I really suck at being a girl....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dazzlingamy said:

Also, if you don't want a traditional dress (but still want it white :wink: ) there are some great cocktail dresses, or formally dresses that you can pick up that you then can wear again.

Very good point! My mom was 18 when she got married so she just wore her prom dress. It was one of those that didn't look like it was specifically for a dance but a really nice special occassion. Plus the bonus was that it was white,lol.

Congrats, Lies!

You've gotten some great advice so far, so I don't have much to add. My only regret from my wedding day was that we didn't think about a videographer until the last minute, and so our wedding video is pretty poor. If videos and photography are important to you, make sure you get that taken care of in plenty of time (and possibly be willing to pay for good service).

Hey guys,
Thanks for the compliments and advice from everyone. You're all so kind.

Um, Chili and cornbread. Now we're talking:yes:

Miro/April-no problem. I think I bought the ring honestly when she was gone. I've had this thing for a long time. But I knew she didn't want too much on her plate w/ school/work etc. in her first semester, so i just looked at it every night in anticipation. When I found it, I knew I had to have it though so, I didn't care.

Got Philk? said:
Hey guys,
Thanks for the compliments and advice from everyone. You're all so kind.

Miro/April-no problem. I think I bought the ring honestly when she was gone. I've had this thing for a long time. But I knew she didn't want too much on her plate w/ school/work etc. in her first semester, so i just looked at it every night in anticipation. When I found it, I knew I had to have it though so, I didn't care.

Aw!! :cute:

Glad we could be of help then :sexywink:

And as everyone else said, the ring is indeed gorgeous... :heart:

hmmmm, a sale you say?

I did look online the other night b/c I was bored. Here's the ones I bookmarked:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=302&prodgroup=10
http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=1897&prodgroup=10
http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=1739&prodgroup=10
http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=1886&prodgroup=10
http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2018&prodgroup=10
http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2295&prodgroup=10
http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=1890&prodgroup=10

I'm not a big fan of the popular ones that are like a strapless corset and then a big poofy...thing...at the bottom. I'd like something with some sort of strap and an actual neckline. Something more simple, more like a dress than something really tight on top and poofy on the bottom. The last one I linked is strapless though and I like the way it gathers at an angle to create some line other than straight across the chest.

I REALLY like the dress Morleigh wore and her and Edge's wedding, though it's a tad poofier on the bottom than I like, but I like the ivory color
96d7789d.jpg

I would start thinking now about your overall budget, as well as breaking down into categories how much you will spend on the dress, reception, honeymoon etc. What worked well for us was deciding the amount, letting people know what our limit was, and see what they could make happen. This worked out really well for our reception where if we had gone by their price lists, we would have never been able to have our reception there. We also had an awesome Hawaiian honeymoon - we went to a travel agent and said we have $xxxx to spend, what can we get for that? Happy planning! :wave:

Yeah...the budget part is what scares me. I guess that's why I haven't been able to pick a date or pick much of anything yet. I'm flat broke at the moment and being in college still, it's really impossible for me to say where I'll be financially six months or so from now so I guess I'm holding back making all these plans. I don't see how we can afford even a modest wedding while we're both still living paycheck to paycheck.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Yeah...the budget part is what scares me. I guess that's why I haven't been able to pick a date or pick much of anything yet. I'm flat broke at the moment and being in college still, it's really impossible for me to say where I'll be financially six months or so from now so I guess I'm holding back making all these plans. I don't see how we can afford even a modest wedding while we're both still living paycheck to paycheck.

I thought parents were the ones who are supposed to pay for weddings?

Windmilllane said:

Believe me, if my parents could pay, they would. I'm sure they'll help, but I don't expect them to.

Iris, I love that dress....I wish it had a front view.

I don't like strapless and poof either

The ones you bookmarked are all beautiful. I don't know how many/ what styles they mark to $99, but if you go to the store wear your sneakers and be prepared to catfight :wink:

you can do it:yes: Mr Dis and I got married in September...we don't have any extra money..we had a beautiful wedding for 600 bucks:D my dress was a non traditional wedding dress I got for $37 he he he......

Got Philk? said:

I have :drool: - worthy recipes for both, if you're interested! (And for no charge, to boot!) :laugh:

Last edited:
Windmilllane said:

That is an older custom that doesn't really apply nowadays. If both the bride and groom are adult and independent, there is no reason why they shouldn't pay for their own wedding. :shrug:

That looks almost exactly like the promise ring I gave to my ex when I was 17....

I'm sure it's not, but kinda freaky nonetheless.

Congratulations! Your ring is absolutely beautiful.

I don't have any advice that hasn't already been mentioned here, but I wish you the best of luck in your preparations!

I like how I have to pay $500+ to rent a church I'm a professing member of and have attended since birth!!! So much for the CRC's favorite buzzwords: community, fellowship, and stewardship. :mad: :tsk:

9 months out and the madness has already begun...

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
That looks almost exactly like the promise ring I gave to my ex when I was 17....

I'm sure it's not, but kinda freaky nonetheless.

I suppose it could be. It's from Rogers & Hollands and I think Phil picked it from a display, so it's not like he designed it to be one-and-only (they don't have it anymore though). I like it a lot. I don't know anything about jewelry (see title of thread), but apparently it's "the best sapphire in Grand Rapids" b/c you can see all the way through it. Cool. :shrug:

I've made the first big step towards becoming more "girlified" - I got my ears pierced today :D
You are braver than I. I find needles scary and piercings would have been a dealbreaker, and I'm a guy...:lol:

I'm sure they look great though...:)

So, I got a dress today.....for only $49.99 :wink:

After all the girliness I had to muster to get my ears pierced, I'm happyI've compromised by going with a used dress. It's a bit big, but my aunt is amazing with sewing and a total perfectionist, so it should be fine. If not, my mom volunteers at the store where we found it (a local store like a Goodwill) and she can return it.

It's this dress (same designer), except mine has more of a neckline and thin straps, the color is not quite as bright of a white, and the back has a slight V shape.

http://www.morilee.com/DressDetail.aspx?C=1&D=3605&P=1

^:drool:

It's gorgeous, Lies.... and you'll be stunning in it. :yes:
Congrats on successfully completing one of your largest hurdles - finding a dress that doesn't cost more than the down payment on your first home! :up: :wink:

That is a great find on the dress! And you'll be beautiful in it. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom