i really dont see the big deal about school proms...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
our prom is like 4 months away, and all people ever do is TALK ABOUT THE PROM!! :mad: some have already bought their dresses, some bought them last year...:der:

i really dont get the big deal about them. its just the same as any other party as far as im concered, but with fancy clothes. :|

maybe im just bitter cos no-ones gonna ask me to go. :wink: im not gonna go either way, i look crap in a dress. :huh:

and yearbooks?! why would i want to pay £10 for a book of pictures of people i dont even like?? :eyebrow:

:lol:

I never saw the appeal of proms either. We could go to ours from our sophmore year on (it was a very small school). I never went to any. Always seemed like bad food, horrid music (no one ever liked what I liked (even if they did it would still get butchered at a prom), bad dancing, and bad dates. And it cost a lot -- though no where near what it costs now.

I did get my high school yearbooks (I think the price was included in the various fees we had to pay -- it was a long time ago), but I didn't even show up to get my photo taken for my college yearbook (senior year. don't think I made it in any others either). I was just not my kind of thing.

They now call it a 'prom' in the Isle of Man??:(

What's wrong with dress dance, dance, debs etc?

'Prom' is an Americanism.

financeguy said:
They now call it a 'prom' in the Isle of Man??:(

What's wrong with dress dance, dance, debs etc?

'Prom' is an Americanism.

Poor financeguy :(

:wink:

I went to five (what can I say I liked the older men in HS) and seriously, I never understood how girls went completley INSANE over finding a dress, and then finding the perfect shoes to match said dress and to think of all the poor hairdressers that had to deal with the hysterics of making the hair look just so. :rolleyes:

Now the parties after the proms were rather fun...:wink:

i went to mine on my own. i don't regret it. i was one of the few people who stayed sober while everyone made asses of themselves. go alone and TAKE A CAMERA. you will not regret it.

^ :shocked: You were allowed alcohol at your HS prom?!? (Or are you talking about the after party?)

And I went to my grad in year 10. I've got another one this year, and I'll probably go to that one as well. I love getting dressed up, and there's not much pressure to get dates or anything. I think even a lot of the popular girls flew solo at my year 10 one.

I went to my high school prom solo in my senior year. Had the time of my life! A bunch of my friends were there so we just all hung out together even though others had dates. To me proms are just about making memories and a good time. Didn't go out and spend outrageous money on a dress though. Still I looked so beautiful :cute: :wink:

I went to about 17 over two years.....I was the girl that was friends with all the guys and was the "last ditch" date. You know..."iasked other people but they all said no and I don't want to go alone blah blah. Every one of them was super fun though b/c I never had to worry about "hooking up". I was just there to have fun.

And no I did not get a new dress for each one...I had three:wink:

I do say you should go however. However cheesy and lame it is, it is soemthing you need to experience.

ljclary said:
However cheesy and lame it is, it is soemthing you need to experience.

Even if it to say in later life how cheesy and lame your experience was:wink: :wink:

Sorry to quote myself:reject: :reject:

The only high school dance I ever went to was senior banquet, and only because I found a pretty dress for only $60 and all my friends decided we'd just go together. The dance itself was hopelessly boring, but it was kinda fun to hang out and get ready before hand. My friend mom put my hair up in a bunch of braid and braided in little flowers and let me wear her grandma's pearls.

The big conflict at my school was that a lot of the girls had to skip school the day of to make their hair/nails/make-up/tanning appointments.

I have no desire to go to prom :shrug: I have a dress I could wear, but I don't like the whole crazy walking down the red carpet thing. Way too much intensity.

You know you are beautiful...you go.....I was large in high school..I played sports and wasn't what you would call a social chick...yet I loved what I had....Love it...flaunt it...and who cares about them bitches....

F-the red carpet...just wear the dress :wink: :wink: :wink:

I don't understand the big deal of school dances, proms, etc.

but I think what adds more to my negative perspective about dances, etc. is that my boyfriend and I actually broke up because I didn't want to go to one :rolleyes:

but besides that, the majority of my friends are obsessed with shopping for everything and spending mounds and mounds of their money, which I find is very stupid for one night of... 'fun'.

everytime my friends enjoy their time at a dance or prom or something, the friends that didn't go and I went to the mall or someplace and enjoyed our time there (much less populated then usual). :up:
I'd say that that's the only great thing about prom. :|

ljclary said:
However cheesy and lame it is, it is soemthing you need to experience.

Nah, it really isn't something you need to experience. If you want to go, that's fine. If you don't want to go, that is also fine. Don't do anything simply because it supposed to be some sort of rite of passage. Think for yourself and do what you want to do.

I never went to any proms or dances...I was one of the high school invisible. I would have probably spent the whole time in the corner anyway as I am wont to do.

I loved having the yearbooks though, because my friends and I would write very funny comments in them. The problem was that I gave one of my yearbooks to someone to sign, she ended up taking it home and I never got it back after years of trying. I am so annoyed to have that hole in the set! :mad: It was the year I did my stand up comedy routine and I got a lot of great comments on it that I never did get to see.

Meredith Munger, if you're out there, give me back my yearbook!!! :scream:

Give us some stand up comedy...what did you do??? :hyper:

I went to one prom too many; in the 60's, it was apparently popular for "the couples" to announce who was going to "be married"....and yes, by the end of the evening, with my arm twisted up behind my neck, a foot in my lower back and a gun pointed at my head, I was kidnappend and forced to the microphone to announce that the inevitable would occur.....:sad: beat me like a drum for what happened....I was doomed. :yikes:

I've got a prom pic somewhere; maybe I'll post it...:hmm:

Some people like proms and high school, some people don't. I'm glad I am in college now, and don't have to deal with things like that in the high school sense. You get a little more liberty here, in my opinion.

Here is my senior prom picture from 97

Shannon-Prom.jpg

MooMoo! said:

and yearbooks?! why would i want to pay £10 for a book of pictures of people i dont even like?? :eyebrow:
:lol:

that's like 20 bucks here. the yearbooks at my school cost NINETY DOLLARS. :shocked: it's disgusting, I will never by one...they are full color and they're like fucking coffee table books or something. anyway i've got like 2 true friends and maybe 2 dozen people whose face i ever want to see again, and I can take my own pictures. ;)

i'll probably go to prom but i doubt i'll want to and if i can't find a dress for under 50 dollars, i'm not going. staying sober and bringing a camera doesn't sound like a bad idead though.

Back
Top Bottom