done it. But I've heard it being done before.

I just went to a VERY upscale wedding recently (frightening to even imagine what they spent) and they did this. I thought it was actually a great idea and it did inspire conversation between people at the table who had never met before. But if you're having a very small wedding it probably doesn't matter.

Then somebody at our table pawned the camera, LOL!

I am very late but CONGRATS!!!!!!!! :hug:

And both the dress and the ring are beautiful.

Good luck and don`t stress too much; but I am sure you won`t...

sonicsmurf said:
Yes, a belated congratulations on your engagement. I wonder which U2 songs your going to pick for your wedding reception!? :dance:

Funny...b/c at this very moment I'm listening to a bunch of my music on my computer, kinda sorting through things, and then I got to thinking what songs I like and such. We won't have music playing, like for dancing, b/c we're not doing that, but I'll probably have something on softly for background noise and I'm also making a video of our pictures, so I need a song or a few songs for that. Honestly, I can't think of any U2 songs I like for the atmosphere of this wedding.... :hmm:

ETA: I forgot about Yahweh :heart:

AIWIY is a great song, one of my faves, but it's just not "us". It's too symbolic, lovey-dovey.

Last edited:
When my brother got married in September he didn't have the dancing at the reception either. They just had music playing in the background which I thought was really nice. Especially when me and my bf recognized "Beautiful Day" playing,lol.

OOTS is a great choice Lies! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom